• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

Another major rain event anytime soon would be un-imaginable. Many damns, burms and retaining walls have been compromised. Bridges are still being evaluated. Roads everywhere are washed out. Traffic on my road has doubled because it is currently the only way out of Colrain and Leyden. Streams are re-routed. The Green River near my house is literally flowing about 50' east of where it was a few days ago.

edit: This area has also suffered millions of dollars in crop losses.

Yeah here in CT that's going to wind up being the biggest hydro issues. The areas that normally flood in the spring on the main rivers are flooding in late August. Big problems for agriculture.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like many in se mass still without power. Parents still have no power, and most of Marshfield apparently, but my wife's parents just got there power back. Some shingles damages too, but luckily just trees to clean up.

getting better now. Most of Plymouth came to life last night. The people that are screwed are the end of street 10 person outages which won't see a light for days. Up by Easton they cut the outages in half last night.

Let me tell you first hand, Fu. Ck the Gov't they are useless. My power line was hanging across the road windshield height, called state police, local police, state gov't, town hall, nobody responded. An 18 wheeler asswipe came down the hill, drove over the barrier my neighbor put up, caught the wires on his exhaust, almost decapitated my wife and grandson, lucky the fell off. If a serious cane hits, we are Fu cked. Taxes, bul. Ll. Sh. It

100% agree. But I'll say this it depended a TON on the towns. In Onset when I went to the water Sunday a tree had JUST fallen behind the car. I went down to the water for 15 minutes came back and the Onset FD (Wareham) had already cut and cleared the tree. In other Towns the FD will cut a few branches but doesn't do anything leaving it all for the utilities. Either way like you said....my view of this excluding the coastal flooding in CT and rain in VT....the prep and recovery stinks. This was a modest TS and they seemed ill equipped during and after the storm in MA/RI/CT.

Does anyone have an idea why the power outages were as prolific as they were?? Bill O'Reilly asked the question tonight about the area he lives in....on Long Island's Nassau County.

I'm quite surprised about the extent of the Rhode Island power outages. I didn't see any powerlines down and serious tree damage was minimal. Tree damage was extensive here during Bob, moderate during Gloria, but minimal this time...yet power outages either matched or exceeded those during two bona fide hurricanes. Are the electric companies getting cheap in maintaining their systems. The winds I experienced were comparable to Edourad, March 1993, Jan. 2005, and Floyd and none of those events knocked out power to more than 20 thousand in Rhode island.

Gloria was a lot later. I think leaves gave it up faster and just fell off. Very few leaves even came off trees here. We've had a wet summer, remember areas up around Bob/Easton have had many inches of rain this summer, full canopies, softer ground. I think in the post-mortem one will look at that intense band that moved SW to ENE across MA but scooted out well to my north as the band that brought the hate. That's when people dropped off the grid up there. Down here it was on the wind turn Will talked about. It did damage, but it seemed to be more one tree per outage, so they are getting it back online very quickly down here.

Weenies!!! I'm at work today at the office..Nice to be back in the land of the living lol.

Still no power at home..They told us it could be out until Saturday. Extensive tree and powerline damage all thruout Tolland. The entire town was without power. Pretty tough to accomplish that. many trees still down across wires this morning as I drove by. Some power poles were snapped.

I lost one tree in my yard..and spent 8 hrs outside yesterday cleaning up the yard.

Other than that no injuries..just some spoiled food..and dark dark nights with early bedtimes.

I even lost the internet on my cell phone as the cell towers were damaged..so I haven't been able to keep up with too much other than the newspaper.

Now let's track Katia!!

100% agree. But I'll say this it depended a TON on the towns. In Onset when I went to the water Sunday a tree had JUST fallen behind the car. I went down to the water for 15 minutes came back and the Onset FD (Wareham) had already cut and cleared the tree. In other Towns the FD will cut a few branches but doesn't do anything leaving it all for the utilities. Either way like you said....my view of this excluding the coastal flooding in CT and rain in VT....the prep and recovery stinks. This was a modest TS and they seemed ill equipped during and after the storm in MA/RI/CT.

It also depends on which town you are. The mayor here made some pretty crappy remarks (in my opinion) disparaging CL&P who is probably working as hard and as fast as they can in a town where 70% have power. Same with mayor of Stamford. I've been trying to explain to the few people here that don't have power that we got off fairly lucky because almost no one in the eastern half of the state had power and that resources should be weighted toward that side of the state. Luckily the northern part of the state is pretty close to full restoration, so a good portion of those crews will start heading south. Based on their outage numbers it seems they made pretty good progress yesterday.

incredible vids and pics guys. sad to see the pub at killington go. we got crushed here too, 75% of ric had no power and trees are down everywhere

here is just and example of the damage all over ric. the rest of my pics are here http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/24811-irene-picturedamage-thread/

DSC01505.JPG

DSC01454.JPG

Went into Rehoboth, MA right near my house, extensive tree/power line damage, National Grid had 2 guys with a checklist and that was it. Cell towers near North seekonk must be down barely 1 bar of service. Power to most of RI has been somewhat restored, for instance Barrington, RI was 99% out of serivice, as of this morning only 4 % had no electricity. Seekonk is still with 44% out which seems to be in the whole North end powerless. Pretty shocked to see traffic lights out in larger cities with no police directing traffic.

