amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part IV

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you thinking? 15:1 tomorrow and then 12-15:1 on Wednesday depending on precip intensity?

Yeah tomorrow could be decent ratios...esp if we can get a nice little frontogensis band to develop and deepen the lift. Avg ratios will be much lower on Wednesday...they will briefly be good in the heaviest stuff but probably in between not as good and end up averaging out to near 10 or 12 to 1...but I could be wrong. Further north you go might be better ratios on Wed.

Ratios aren't easy to figure out until right up before the event starts...and even then it can be tough.

When CoastalWx brought up that this storm should be a mixture of columns, plates, and dendrites I actually found this image to be very interesting and maybe some Mets could give us some insight on what we could see from this storm in different areas....

snowtypes4.jpg

I could go for some Fernlike stellar dendrites....

When CoastalWx brought up that this storm should be a mixture of columns, plates, and dendrites I actually found this image to be very interesting and maybe some Mets could give us some insight on what we could see from this storm in different areas....

Hopefully the 00z GFS comes in with heavy so you can jump back onto the bandwagon.

snowtypes4.jpg

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/updraft/archive/2010/12/maximized_the_potential.shtml

Nice chart on this sight. Ignore the parabolic line for now....that chart is a good run down of the type of flakes you see, given the temperature of snowflake production.

Archived