joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February General Banter Thread I

jrips27

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing 1002mb on the SPC Meso analysis map. http://www.daculawea...esoanalysis.php Very tightly wound up right now.

From the midwest forum...

This is just mind blowing. SPC meso disco makes mention of the 12Z analysis down to 999 hpa.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0066 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0654 AM CST TUE FEB 01 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...NWRN AR...SRN/ERN MO...SWRN IL CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION VALID 011254Z - 011730Z A RELATIVELY NARROW CORRIDOR OF SLEET/FREEZING RAIN WILL PERSIST BETWEEN BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW/BLIZZARD CONDITIONS TO THE NW /REF MCD 0064/ AND RAIN TO THE SE. LIQUID EQUIVALENT RATES AOA 0.10 IN/HR WILL REMAIN LIKELY. 12Z SURFACE ANALYSIS PLACED A 999 MB CYCLONE IN FAR NERN TX WITH QUASI-STATIONARY FRONT EXTENDING NEWD ACROSS CNTRL AR TOWARDS THE OH VALLEY. WITH THE CYCLONE EXPECTED TO TRACK NEWD ALONG THE FRONT THROUGH 18Z...LOW-LEVEL THERMAL STRUCTURE TO THE N/NE OF THE CYCLONE FROM S-CNTRL MO INTO SWRN IL SHOULD SLOWLY COOL AS SWATHS OF MODERATE PRECIPITATION CONTINUE TO SPREAD N/NEWD. 12Z SGF RAOB SAMPLED A SMALL ABOVE-FREEZING WARM NOSE /AROUND 1 DEG C AT 825 MB/...SUPPORTIVE OF AROUND A 50 MILE CORRIDOR OF SLEET FROM SWRN INTO E-CNTRL MO. THIS SLEET CORRIDOR SHOULD PIVOT INTO NWRN AR /PER 03Z SREF LIKELY PTYPE/...RELEGATING PREDOMINANT FREEZING RAIN TO S-CNTRL MO INTO SRN IL.

Repasting the disco from DVN because it is too epic.

They said it better than I.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL704 AM CST TUE FEB 1 2011.UPDATE...

VERIFICATION AT 12Z INDICATES STORM SYSTEM IS RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING AT A RATE AS FAST OR FASTER THAN PROJECTIONS. COMPARING DATA...PLUS USING NUMEROUS TECHNIQUES SUGGESTS THE SYSTEM MAY NOT ONLY BE STRONGER...BUT COULD OCCLUDE OR WRAP UP MORE THAN PLANNED BACK TOWARD OUR AREA. IF THIS OCCURS...THIS COULD RESULT IN EVEN HIGHERSNOW TOTALS...SNOW-FALL RATES AND POSSIBLE THUNDER-SNOW OVER ATLEAST THE SOUTHEAST PORTIONS OF THE AREA. IT ALSO MAY RESULT INSLIGHTLY HIGHER WIND SPEEDS FOR MORE SEVERE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.THIS RISK SHOULD BE CONFIRMED IN THE NEXT 3 TO 6 HOURS.NO CHANGES ARE PLANNED...BUT INDICATIONS CLEARLY SUPPORT THIS WILLNOT ONLY BE A MAJOR STORM OF NEAR HISTORIC PROPORTIONS...BUT MAYBE A BIT STRONGER FOR AT LEAST OUR SE 1/2 LOCATIONS THAN IS CURRENTLYFORECASTED.INDIVIDUALS SHOULD MONITOR THIS SITUATION FOR POSSIBLE UPDATES ONTHIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

Why is it that areas at the same latitude or even lowe farther west seem to have so much of an easier time getting winter storms than us? It seems like the LW trough more easily configures itself for storms there as opposed to SE winter storms.

And we frequently see big Arctic highs coming down into the Western US as opposed to the Central US. Is there some physical reason that those things occur like that?

Why is it that areas at the same latitude or even lowe farther west seem to have so much of an easier time getting winter storms than us? It seems like the LW trough more easily configures itself for storms there as opposed to SE winter storms.

And we frequently see big Arctic highs coming down into the Western US as opposed to the Central US. Is there some physical reason that those things occur like that?

I always thought it was because of that giant mountain range to our west. Out in the plains especially there is just nothing to stop it.

I always thought it was because of that giant mountain range to our west. Out in the plains especially there is just nothing to stop it.

I'm sure you're right and that likely has something to do with it. But it seems like these big 1050 Arctic highs always form in NW Canada instead of Central Canada. Then they drop south into the western US instead of around the Dakotas/MN area.

The difference really isn't all that striking. Tulsa, OK is at about Greensboro's latitude and averages 10" of snow per year compered to GSO's 9.2". RDU is a bit south of that and averages 7.5". Oklahoma City averages 9.5".

