joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Epic Snow Depth Pictures

weatherMA

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. That was from roof shoveling. It's a b**ch. They are trying to sell the house. The pool will be open before that pile is gone.

The overall depth blew my mind. It's still at least 10-15" deep across the entire yard.

Very similar to me, which makes sense because I'm the next town west.

I had 18" @ the stake on Saturday.....down to 6" and I just pulled the stake.

Wow Will, you have plenty left. Like I said, down to 4-8" in protected areas with higher drifts, and a few patches in exposed areas. I'd say about 40-50% coverage in sheltered neighborhoods and down to about 20-30% in main street areas.

There's even a pretty big difference between the generally higher (600-800 feet) North Worcester area vs closer to downtown (~500 ft). I did notice that Lake Quinsig though was still totally frozen driving over the 290 bridge...pretty impressive after all that torching rain.

I'll have to check out weenie ridge this week. I'll bet they still have 100% coverage if my general neighborhood is at 80-90%.

I miss my epic snowpack.

post-290-0-74653900-1299818724.jpg

post-290-0-78118000-1299818869.jpg

post-290-0-92197600-1299818897.jpg

post-290-0-96220500-1299818937.jpg

post-290-0-85810500-1299818984.jpg

I know right.

I've caught myself looking at the pics even from a couple weeks ago...and especially early February...a few times in the past couple days. It was pretty awesome.

Right now, I have 36F drizzle and fog slowly picking away at the last of the concrete brick outside that probably averages about 6". With no real threats on the horizon, it looks like we will go down to bare grass soon before any potential reinforcement arrives. R.I.P great snow pack.

I know right.

I've caught myself looking at the pics even from a couple weeks ago...and especially early February...a few times in the past couple days. It was pretty awesome.

Right now, I have 36F drizzle and fog slowly picking away at the last of the concrete brick outside that probably averages about 6". With no real threats on the horizon, it looks like we will go down to bare grass soon before any potential reinforcement arrives. R.I.P great snow pack.

When I looked at the pictures it was like, wow, I forgot how much snow we had. We need a couple more inches before packing it in...it doesn't seem right not to even hit 60" this winter....while so many other winters have. The thing is, we had almost that much within a month.

When I looked at the pictures it was like, wow, I forgot how much snow we had. We need a couple more inches before packing it in...it doesn't seem right not to even hit 60" this winter....while so many other winters have. The thing is, we had almost that much within a month.

Yeah I thought we'd hit 100" easily about 2 weeks ago here, but now its looking like we'll need to pull off a late season event to do it or a couple of them. Not that strange in the hills to get them, but right now its not looking good. Still some time though, but the start to this month has been disappointing.

We had some good times though this winter even if we don't get another flake

feb7orh1.jpg

feb7orh2.jpg

Yeah, it seems like so long ago now...we have had about 60 days of snow cover here though for the winter, which is impressive. There are still a few piles here and there, but not much to speak of.

I have measured 66" this winter; after seeing the pattern and how much snow we'd gotten in Dec/Jan, I thought for sure we'd pass the 68" we received last year, but it's not looking so great right now. This seemed like a much more intense winter than 09-10 due to the extremely cold December and proximity of events, but we just haven't had a big enough late-season rally to pass last winter, when 48" fell in Dobbs Ferry in February. I am not ruling anything out but the clock is ticking...daffodils are already sprouting near the house, and around town.

Yeah, it seems like so long ago now...we have had about 60 days of snow cover here though for the winter, which is impressive. There are still a few piles here and there, but not much to speak of.

I have measured 66" this winter; after seeing the pattern and how much snow we'd gotten in Dec/Jan, I thought for sure we'd pass the 68" we received last year, but it's not looking so great right now. This seemed like a much more intense winter than 09-10 due to the extremely cold December and proximity of events, but we just haven't had a big enough late-season rally to pass last winter, when 48" fell in Dobbs Ferry in February. I am not ruling anything out but the clock is ticking...daffodils are already sprouting near the house, and around town.

Tropics down there!! :sun:

Tropics down there!! :sun:

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Time for the sun-tan lotion and babes...uh, not really!

I've definitely noticed that most of the plants coming up are near buildings, however, so it may have to do with heat release from structures as well. NYC is running about +1.5F for March, so I'm not too surprised to see daffodils sprouting at this point, given that we've had a couple of big cutters and lots of rain to water the ground. It could become quite cold on Sunday and Monday night with temperatures dipping back into the 20s, so that might slow down some of the growth but not kill it completely. I'm not a Magic 8-Ball but I think our last big opportunity for a snowstorm could be Tuesday, and that seems to be fading fast. We have a transient 50/50 and North Atlantic ridge, but the shortwave may get sheared out in the fast flow. I'd like to see you extend your snow cover a little longer. What's the longest you've ever had it?

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Time for the sun-tan lotion and babes...uh, not really!

I've definitely noticed that most of the plants coming up are near buildings, however, so it may have to do with heat release from structures as well. NYC is running about +1.5F for March, so I'm not too surprised to see daffodils sprouting at this point, given that we've had a couple of big cutters and lots of rain to water the ground. It could become quite cold on Sunday and Monday night with temperatures dipping back into the 20s, so that might slow down some of the growth but not kill it completely. I'm not a Magic 8-Ball but I think our last big opportunity for a snowstorm could be Tuesday, and that seems to be fading fast. We have a transient 50/50 and North Atlantic ridge, but the shortwave may get sheared out in the fast flow. I'd like to see you extend your snow cover a little longer. What's the longest you've ever had it?

