• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February General Banter Thread I

jrips27

Yes, but it is near V-Day ****fwiw****. Thererfore, the threat needs to be taken extra seriously.

Well, I have to admit these last few days have been nice for some of the things I needed to do, but after "a few" I start to begrudge lost days of winter, so I'm expecting the blocking to come back soon, and winter fun begin to ramp up again. I still have my major sleet storm to get, and a big snow in March that melts in an afternoon, is not what I'm wanting again this year. The last 2/3rds of Feb. is sleet time, so I'm way, way ready :) T

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

V-Day is my soon to be 9 year old daughters birthday.I'm sure she would love to have a little white stuff on the ground to play with.As of right now all she cares about is going to Monkey Joe's.I remember last Feb. we had snow on the 12th I believe.

Yeah, but it's Groundhog Day. :guitar: How can you go against this guy:

polls_punxphil_0914_491778_xlarge.jpeg

Does anyone know of a good site to get forecasts and currents conditions for Snowshoe? I'm looking for something other than their the ski resort's website.... I'm going up there Feb. 13-16 and can't really find anything other than NWS and their site. Thanks guys!

meh. While I admit this is gorgeous weather... How can you not envy this? :whistle:Epic

I've been watching this for the past few days, as I have family in Ohio, and it appears that my old back yard will have approx 1.00" ICE....Mom is not to happy :(

Don't look now but the 0Z gfs has a major snowstorm for much of the SE including some of the deep south 2/11-12 *****fwiw******, which is mere entertainment that far out in time:

6-7" Charlotte, 5-6" CAE, 5" Augusta, 4-5" for N.O. and CHS among other cities, 4" MCN, 2" ATL, 1.5" SAV

That brought back memories of last years system :wub: Gotta love the GFS :lol:

Does anyone know of a good site to get forecasts and currents conditions for Snowshoe? I'm looking for something other than their the ski resort's website.... I'm going up there Feb. 13-16 and can't really find anything other than NWS and their site. Thanks guys!

There used to be a website I visited years ago that had conditions for all the major ski resorts around here....but I think it's dead and gone. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Since you're leaving it means we are a lock for that GFS fantasy storm thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Check out skinc.com or skisoutheast.com... Mike Doble at appnet has put together an amazing site among others he has done (highcountrywebcams.com).

I hear ya DC.... I'm feeling very pessimistic about the rest of winter even though the models are keeping hope alive. Guess its just fatigue

Yesterday really had me missing spring. It's been a good winter, but I'm ready to drive with the windows down and enjoy a nice hike. I was just telling the gf I want one more snow then bring on the warm air!

Don't look now (or ever as far as I'm concerned due to its horrible performance for late this week when it had KATL down to -21C at 850 on one run and solid to record cold on three runs last week), but the 12Z Euro is up to its dirty tricks of sending record breaking cold down into the SE again. It has KATL 850's down to a ridiculous -20C at hour 234 (6Z on 2/10). Folks, I've not at all about to believe this cr*p as I learned my lesson after last week's Euro debacle. The 12Z GFS' coldest for that period is down to only ~-9C. The Euro's accuracy has gone into the toilet. It is going to take some time to for it to mend itself. Also, I'm noticing a pattern that all of the very cold Euro runs since last week have been at 12Z.

Don't look now (or ever as far as I'm concerned due to its horrible performance for late this week when it had KATL down to -21C at 850 on one run and solid to record cold on three runs last week), but the 12Z Euro is up to its dirty tricks of sending record breaking cold down into the SE again. It has KATL 850's down to a ridiculous -20C at hour 234 (6Z on 2/10). Folks, I've not at all about to believe this cr*p as I learned my lesson after last week's Euro debacle. The 12Z GFS' coldest for that period is down to only ~-9C. The Euro's accuracy has gone into the toilet. It is going to take some time to for it to mend itself. Also, I'm noticing a pattern that all of the very cold Euro runs since last week have been at 12Z.

Yea @240 the Euro is going bonkers with the cold in the deep south.

Yea @240 the Euro is going bonkers with the cold in the deep south.

