Newest Member
    joxey
Epic Snow Depth Pictures

weatherMA

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More. . .

The first shot is from October of last year. The second shot is looking towards the same maple today. I marked the tree in both photos in red. That is the location of where a limb comes out from the tree. Note the height difference between grass, and today's snow depth. The snow on the top of the stone wall is pretty much in line with the bottom of the limb.

More. . .

The first shot is from October of last year. The second shot is looking towards the same maple today. I marked the tree in both photos in red. That is the location of where a limb comes out from the tree. Note the height difference between grass, and today's snow depth. The snow on the top of the stone wall is pretty much in line with the bottom of the limb.

Fantastic photos Garth, unreal depths out there.

Regarding the roof issues, I suppose looking at mine with a glass half-full mentality, if we do wind up with some leaking...I can at least take comfort in knowing that I knew we were going to need to look into getting the roof replaced int he next few years...this would just be a kicker to get it done sooner rather than later. I'll probably clear some snow tomorrow, but more for attempting to curb the ice dam issues...our roof has enough of a slope that there's not more than 4-6" accumulated on it anyway.

More. . .

I'd shovel that last location before next week if I were you

You guys with the 3 foot plus snowpack got to get the roofs done. That is way too much weight for any wooden structure unless you have a metal/slider roof like they use up in NH/ VT/ ME. I got a snow rake from Ace for $33 and it works wonders. The roof is far more important than a driveway. Aside from the inherent risk of ice dams, the weight itself can easily cause rafters to spread or crack. Think of it as a quick way to add to the piles. Snowman.gif

Can see lots of ice dams everywhere, especially with Capes. I started with the roof rake 5 yrs ago after some nasy dams. Time to get a new roof and fix the problem for good.

Regarding the roof issues, I suppose looking at mine with a glass half-full mentality, if we do wind up with some leaking...I can at least take comfort in knowing that I knew we were going to need to look into getting the roof replaced int he next few years...this would just be a kicker to get it done sooner rather than later. I'll probably clear some snow tomorrow, but more for attempting to curb the ice dam issues...our roof has enough of a slope that there's not more than 4-6" accumulated on it anyway.

Insurance will pay for any damage done by ice dams, of course they wont pay for a new roof.

The water equivalent down here in SNE From the last month of storms is probably much higher than what you see up in the North Country. My ratios have been 10:1 or less each storm with a decent amount of sleet each time. I didn't say roofs would collapse, but it sure puts a lot of strain on the rafters and houses down in these parts are up to 350 years old in rare cases. Many of them are 150-250 years old outside of the cities.

I tend to agree with you. Its not the actual snow depth on the roof thats the issue, its the amount of water weight in that snowpack. I'd bet a lot of you have 3-4" of liquid in your snowpack on your roof. Once you go over 4" of liquid weight on your roof, you're going to have problems.

And like the ice damming problem... this might not be an immediate threat, but just think if you have that 3-4" of QPF locked up in the snow on your roof, then it rains 1-2" which gets soaked up in that snow. The big problems will be folks who don't clear the roof then add some more water weight... once you get to like 5-6" of liquid on your roof, you are really f'd.

I tend to agree with you. Its not the actual snow depth on the roof thats the issue, its the amount of water weight in that snowpack. I'd bet a lot of you have 3-4" of liquid in your snowpack on your roof. Once you go over 4" of liquid weight on your roof, you're going to have problems.

And like the ice damming problem... this might not be an immediate threat, but just think if you have that 3-4" of QPF locked up in the snow on your roof, then it rains 1-2" which gets soaked up in that snow. The big problems will be folks who don't clear the roof then add some more water weight... once you get to like 5-6" of liquid on your roof, you are really f'd.

Folks in E. Ma. definitely have some hefty amounts of liquid sitting in that snow.

W. Ma. has had probably 20% less accumulated snow than Ct and E. Ma. but thankfully what we have gotten has been mainly powder.

+30" of snow this month has compacted down to about 15".

I'd shovel that last location before next week if I were you

LOL, I will be doing some shoveling this weekend (At least on the structures that I want to keep in tact).

. . . I know I'm f*cked this spring. Ice dam city, and repainting interior walls will be in order, at the minimum. Will make sure I have the right hoses for my basement pump as well.

Unitl this time comes I offer more - Mailbox before and after I rescued it.

Couple of more from Hanover/Marshfield. A good 2+' in Hanover OTG. Close to 2' at my folks. Snowpack can be walked on once you get below the 12" of snow from yesterday.

Hanover MA. There's a car next to the Suburban..lol. Hasn't been touched since mid December.

post-33-0-01960600-1296235839.jpg

Front walk at my parents house.

post-33-0-28392400-1296235807.jpg

post-33-0-06988300-1296235891.jpg

Entrance to the driveway.

post-33-0-04738300-1296235920.jpg

Snow was wetter there.

post-33-0-68559400-1296235953.jpg

Awesome pics Jeff and Scott, historic, yea gonna try doing the clear the roof thingy but I am sure I will only get to some parts, its not flat at all but its getting a little dicey icey.

Here are a couple of pics from work in Ledyard Ct. The roof drift off of our library roof is eight foot. You can see the library roof to the right, basically indistinguisable. The two holes are roof drains, the heat from these keep the drains clear of ice for melting. The second picture is of the striations caused in the snow by the wind whipping around the corner through a drift, experience tells me 50 MPH or better, in fact we did record wind at 52 MPH here.

The ice damming is an immediate problem for my gutters which are visibly strained under the weight of the ice.

LOL, right up to that 3' fence.

Looks like a wave coming across the lawn, look at that overhang over the sidewalk, picture Will going out to take a depth measurement next Wed when the whole shebang collapses, burying Will to his neck, Stratus digging furiously to save him, Will is OK reports depth of six feet.

Is that Winter Hill? Looks like you can see the lower elevations in the background of the fence shot. Looks like a nice area.

Yes, a couple of those shots are winter hill...that one included.

What a weenie for noticing the lower elevations in the background, lol.That direction is facing ENE.

Archived