• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
DC/MD/VA/WV Observations/Discussions Thread

ThePhotoGuy

day game.. 1:05. i guess the forecasts of rain were overdone today, yet again.

Hoping it is overdone again tomorrow then as well as my youngest is supposed to have day 1 of his soccer tryouts...and my zone forecast has increased the chance of rain to 90% for tomorrow. Course, it was 100% today for my zone, and while it rained a bit this morning where I am, not sure it covered enough of the area to verify the 100% chance they had out. Sunny now, we will see if that causes some rain a bit later.

It appears getting the precip amounts pegged correctly with a wandering cut-off low is difficult in the spring as it is in the winter.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not out this way. It has poured here time and time again all day. Currently in a deluge.

in areal coverage... and including my own forecast, which called for more widespread than recent days and waves of rain.

in areal coverage... and including my own forecast, which called for more widespread than recent days and waves of rain.

It is spotty, but man is it heavy in those spots. I have literally been able to watch the water level rise in my rain guage the past 20 minutes.

More storms are firing east and southeast of CHO, may be a long night around here for some folks if they make it.

Also, new TOR just went out for extreme western Shenandoah County...not a half bad looking storm on the last couple of scans

It's been raining NE of CHO forever it's crazy.

2.1" since yesterday at 9:00 PM. 3.92" since Friday.

Let's see what today brings.

Well today brought a couple more bouts of heavy rain, including another deluge this afternoon around 3:30 - 4:30. On my way home from work - just tailing the south end of a heck of another t-storm moving on NE - I saw honest to goodness water falls alongside RT 11, and many areas of the road with water rushing over it. I saw water flowing in places I've never seen it before. I got home and found 4.3" in my rain gage (just from last night at 9PM), so I got 2.2 inches today. That gives me almost 6 inches since Friday. The weird thing is that the wx bug station at R.E. Aylor has reported sig less each time. Does anyone have rain totals in the Frecrick Co (VA) area for comparison / confirmation?

I'd be more skeptical of my measurments if I hadn't seen the flooding that resulted. For good measure, sometime between 4:30 and 6:30 this evening (after the rain had ended) the float in my sump pump apparently became stuck, and returning from the gym I came home and found my basement flooded. It's been a real fun evening to say the least. Just got done with the cleanup for the evening. The restoration company will be back first thing in the morning to finish pulling out the carpet and bring in more dehumidifiers. I've lived here for almost a year and I don't think i've ever heard the sump kick on more than a handful of times. Once I got the pump running again it ran solid for an hour just getting the water out of the basement. Ever since, it kicks on about every minute or so. The ground is unimaginably wet. I've never seen anything like it

I went on another rain chase to Jefferson County in West Virginia Sunday thru Tuesday.

Jefferson County got hammered on Sunday afternoon, but on Monday night they got waterboarded like an Al Queada terrorist. Just unbelievable amounts of rain! Multiple downpours! I estimate at least 4 inches of rain over the past 60 hours. Probably more.

Dale City? All we've gotten from this multi day storm is 2.5 inches.

National Weather Service is staffed by geniuses. Near 100 percent chance of rain for Tuesday May 17. Yeah right for DCA

some roads in town still underwater. I may go take some photos later--this is the first day I'm allowed to drive since my surgery. :devilsmiley:

Looks like you guys are getting a turn with the heavy rains. Thankfully, down here we've had enough dry days in between the downpours for creeks to settle down before the next one. Though our share has worked it's way downstream to the Mississippi.

Good that you are getting out...always makes one feel better.

Archived