• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

ouch, have you thought about staying somewhere else?

I've been given an estimate like that before and gave up on waiting and made plans to stay with relatives

a week, no prob, a month, no thanks

good luck

Have done great preplanning, other than no generator, have the resources for water, showers nearby. No way I ever leave my home. This is really bull though, CLP is understaffed, have great line workers but so top heavy they look like Cold Misers avatars, has anyone heard from him? At my Moms in Westerly now taking first shower since Sun am, then to Misquamicut Beach to check it out.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have done great preplanning, other than no generator, have the resources for water, showers nearby. No way I ever leave my home. This is really bull though, CLP is understaffed, have great line workers but so top heavy they look like Cold Misers avatars, has anyone heard from him? At my Moms in Westerly now taking first shower since Sun am, then to Misquamicut Beach to check it out.

Miser checked in earlier. Ok, but without power.

This is probably the same thing that happens in hurricanes in the Gulf. So much focus is on the big cities and right where the eye makes landfall...that more rural areas, despite perhaps being harder hit, completely get overlooked. Plus...it makes sense to focus on the larger population centers first. They put the majority of their resources in eastern CT right now, they could work for a couple days but half the state would still be without power and people would drill them about them not having a fast enough response. Whereas they focus on the Hartford area, the same amount of work is gonna reduce the amount of outages probably by 75%.

I bet there's a little politicking going on as well.

Ryan....Please see my post over in the Obs thread....I posted some maps comparing CT to surrounding places that fared far better than CT. The media needs to start asking some questions when one town can have thousands without power and the town next door (and across a state line) can only have a few hundred. It just doesn't add up. Then look at the map of the more rural Berkshires and it's even worse. There is something about our electrical infrastructure....something is not right!

I will tell you right now that the primary reason the media, including the news staff where I work, will never touch CL&P is because they are a large paying customer of radio and TV stations throughout the state.

A CL&P lineman called my show last night to inform people that the infrastructure is the problem; not necessarily the power outages. He said that the reason the power outages went up so rapidly was not because of the weather; but because to save money CL&P opted to shut off entire electrical circuits instead of isolating a problem or sending a crew out. This is why many towns in Eastern CT have the issues they do. He also went on to remind us about backfeeding, etc.....but yes, CL&P's infrastructure is the problem - you can look at this:

Woodstock 84% without power as of 3:45pm this afternoon

Dudley, MA (10%) and Southbridge, MA (25%) right over the border

Chris--those pictures are staggering. Quite the photographer!

No problems at all up here at the Pit but all good thoughts to those in the Falls, the beaches, and all along the rivers in the inland areas that have to pull things together.

The 2 Shelburnes are not my photos. They are someone my wife knows in town. I'll get his name b/c he has an entire slideshow up on line.

Intense stuff!

I wonder if the Verizon strike that just ended is having a residual effect on phone and pole repairs?

I wonder if the Verizon strike that just ended is having a residual effect on phone and pole repairs?

I don't think Verizon operates in CT do they? CT uses what used to be SNET (not sure who owns them now AT&T?) for phone service except for the small section of Greenwich close to the NY border which does use Verizon.

Great article in todays globe putting this storm in perspective:

"Utility companies warned yesterday that it could take up to a week before power is restored to more than 500,000 residents in Massachusetts who remained without electricity in one of the largest outages in state history" "Tropical Storm Irene damaged more than 20 major transmission lines and caused the largest power outage in Massachusetts since an April 1997 snowstorm that knocked out service for 800,000 customers statewide."

So in terms of impact on the power grid, worst since the blizzard of 97.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/08/30/mass_outages_may_stretch_into_weekend/

Great article in todays globe putting this storm in perspective:

"Utility companies warned yesterday that it could take up to a week before power is restored to more than 500,000 residents in Massachusetts who remained without electricity in one of the largest outages in state history" "Tropical Storm Irene damaged more than 20 major transmission lines and caused the largest power outage in Massachusetts since an April 1997 snowstorm that knocked out service for 800,000 customers statewide."

So in terms of impact on the power grid, worst since the blizzard of 97.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/08/30/mass_outages_may_stretch_into_weekend/

Wow...that's pretty ridiculous. I was talking with someone last night and were were trying to remember a system which knocked out power to as many people in MA as this one did and we couldn't think of one...we didn't even think about the April '97 snowstorm...that's really impressive.

Good find

Wow Fairfield public schools not opening until next Tuesday, if its a snowy winter these kids will be in school until july ......:thumbsdown:

To elaborate further, the decision was made due to 25 roads closed because of downed trees and lines, 8 schools with no power, and of course all of the displaced families from the beach that were flooded. They left wiggle room for further cancellations if needed in the email.

I will tell you right now that the primary reason the media, including the news staff where I work, will never touch CL&P is because they are a large paying customer of radio and TV stations throughout the state.

A CL&P lineman called my show last night to inform people that the infrastructure is the problem; not necessarily the power outages. He said that the reason the power outages went up so rapidly was not because of the weather; but because to save money CL&P opted to shut off entire electrical circuits instead of isolating a problem or sending a crew out. This is why many towns in Eastern CT have the issues they do. He also went on to remind us about backfeeding, etc.....but yes, CL&P's infrastructure is the problem - you can look at this:

Woodstock 84% without power as of 3:45pm this afternoon

Dudley, MA (10%) and Southbridge, MA (25%) right over the border

Not surprised Adam, the damage up here has not been touched

To elaborate further, the decision was made due to 25 roads closed because of downed trees and lines, 8 schools with no power, and of course all of the displaced families from the beach that were flooded. They left wiggle room for further cancellations if needed in the email.

Who provides power there? For some reason there's a hole over Fairfield on CL&P's map which leads me to believe it's UI. They've gotten power back on down this way fairly quickly - between Greenwich and Stamford maybe 20% without power.

Who provides power there? For some reason there's a hole over Fairfield on CL&P's map which leads me to believe it's UI. They've gotten power back on down this way fairly quickly - between Greenwich and Stamford maybe 20% without power.

Its UI but really look at new canaan trumbull wilton and those areas between 60-100% outages, from what I have seen the damage is worse as you headed north and east, through my travels working the last two days.

Archived