Went into Rehoboth, MA right near my house, extensive tree/power line damage, National Grid had 2 guys with a checklist and that was it. Cell towers near North seekonk must be down barely 1 bar of service. Power to most of RI has been somewhat restored, for instance Barrington, RI was 99% out of serivice, as of this morning only 4 % had no electricity. Seekonk is still with 44% out which seems to be in the whole North end powerless. Pretty shocked to see traffic lights out in larger cities with no police directing traffic.

I think a lot of towers run off the grid. It isn't a matter of them just being damaged, if they are on auxillary power or have no backup power that'll do it too.

This says a lot, worst banded winds East. telling us 3-4 weeks, camp steveO

ouch, have you thought about staying somewhere else?

I've been given an estimate like that before and gave up on waiting and made plans to stay with relatives

a week, no prob, a month, no thanks

good luck

This says a lot, worst banded winds East. telling us 3-4 weeks, camp steveO

Eastern/southeastern ct is also quite rural so damage to power infrastructure can be more severe with less wind. Based on the damage I've seen the worst is east haven to Westbrook on the shoreline hands down.

Made out okay, considering. No power since 5:19 am Sunday & like Kev, not expected back until Saturday.

My house, along with my neighbors, appeared to take the worst of the wind on our street. I lost three trees, all of moderate size. The neighbor had a large tree split, which barely missed landing on his truck. Lots of hurricane salad in the backyard, but no big deal.

After Bob left is with no power for a week, we were prepared for this. Lots of food in the cooler (reloading ice at work), propane & charcoal at hand and plenty of candles & board games.

The devastation in Fairfield County, as well as Vermont & other northern locales is heartbreaking. Hope everyone else here made out okay.

They told us that the latest it would be is this weekend. I have a hard time believing it will be 3-4 weeks for anyone..Who told you that?

I read somewhere that there are parts in CT where infrastructure was so badly damaged, it will require a complete rebuild. I imagine most places will have power back by early next week...but I'm sure there's going to be some rural areas where its gonna take a bit longer.

Eastern/southeastern ct is also quite rural so damage to power infrastructure can be more severe with less wind. Based on the damage I've seen the worst is east haven to Westbrook on the shoreline hands down.

Ryan....Please see my post over in the Obs thread....I posted some maps comparing CT to surrounding places that fared far better than CT. The media needs to start asking some questions when one town can have thousands without power and the town next door (and across a state line) can only have a few hundred. It just doesn't add up. Then look at the map of the more rural Berkshires and it's even worse. There is something about our electrical infrastructure....something is not right!

I read somewhere that there are parts in CT where infrastructure was so badly damaged, it will require a complete rebuild. I imagine most places will have power back by early next week...but I'm sure there's going to be some rural areas where its gonna take a bit longer.

I had to scream when I heard on the radio some jackass legislature idiot went to a CLP meeting and they told him most of CT would have power back tomorrow, really has anyone seen the damage in ECT. Not one CLP truck anywhere and I have been all around from Thompson to NStonington. Where the he'll is FEMA with water buffalo trucks etc.

I had to scream when I heard on the radio some jackass legislature idiot went to a CLP meeting and they told him most of CT would have power back tomorrow, really has anyone seen the damage in ECT. Not one CLP truck anywhere and I have been all around from Thompson to NStonington. Where the he'll is FEMA with water buffalo trucks etc.

This is probably the same thing that happens in hurricanes in the Gulf. So much focus is on the big cities and right where the eye makes landfall...that more rural areas, despite perhaps being harder hit, completely get overlooked. Plus...it makes sense to focus on the larger population centers first. They put the majority of their resources in eastern CT right now, they could work for a couple days but half the state would still be without power and people would drill them about them not having a fast enough response. Whereas they focus on the Hartford area, the same amount of work is gonna reduce the amount of outages probably by 75%.

It's all Courtney's district...everyone else is getting help lol.

Same up here in the northern part of the state. Not a single utility truck. I can understand the damage as that happened in a lot of places, but no one can seem to explain to me why so many customers loose power in CT vs. other states with the same damage. I'm talking percentages here and that levels rural and more suburban areas.

Meh, most of our friends do not have power, especially just inland where the massive maples, oaks and ash trees took down poles and wires, have seen it first hand for two days. Many of them have been told do not expect power until Saturday or beyond, its everywhere.

They told us that the latest it would be is this weekend. I have a hard time believing it will be 3-4 weeks for anyone..Who told you that?

The town, 69 streets are closed, no work has been done at all, there are spots with no poles left, also branches on wires everywhere, not to mention the individual houses with lines down, not me anymore! 300 bucks and 5 neighbors with 2 contractors FTW put the service back together.

Archived