Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing that could increase the 8-12" ceiling for the 2nd event is ocean enhancement. 1/7-8/94 and 2/8-9/94 were both SWFEs, and both had widespread ~16" amounts from BOS to the North Shore due to ocean enhancement. The potential would definitely be better if the NAM is more correct on the low-level temp profiles, which I believe it is.

I was just going to post that for those who really like to cater to their "extreme" fetish and want to rationalize an aggregate 1-2' event, this maybe counter intuitive because it is human nature to focus on the "main event", but you are better served to focus on the appetizer because that is the one that has yet to realize it's full potential....I believe this to be the case because as a general rule of thumb, events characterized by a sw flow at the mid levels of that atmosphere (AKA swfes) have a ceiling of about 8-12" and the main event has already reached that.

If this two-headed monster is to evolve into a 1-2' event, then we are going to have to see that 1st event trend into an 8-12"er, as well because the "main event" is not going to grow any larger due to the time constraints inherent to swfes.

The one thing that could increase the 8-12" ceiling for the 2nd event is ocean enhancement. 1/7-8/94 and 2/8-9/94 were both SWFEs, and both had widespread ~16" amounts from BOS to the North Shore due to ocean enhancement. The potential would definitely be better if the NAM is more correct on the low-level temp profiles, which I believe it is.

This is true, but that still wouldn't justify that excessively high totals over the interior.

Almost seems like BOX is just hedging high based on seasonal trends.

I don't know...those hefty amounts even in nrn mass may be difficult...not impossible but difficult. If we see 8" tomorrow and then 4" or so Wednesday Night, perhaps. I just envision a 6-9 hr blob of 30+dbz echoes coming through here on Wednesday and then it's gone not too long after 18z.. Afterwards, maybe left over lighter snows or sleet/ZR until early evening where it could flip back to snow.

I guess I would like to see the H7 low under sne to get the big amounts and to realize model qpf. Even the 850 low isn't in a classic position. Of course if tomorrow is maximized and we can get 4-5" of fluff on Wednesday Night....perhaps 20"+ is realized.

:snowman: 1st time I'm on the bb since early AM.

Bottom line: My 73 for BOS in late Sept has a better than 50% chance of being reached or exceeded by Thurs AM. :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

\

:thumbsup:

Unreal that you could actually verify this call.

But I'm not complaining about busting my winter forecast when I look out the window and admire my 2-foot snowpack. Snowman.gif

The real difference between the NAM and the GFS was round 1. BOX thinks the NAM's better resolution is showing the LL frontogenesis better than the GFS. Whether or not this is true remains to be seen, but I feel pretty good that even the GFS which "sucks" for round 1 is still over a foot here and probably by a good margin when ratios are factored in.

I could see that tomorrow too. In fact, I mentioned that earlier. Even signs of CF enhancement too.

I don't know...those hefty amounts even in nrn mass may be difficult...not impossible but difficult. If we see 8" tomorrow and then 4" or so Wednesday Night, perhaps. I just envision a 6-9 hr blob of 30+dbz echoes coming through here on Wednesday and then it's gone not too long after 18z.. Afterwards, maybe left over lighter snows or sleet/ZR until early evening where it could flip back to snow.

I guess I would like to see the H7 low under sne to get the big amounts and to realize model qpf. Even the 850 low isn't in a classic position. Of course if tomorrow is maximized and we can get 4-5" of fluff on Wednesday Night....perhaps 20"+ is realized.

9" here and on Cape Cod by Otis is going to be very difficult unless models all go south at 0z/stay south and the ultimate solution is 20-30 miles south.

Otherwise 4-7" is probably tops here.

Unreal that you could actually verify this call.

But I'm not complaining about busting my winter forecast when I look out the window and admire my 2-foot snowpack. Snowman.gif

I felt it would happen but in my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined it done in the first few days of February. What a winter!

Archived