St. Louis, MO averages 19.6". Washington DC is at about the same latitude and Regan National averages 16.6" per year while Dulles averages 22.3" per year. Charlotte (5.5") and Memphis (5.1") are about the same latitude.

Lubbock, TX and Atlanta are about the same in latitude and there is a big difference in snowfall averages between those two cities, however, with Lubbock averages 10.2" per year while Atlanta only averages 2.1". Macon (0.9") and Dallas (2.6") similar in latitude.

In conclusion, they seem to average a bit more out in the midwest, but it's really not that much different when you compared them to other cities at their latitude. I wouldn't doubt that we get more total wintry events than they do, they just get larger events when they do occur.

The difference really isn't all that striking. Tulsa, OK is at about Greensboro's latitude and averages 10" of snow per year compered to GSO's 9.2". RDU is a bit south of that and averages 7.5". Oklahoma City averages 9.5".

St. Louis, MO averages 19.6". Washington DC is at about the same latitude and Regan National averages 16.6" per year while Dulles averages 22.3" per year. Charlotte (5.5") and Memphis (5.1") are about the same latitude.

Lubbock, TX and Atlanta are about the same in latitude and there is a big difference in snowfall averages between those two cities, however, with Lubbock averages 10.2" per year while Atlanta only averages 2.1". Macon (0.9") and Dallas (2.6") similar in latitude.

In conclusion, they seem to average a bit more out in the midwest, but it's really not that much different when you compared them to other cities at their latitude. I wouldn't doubt that we get more total wintry events than they do, they just get larger events when they do occur.

Wow. I didn't realize things were so similar. It doesn't seem that way anecdotally, but based on the data you shared, they are much more similar than it seems. Thanks for sharing that info.

I have an older droid, wish I had a new one. We wasted all of our upgrades on kids. I do have PDANet running on it so I can tether and use it as an access point! My laptop is hooked up to it now.

You can add a line, and when you add a data plan, the line is free. That is how I upgraded, since I did not have an upgrade.:lol:

We already have 5 lines! NO MORE! smile.gif

On a side note, I noticed that today, in 1951 :

The greatest ice storm of record in the U.S. produced glaze up to four inches thick from Texas to Pennsylvania causing twenty-five deaths, 500 serious injuries, and 100 million dollars damage. Tennessee was hardest hit by the storm. Communications and utilities were interrupted for a week to ten days.

http://www.daculaweather.com/weather_facts.php

The blizzard we have all been waiting for...if not then it will probably be the year after. I'm sure of it and if not then, than the year after that :guitar:

Actually that might be this year. Blocking will be back, blow torch predictions bust, March blizzard redux. Can't wait :) Just want more than 4 inches this time, though whiteout conditions with 70 mph winds and 4 inches of snow is pretty special, lol.

And..if the calculations I've made in my underground lair, with my trusty abbacus, and using quipu knots, are off a bit...then, you are right, indeed, next year for sure...or the year after.... pretty positive about that. New Solar minimum, renewed Icelandic vulcanism..what's not to like! T

We already have 5 lines! NO MORE! smile.gif

On a side note, I noticed that today, in 1951 :

The greatest ice storm of record in the U.S. produced glaze up to four inches thick from Texas to Pennsylvania causing twenty-five deaths, 500 serious injuries, and 100 million dollars damage. Tennessee was hardest hit by the storm. Communications and utilities were interrupted for a week to ten days.

http://www.daculawea...ather_facts.php

Imagine if that'd hit todays Nashville or Atl. 100 mil. would be a drop in the bucket. T

I hate this time of year. Knowing you only have a limited time to cash in and seeing very few good indications of an agreeable pattern is such a let down. I need to move to a snowier climate.

that doesnt always help lol. people here think i am a little odd on the wx, when i lived in MN people thought i was a lunatic to like snow and cold. all that snow was great and i never got tired of it :snowman: you obviously do get a lot of snow, but you still get the misses (like MN now is missing out), fails and whatnot that is so frustrating in the se. of course they are much fewer and much farther between :lol:

in the MA you can get really good storms, but the biggies are not that much more frequent there than here

its been cold here all day, temp stuck right around 36, rain, drizzle and fog. much heavier rain is heading in to n ga :scooter:

Looking forward to a nice rainy night. Would love the .75" the 18z GFS is giving me! :maprain:

me too. have received about 1.1" the last couple of days and lots more to come, i hope

On another note, GFS has cosistently been showing a FROPA in the 150-174 hr range. Might be our next chance at light snow. Then it brings the mother load of cold air down. 18z brings ATL down to a ridiculous -18oC between 174-180.

If this verifies some places would do well with upslope snows.

Archived