I may do a contest to see who can guess how far off this Euro run will verify in terms of 850's for late next week. Keep in mind that the 12Z gfs is 11C warmer for its coldest late next week at KATL (-9C). This run is only 24C/43 F warmer at 850 at KATL for its coldest late this week vs. that -21C run from six days ago! If this keeps up, it is going to start to become a laughingstock. I've always had a lot of respect for it in the past and have defended its honor time and time again. If these false alarms for brutal SE cold continue, I'm liable to become reluctant to defend it as often in the future.

Just found out today that I am going on a trip to Schofield, Wisconsin for a quick plant tour of Greenheck (fans) and to do some ice fishing. Have never been there before, but I expect I will see my fill of snow on the ground and cold temps. Does anyone know anything about Schofield, Wisconsin? Thanks in advance...

I may do a contest to see who can guess how far off this Euro run will verify in terms of 850's for late next week. Keep in mind that the 12Z gfs is 11C warmer for its coldest late next week at KATL (-9C). This run is only 24C/43 F warmer at 850 at KATL for its coldest late this week vs. that -21C run from six days ago! If this keeps up, it is going to start to become a laughingstock. I've always had a lot of respect for it in the past and have defended its honor time and time again. If these false alarms for brutal SE cold continue, I'm liable to become reluctant to defend it as often in the future.

If you do that contest, put me down for +4 on the actual for RDU. :)

Agreed, the euro has been pretty awful in the long range. Not only do the solutions not verify, it shows large flip flops from one run to the next. AS for the cold it's showing, it has showed this a lot of times this winter only for it to not verify so I'm selling grains of salt for those who don't have any.

Just found out today that I am going on a trip to Schofield, Wisconsin for a quick plant tour of Greenheck (fans) and to do some ice fishing. Have never been there before, but I expect I will see my fill of snow on the ground and cold temps. Does anyone know anything about Schofield, Wisconsin? Thanks in advance...

I don't know about Schofield, but I see the Greenheck exhuast fans often. I have to quote roof flashings for them.

Just totally anecdote but it would be funny if this weekend was a nice surprise in the snow department. Seems most of our good storms in the past have been the sneaky variety. Usually how it works, we are looking so far in the long range the out of nowhere a storm starts showing up and things get a smidge colder and bam! You're in business.

sweet! i dont know about shofield (think its like in the middle of the state maybe?) but lived in MN for a while (frequent trips to WI due to their drinking age at the time lol). winter sports are awesome - except cross country skiing (the most work i have ever done ugh) - and its beautiful up there. i think they have had a lot of snow too this year, so you should see plenty :snowman:

Agreed, the euro has been pretty awful in the long range. Not only do the solutions not verify, it shows large flip flops from one run to the next. AS for the cold it's showing, it has showed this a lot of times this winter only for it to not verify so I'm selling grains of salt for those who don't have any.

when it is consistent for a fairly long period its pretty good. but otherwise its just like a lot of the others. how they can flip so much between runs (12 hours apart or less) is amazing

Just totally anecdote but it would be funny if this weekend was a nice surprise in the snow department. Seems most of our good storms in the past have been the sneaky variety. Usually how it works, we are looking so far in the long range the out of nowhere a storm starts showing up and things get a smidge colder and bam! You're in business.

i wish - this used to happen, but doesnt seem to any more. sniff sniff. :(

when it is consistent for a fairly long period its pretty good. but otherwise its just like a lot of the others. how they can flip so much between runs (12 hours apart or less) is amazing

i wish - this used to happen, but doesnt seem to any more. sniff sniff. :(

It did February 12 & 13, 1899: Rain changes to sleet and later turns to snow during the "Great Blizzard of 1899", with the snow falling for about 8 hours. With temperatures of about 10°F (−12°C), the snow accumulates to 2 inches (51mm) near Jacksonville and 4 inches (102mm) at Lake Butler (between Jacksonville and Gainesville). In some locations, it was reported that the snow remains on the ground for several days.

Who knows ...

But my guess is :sizzle:

Archived