• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

30 hrs -- 850s are -4/-5 at DCA/IAD.... BWI/FDK/HGR are at -6. Surface 32 degree along a line from I would guess Luray to EZF? North of there is below freezing

Gah... I don't have the 30 hr QPF panel... I only have the 24 and the 36. The 24 has a nice juicy slug of moisture -- 0.5+ QPF in WV, N KY, S OH and a small area of 0.75+ QPF in C WV/ SE OH. The 30 hr I don't have. 36 hr QPF map is .1-.25 for all, which is snow

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah... I don't have the 30 hr QPF panel... I only have the 24 and the 36. The 24 has a nice juicy slug of moisture -- 0.5+ QPF in WV, N KY, S OH and a small area of 0.75+ QPF in C WV/ SE OH. The 30 hr I don't have. 36 hr QPF map is .1-.25 for all, which is snow

Fogive the silly question, but are those 6-h amounts, or 12? (Edit: not as familiar with the UKIE's typical output).

if 36 is .10 to .25 than 30 is probably .40 to .50

From ze blog:

This forecast is for the second part of the two-part rain/snow event. What I have is not too different from what the models show now, save for some lesser amounts in northern MD. The changeover from rain to snow and the surface temperatures will be the biggest players in inhibiting snowfall totals. The models have probably underforecast the warmth in MD on Monday before the front makes its way through from north to south. However, once the changeover is made, moderate to heavy snowfall after a brief period of moderate sleet could lead to decent totals from DC northwards through central PA. The best combination of colder air and intense snowfall seems to be in southwestern PA, where a band of 4-8"+ is possible.

20110221-22_MAsnowFirst.png

I also included a small area of 8-12" for upsloping and cooler surface temperatures in the Appalachians in southern PA. The band of higher totals could shift north/south a bit depending on the placement of the low as it passes over the region.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

351 AM EST MON FEB 21 2011

MDZ003-501-502-VAZ028-031-WVZ050>053-503-504-211700-

/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.A.0004.110222T0200Z-110222T1200Z/

WASHINGTON-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-

FREDERICK VA-CLARKE-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-

WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAGERSTOWN...FROSTBURG...CUMBERLAND...

WINCHESTER...MARTINSBURG...CHARLES TOWN...ELK GARDEN...KEYSER...

FORT ASHBY

351 AM EST MON FEB 21 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THIS

EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...MAINLY SNOW. A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET IS

POSSIBLE AT THE ONSET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A POTENTIAL FOR FIVE OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING AND LAST OVERNIGHT. THE

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 6AM.

* TEMPERATURES...LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT IN THE MIDDLE 20S.

* WINDS...NORTH-NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH.

Archived