e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, gives us around .25. Jason thought .30 which I guess is possible. The DCA sounding at 03Z is a sleet one.

I'll hope the 850s crash quicker but I'm not really banking on much of the pre 6z stuff being snow here. Would heavy precip be able to cool 850 faster than modeled?

I'll hope the 850s crash quicker but I'm not really banking on much of the pre 6z stuff being snow here. Would heavy precip be able to cool 850 faster than modeled?

Maybe a little as strong vertical motion causes cooling as does melting snowflakes though the latter is much less efficient than evaporation. It would be better if the band and frontal zone just slid south a little more.

I was guessing about 0.05-0.1 of the precip between 3z and 6z was snow on the NAM at DCA, but that might be a little aggressive.

I think it probably is but it's hard to say as a warm layer of anything less than plus 1C probably would get snow and it's 0.2C at 06Z . At any rate, it would argue that our 1 inch for dc is conservative and that rush hour might be a mess is the temps fall to 24 by 12Z.

27hr sounding at BWI is probably snow...borderline sleet with a nose above freezing between 775-825mb. Can't tell what the temp is exactly in that layer...looks mostly between 0-1C. 30 is definitely snow.

thin layer of +1C

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbsnd.cgi?id=KBWI&mo=nam&pl=none&ft=h27&cu=latest&pt=parcel&size=800x600

Certainly better than the last two runs. The mitchnicks and Phins of the world should be liking it more than us. I'd still be happy if DC and my house got 2 inches though I wish it wasn't coming in the wee hours of the morning.

yeah, it will be a darn shame for you to have to stay up all night to keep the weenies happy, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do :P

Less than 1C is often snow but it also depends on flake size some, 1C is usually sleet but it certainly would be mixing shortly.

at 27 hrs

BWI is +1C

my house is +.9C

Baltimore Science Center is +.6

I hate to seem like I'm fixating, but the 3 hr maps show around .2" qpf to fall between 27-30 hrs, which will obviously make a big difference

Archived