Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Epic Snow Depth Pictures

weatherMA

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was over in the general area of my parents, and I'm impressed at how their snowpack is retained. It's like the Tolland of the south shore. I broke the yardstick measuring the snowpack, but almost 18" in their backyard. I can jump on it and not break through. Still about 6-10" or so in the woods, where some of the water dripping from the trees may have compacted it down. So while Messenger is planting tomatoes...still pretty wintry about 27 miled to his nnw. I'll post pics later. South side slope areas are torched, but most of the area probably still has 4-10" where it receives a respectable amount of sun.

That's a good guess from what I'm seeing down here. Some bare areas, and then some deep stuff still existing.

Even people who work here that live in GON residential wooded neighborhoods still have 6 in their yards, amazing the depth in the shade areas. I measured a north hill side neighborhood in Sterling CT yesterday with 18 plus of pure cement. Across the hill on the south side was probably 4-6, even down here in SE CT I run across these houses in knolls that have nice deep depths.

Well I was over in the general area of my parents, and I'm impressed at how their snowpack is retained. It's like the Tolland of the south shore. I broke the yardstick measuring the snowpack, but almost 18" in their backyard. I can jump on it and not break through. Still about 6-10" or so in the woods, where some of the water dripping from the trees may have compacted it down. So while Messenger is planting tomatoes...still pretty wintry about 27 miled to his nnw. I'll post pics later. South side slope areas are torched, but most of the area probably still has 4-10" where it receives a respectable amount of sun.

Random house, but some pretty deep snow in Norwell

post-33-0-34106600-1299265510.jpg

My street in Marshvegas.

post-33-0-15764600-1299265544.jpg

Driveway to the house.

post-33-0-51226800-1299265573.jpg

Back yard. As you can see, it is somewhat protected.

post-33-0-52261200-1299265597.jpg

Measured just under 18" before stick broke. I couldn't get a close up because of the sunlight.

post-33-0-93713600-1299265632.jpg

Torch side of lawn, but most wooded areas in the area have 4-10".

post-33-0-25201000-1299265697.jpg

Here's an illustration of the variances in the snow pack...2nd pic is my side yard with 25" still holding strong. Then, across the street there are grass patches. This actually is more common in more urban areas, as the rest of the street still has 10"+ on both sides, but this house is on a hill combined with getting torched in the sun has given this one house near me some grassy areas. Common snow depth around town is 12-15". Of course, near roads is 0" and protected areas are near 20."

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Here's an illustration of the variances in the snow pack...2nd pic is my side yard with 25" still holding strong. Then, across the street there are grass patches. This actually is more common in more urban areas, as the rest of the street still has 10"+ on both sides, but this house is on a hill combined with getting torched in the sun has given this one house near me some grassy areas. Common snow depth around town is 12-15". Of course, near roads is 0" and protected areas are near 20."

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Yeah we are beginning to see the March sun show those have vs have not's. That back yard has been covered since 12/20 which is unprecedented for se mass.

Random house, but some pretty deep snow in Norwell

post-33-0-34106600-1299265510.jpg

My street in Marshvegas.

post-33-0-15764600-1299265544.jpg

Driveway to the house.

post-33-0-51226800-1299265573.jpg

Back yard. As you can see, it is somewhat protected.

post-33-0-52261200-1299265597.jpg

Measured just under 18" before stick broke. I couldn't get a close up because of the sunlight.

post-33-0-93713600-1299265632.jpg

Torch side of lawn, but most wooded areas in the area have 4-10".

post-33-0-25201000-1299265697.jpg

its amazing what the sun can do.

Sub blows this time of year. I'm impressed how well areas even to my south held the snow. I had more snow this year, but little to show. Urban heat Island FTL.

I do wish the sun would have an effect on the end of my driveway by the garage. Solid 1-2" of ice because the sun never really gets to it.

Still 19+ inches around mose of my year. Some more, some a little less. Septic tank showing again :(

Wachusett was fairly crowded for mid-summer

I do wish the sun would have an effect on the end of my driveway by the garage. Solid 1-2" of ice because the sun never really gets to it.

Still 19+ inches around mose of my year. Some more, some a little less. Septic tank showing again :(

Wachusett was fairly crowded for mid-summer

LOL, lots of thing processing nicely and generating heat.

Scott

I have not seen snow pack like that here since about feb 20th or so.

The pack literally evaporated vacation week while I was in maine.

The pattern became a little more latitude favored later in January too. My buddy in Brockton has quite a bit of snow. I did notice that areas like Kingston had little snow, and areas to the nw like Hingham had more. You saw that first pic. Clearly the sun hits that, but still quite a bit. There has to be a big gradient somewhere. You have to look away from highways and main roads, because those areas are pretty torched.

The pattern became a little more latitude favored later in January too. My buddy in Brockton has quite a bit of snow. I did notice that areas like Kingston had little snow, and areas to the nw like Hingham had more. You saw that first pic. Clearly the sun hits that, but still quite a bit. There has to be a big gradient somewhere. You have to look away from highways and main roads, because those areas are pretty torched.

I think s&e of i-95 is pretty well cooked at this point. My last meanigful snowfall was over a month ago and it was 4". I am glad I was in me for the 12" that fell with 1/4mi vis for 3 consec hours.

I think s&e of i-95 is pretty well cooked at this point. My last meanigful snowfall was over a month ago and it was 4". I am glad I was in me for the 12" that fell with 1/4mi vis for 3 consec hours.

Yeah Bridgton FTW..lol. We'll see. A little bit here or there won't be all that bad. I wouldn't mind an April 2003 deal where we get several inches.

Did he shovel the roof? Looks like it on the last pic. Impressive stuff.

Yes. That was from roof shoveling. It's a b**ch. They are trying to sell the house. The pool will be open before that pile is gone.

The overall depth blew my mind. It's still at least 10-15" deep across the entire yard.

Here is what is left after the carnage....we are down to about 80-90% coverage in the typical sheltered neighborhoods and about 50% coverage in the torch busy street areas. Here's some pics today from winter hill and the last one is of Indian Lake still frozen solid after that disaster. This pack won't survive another onslaught

mar7orh1.jpg

mar7orh2.jpg

mar7orh3.jpg

mar7orh4.jpg

Here is what is left after the carnage....we are down to about 80-90% coverage in the typical sheltered neighborhoods and about 50% coverage in the torch busy street areas. Here's some pics today from winter hill and the last one is of Indian Lake still frozen solid after that disaster. This pack won't survive another onslaught

Green grass showing?

Archived