• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

I don't really understand this snowfall map out of LWX. First of all, it changes constantly. Secondly, the NAM just upped my precip, held it back for a short while, was colder, sooner, and this snowfall map total went down for me. Now, I know that what a forecast map has for me has no bearing on what actually happens, but I just wonder what the mechanism is that drives this map.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll update my forecast once the 12z NAM/GFS come in. Looking to go 2-4" for DC and 4-8" for Frederick/BWI, with 1-2" (2-4"?) in NoVA and southern MD.

Now this makes no sense to me. Here I am at the same latitude as BWI, higher elevation, colder, with as much or more modeled precip expected. Am I missing something in my model interpretation?

I'm just speaking from climo but it's all good...looks like we all have a decent shot at some good stuff which is all I care about.

i still havent seen heavy snow at my new house. I missed the entire Jan 27 storm in the hood being stuck on a Loudoun County bus. Hopefully, i will get home before the flakes fly. If we start off with snow and not ping, it could be a special storm

Guess watches will be extended at some point soon, then. Goodness knows the news channels in Baltimore are in catch-up mode. Channel 11 went with less than one inch on their 11:00 pm newscast last night.

At least B. Woods on WJZ said that there was a chance for a few inches. I have a feeling that quite a few people are going to be caught off guard later tonight and tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

Now this makes no sense to me. Here I am at the same latitude as BWI, higher elevation, colder, with as much or more modeled precip expected. Am I missing something in my model interpretation?

The snow track is something like WNW to ESE... after making some adjustments to my map I have you in the 2-4" just S of the 4-8" contour.

We are different out here. We have elevation and that helps.

To be fair, maybe he's referring to NoVA as the area south of DC. I trust his knowledge so I was just wondering if there was something that I wasn't seeing correctly. It does look good out here. And, as a sidenote, it sure looks like temps are going to be at least 20 degrees colder today than were forecast just about 36 hours ago.

Folks have to remember that to get anything super good on the roads the rates are going to have to be pretty hefty.

There will certainly be melting on the roads when this starts tonight, but no reason to expect that nothing will accumulate there. Will probably be a situation where there's 4" on the grass and 2" on the street.

I just hope the NAM as as right with this run as it was with its 12Z Christmas Day run

Haha I was thinking the same thing. We have seen at least one quirky pre-event run with the NAM this winter almost without fail. The good thing is, this one at least fits with the trend since yesterday, and HPC is going with a model blend.

Archived