• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

There will certainly be melting on the roads when this starts tonight, but no reason to expect that nothing will accumulate there. Will probably be a situation where there's 4" on the grass and 2" on the street.

Yeah, no arguments there. My point was simply that it wasn't going to stick right off the bat.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snow will stick on the roads pretty fast at night...if its dark and 28 and snowing hard..it should have no problem sticking

Yeah, I think too much is being made of this. You don't go from nearly 3 months of frozen ground to "warm" because of a few days of warm temps. And also, the past couple of days and nights have helped to remove some of this new "warmth".

Yeah, I think too much is being made of this. You don't go from nearly 3 months of frozen ground to "warm" because of a few days of warm temps. And also, the past couple of days and nights have helped to remove some of this new "warmth".

The depth of soil that has warmed up and "melted" in the past week is probably only 1" or so.

The trend in all the models has been to increase amounts over the past 24 hours. NAM is not by itself. 9z SREFs have a mean of 0.38" of snow QPF for BWI, max of 0.76". And that's actually probably deceptively low since there a few very low snow-total outliers. Most of the members have more than that. DC is mean of 0.11", max of 0.52" (lots of sleet as well).

As a newbie, can somebody explain to me with the latest models indicating more snow how the NWS has dropped my accumulations from 1-3 to less than an inch? I know they botched our only good snow back in Jan. by issuing winter storm warnings 4 hours prior to the start of the precip. Is this going to be another case where they don't inform the public of whats coming? Good thing I read these forums religiously or i would be in trouble!

All northern Maryland counties under WSW

FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER

924 AM EST MON FEB 21 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM EST THIS EVENING

THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM EST

THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...MAINLY SNOW. A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET IS

POSSIBLE AT THE ONSET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A POTENTIAL 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING AND CONTINUE OVERNIGHT. THE

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 6AM.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 30S THIS EVENING...

DROPPING TO THE MID 20S BY TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH-NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO

MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Watches got extended east along the M/D line only. :huh:

Weird...usually they do watches for everyone and then downgrade to Advisories. Sounds like LWX and the media are going to be playing catch up the entire way.

Edit...I think where they have the watches now are areas that should certainly be Warnings. But I think there's still enough of a chance for at least another 1-2 counties south of that area to hoist a watch.

The depth of soil that has warmed up and "melted" in the past week is probably only 1" or so.

The trend in all the models has been to increase amounts over the past 24 hours. NAM is not by itself. 9z SREFs have a mean of 0.38" of snow QPF for BWI, max of 0.76". And that's actually probably deceptively low since there a few very low snow-total outliers. Most of the members have more than that. DC is mean of 0.11", max of 0.52" (lots of sleet as well).

Thank You. Somebody with some clout backing me up on that. The top is the only part that warmed, and that top layer even yesterday morning had refrozen here with nighttime temps only reaching about 26. It isn't frozen right now, but it's not packing much heat either.

Sort of surprised all of Baltimore and Baltimore city plus Howard and Montgomery (at least for N Montgomery's sake) aren't in here as well.

If models keep coming in ore significant then they will likely extend. Safe to say that some of our best storms had LWX playing a bit of catchup.

Weird...usually they do watches for everyone and then downgrade to Advisories. Sounds like LWX and the media are going to be playing catch up the entire way.

Edit...I think where they have the watches now are areas that should certainly be Warnings. But I think there's still enough of a chance for at least another 1-2 counties south of that area to hoist a watch.

Appears to be a poor decision to not include HoCo and Bmore city in that watch. I can understand downgrading later for a WWA, but at least issue the WSW to start with. Like I said earlier, folks are going to be caught off guard. The local weather people make far too big of a deal of the recent warm spell. It's not going to mean anything later tonight once it begins to stick on the roads......especially since SHA probably will not be treating the surfaces before this starts.

Appears to be a poor decision to not include HoCo and Bmore city in that watch. I can understand downgrading later for a WWA, but at least issue the WSW to start with. Like I said earlier, folks are going to be caught off guard. The local weather people make far too big of a deal of the recent warm spell. It's not going to mean anything later tonight once it begins to stick on the roads......especially since SHA probably will not be treating the surfaces before this starts.

I guess they are being cautious. Lets not get too caught up in this debate (last storm I remember a bunch of us spent a good 5-6 pages discussing why LWX was wrong) :thumbsup:

Look, I'm down with this storm-- I'm already going to be in Waynsboro-- which is a 2 hour drive to martinsburg or something like that. I'm considering heading up for a while after my meeting.

BUT, the NAM is often too wet-- hence the tempered excitement from LWX.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with the wet biased NAM. If that was the case, then I doubt LWX would have issued a WSW for 4-6 inches of snow in the first place.

Thank You. Somebody with some clout backing me up on that. The top is the only part that warmed, and that top layer even yesterday morning had refrozen here with nighttime temps only reaching about 26. It isn't frozen right now, but it's not packing much heat either.

I've seen a really good figure that show's soil temperatures at varying depths throughout the year. For most soil types, the temperature below about 1m depth (something like that...) hardly changes. For the depth between 1m and the surface, there is a significant (2-3 month) lag between max/min air temp and max/min soil temp. It's better to think of a "pulse" of warmth or cold that slowly diffuses downward. Only the very top .25-.5" is responsive to air temperature on a daily or semi-daily basis.

Winds were forecast to shift to NW in the afternoon - It's only 946am and winds are ALREADY NNE - temps have fallen to 44 degrees, down from 52 degrees at 5am. Hmmm.......

Naaaaaah - I'll get a lot of sleet anyways.

I am just a few miles south and still at 57....wind just picked up though from the north.

Archived