Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blew it up to 400%... the 0 line is south of DC by about 30-40 miles... -3c is right over DC or just north

same as earlier tho.. you are counting stuff that falls before the 0c line moves thru on this map. how much is unknown but it's not that much different than the op

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_pcp_036m.gif

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_p12_036m.gif

no matter what lwx says you gentlemen disagree. Its funny dt doesn;t think there is a """snowball chance""" of any snow at all, says its too warm, and lwx says some snow but very little accum..

Frankly LWX has dropped the ball a lot and ended up playing catch up. Mount Holly IMO is a better forecast office. Not to say their forecast will pan out but at this point they believe snow adv. will be likely for their eastern shore counties, most of DE and southern NJ. In defense of LWX thinking, these situations often do not pan out as the cold air typically takes longer to get in than the models would have you believe...so I am somewhat skeptical. I could see rain and 35 and just some wet snow at the very end just as easily as a 1-3 or 2-4 inch snowfall.

Frankly LWX has dropped the ball a lot and ended up playing catch up. Mount Holly IMO is a better forecast office. Not to say their forecast will pan out but at this point they believe snow adv. will be likely for their eastern shore counties, most of DE and southern NJ. In defense of LWX thinking, these situations often do not pan out as the cold air typically takes longer to get in than the models would have you believe...so I am somewhat skeptical. I could see rain and 35 and just some wet snow at the very end just as easily as a 1-3 or 2-4 inch snowfall.

Frankly, that is your opinion, and your not a public servant forecasting , either!!! Lets see how you''d do in their position. Its easy to criticize others. Why don't you tyry to be accountable for your forecasts, instead of here where there is no responsibility whatsoever!!!

edit, ever notice how humble wes is. He knows the pressure. He is an example of a true professional. !!!!A well trained, educated professional and trusted and liked by all on this board!!!

same as earlier tho.. you are counting stuff that falls before the 0c line moves thru on this map. how much is unknown but it's not that much different than the op

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_pcp_036m.gif

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_p12_036m.gif

Isn't the surface 0C line further south tho? GFS has the surface 0C line almost 30 miles south of the 850 0C. Could make a huge difference at DCA.

gfs_ten_036l.gif

Isn't the surface 0C line further south tho? GFS has the surface 0C line almost 30 miles south of the 850 0C. Could make a huge difference at DCA.

gfs_ten_036l.gif

i think most models have the surface cooling quicker.. which is why there is sleet in the forecast. i just get the impression people forget the lines are at the end of the period as is the green on the map--so it's not like a green blob that's incoming once we have cooled enough. the next panels of all these "sweet" maps are not super amazing -- yeah they have like .1" or so all snow etc. but these panels are partly or heavily liquid depending on where you are north to south.

i think most models have the surface cooling quicker.. which is why there is sleet in the forecast. i just get the impression people forget the lines are at the end of the period as is the green on the map--so it's not like a green blob that's incoming once we have cooled enough. the next panels of all these "sweet" maps are not super amazing -- yeah they have like .1" or so all snow etc. but these panels are partly or heavily liquid depending on where you are north to south.

L track still ideal for at least some frozen. Drop a few MBs tomorrow night and things get a lot more interesting. 2-3" for Moco seems like a fair call. It will be interesting to see where highs top out tomorrow afternoon. I doubt 60's will verify. L-M 50's would be better for our snow chances.

Frankly, that is your opinion, and your not a public servant forecasting , either!!! Lets see how you''d do in their position. Its easy to criticize others. Why don't you tyry to be accountable for your forecasts, instead of here where there is no responsibility whatsoever!!!

edit, ever notice how humble wes is. He knows the pressure. He is an example of a true professional. !!!!A well trained, educated professional and trusted and liked by all on this board!!!

umm, dude chill. i said IMO Mount Holly is a better FO. yes its my opinion. and i did say i see LWX's perspective in this situation. as a whole i think they tend to go too conservative on snow events. better to error in the other direction than be afraid of forecasting too much snow and it not panning out though i would think. and i don't make forecasts lmao. Have you been drinking tonight? ;]

L track still ideal for at least some frozen. Drop a few MBs tomorrow night and things get a lot more interesting. 2-3" for Moco seems like a fair call. It will be interesting to see where highs top out tomorrow afternoon. I doubt 60's will verify. L-M 50's would be better for our snow chances.

im sure we'll get some snow. im not sure how much tomorrow's temps really matter but lower is probably better.

im sure we'll get some snow. im not sure how much tomorrow's temps really matter but lower is probably better.

With such a small window anything helps. The quicker we can get to 32 the less wasting of limited snow.

The width of the stripe is too crazy but it keeps painting us white. Is it too much to ask that MD/Nova gets the jackpot just once this winter? Just once?!? lol

With such a small window anything helps. The quicker we can get to 32 the less wasting of limited snow.

The width of the stripe is too crazy but it keeps painting us white. Is it too much to ask that MD/Nova gets the jackpot just once this winter? Just once?!? lol

"yes", if you are on this Board and live anywhere else

Ah, I see. So it would be good to look at the previous 0c Line then. Brain fart :P

I guess we do start above freezing, how fast the line moves is what Id like to know. North and central MD is probably all snow if 18z GFS OP has merit.

gfs_ten_030l.gif

21z SREFs have 850 line crossing DCA around hr 30... by hr 33 its south of EZF and the -4c 850 line is just north of DC. 2m 0c temp crosses through DCA right around hr 32-33 and slowly sags south

This is the 12 hr QPF from hr 30-42... i would expect hr 30-32 would be rain transitioning to snow?

sref_x12_042s.gif

Looks like a solid 0.25"+ of snow QPF for most of central and northern MD, WV panhandle and extreme NVA. Need to wait for the plumes to load to get an idea of the spread.

Agree. Quick question... if surface is 30-32 degrees... but 850s are -4 to -6... does that make a difference on SR's? Or would they still be 10-1?

Archived