Won't come close to any records for this....'00-'01 had it from like Dec 20th to mid April. Several toher years had it longer than this year will last. This has definitely been an above average run of snow cover and a prolific run of 20"+ snow cover (maybe 50 days of 20"+)...but for just regular snow cover, it won't do that well because we have a lot of years that it lasts well into late March and this one looks like we'll be going by the wayside int he next day or two....we might keep it after this storm, but not much longer....even 37F highs with the march sun can finish off a weak snowpack that might be left after this. '76-'77 nearly ran the gauntlet of late November to April.

'95-'96 actually was pretty good for late November through about Mar 20th. The problem with this year is we didn't get it until about Dec 20-21. So even years that got it on Dec 4th or something and went to March 10th, will beat this year unless we somehow miraculously keep snow pack until Mar 25th or so which isn't happening.

Won't come close to any records for this....'00-'01 had it from like Dec 20th to mid April. Several toher years had it longer than this year will last. This has definitely been an above average run of snow cover and a prolific run of 20"+ snow cover (maybe 50 days of 20"+)...but for just regular snow cover, it won't do that well because we have a lot of years that it lasts well into late March and this one looks like we'll be going by the wayside int he next day or two....we might keep it after this storm, but not much longer....even 37F highs with the march sun can finish off a weak snowpack that might be left after this. '76-'77 nearly ran the gauntlet of late November to April.

'95-'96 actually was pretty good for late November through about Mar 20th. The problem with this year is we didn't get it until about Dec 20-21. So even years that got it on Dec 4th or something and went to March 10th, will beat this year unless we somehow miraculously keep snow pack until Mar 25th or so which isn't happening.

Is 00-01 the record for most snow cover days at ORH Airport? We also had a lot of snow cover that winter, but I think the record here is 80 days in 47-48. Central Park's consecutive snow cover streak was also that year, as well.

Did ORH maintain its snow cover during the Jan 1996 torch? I know it got into the 60s here...

And yes, Will, great points as usual...December is extremely important obviously. Years that had a cold Nov/Dec can sometimes do well in snow cover as we saw in some examples from the 95-96 and 02-03 winters...Did your area score in the Nov 2002 storm? Years that start with a better pattern in early December than Winter 10-11 will inevitably beat us in snow cover, for sure. The problem with this March isn't just the sun angle it's also the very active pattern with tons of rainstorms....we seem to have a very flat zonal flow under the +NAO vortex injecting Pacific energy into the States and creating a lot of Plains lows/cutters.

Is 00-01 the record for most snow cover days at ORH Airport? We also had a lot of snow cover that winter, but I think the record here is 80 days in 47-48. Central Park's consecutive snow cover streak was also that year, as well.

Did ORH maintain its snow cover during the Jan 1996 torch? I know it got into the 60s here...

And yes, Will, great points as usual...December is extremely important obviously. Years that had a cold Nov/Dec can sometimes do well in snow cover as we saw in some examples from the 95-96 and 02-03 winters...Did your area score in the Nov 2002 storm? Years that start with a better pattern in early December than Winter 10-11 will inevitably beat us in snow cover, for sure. The problem with this March isn't just the sun angle it's also the very active pattern with tons of rainstorms....we seem to have a very flat zonal flow under the +NAO vortex injecting Pacific energy into the States and creating a lot of Plains lows/cutters.

ORH airport hasn't reported snow depth since 1994 so there is no "official" record of that in recent years, but I go by personal experience and nearby coop. I know for a fact they didn't have bare ground in '00-'01 until very late after Dec 20th.

As for Jan '96, we lost a lot but never lost it all...probably had 45" on the ground and then it went down to about 6" at its lowest but then got build back up enough to survive until March 18-20 or so.

We got 6.5" in the November 27, 2002 storm...then we got 2-3" 2 days later form a WAA event...but it torched the next day. That snow cover wasn't able to last until Dec 5th. Then we got another event on Dec 11th. All of that snow cover lasted until about mid March that year...we lost it pretty quickly after March 10th...i was at Cornell, but I kept tabs on it here. A significant dent was put into it in late February 2003.

This winter will be very high on the list for consecutive days of over 20" snow pack and overall days of 20" snow pack. We had quite the run. We've had higher in such as 1996 and 2001, but the longevity of this year is tough to match. That made it special in that regard.

A couple photos for the snow depth thread... taken two days ago. The snow from yesterday's 4" of mashed potatoes down here in town has yet to completely melt off the vehicles, so we may still be at a "net gain" for this event. Once yesterday's snow is finally washed off the cars, then I figure we'll start to dent into the storm snow from Monday's 25".

Snow depth at the time of these pictures was 38"-ish.

Now that my snow cover has been wiped to a few inches and going fast I've been able to compare to past years. This year had 54 consecutive days of 10" or more, that breaks my own personal record of 52 from Feb to Mar 2001. There was also 40 straight in Feb-Mar 2003. For 1" or more of consecutive snow cover this year won't even come close to 2000-01 which ran at least an inch from Dec 20 to Apr 9. Peak depth (at observation time) this year was 23" which occurred for 3 days. Record is still 27" back on Mar 9, 2001.

• 9 months later...

Archived