joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Epic Snow Depth Pictures

weatherMA

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think i should get a roof rake for my roof? There's over 2 feet of snow on some parts of the roof

Yeah...another couple storms and you may start getting into my 07-08 territory and my roof needed it badly. I think I had 3ft on mine at one point and the bottom of it was like a 6" sheet of ice. There was a barn down the road that collapsed from the snow from that winter. I'd rake it all off into your driveway and then pile it onto your snowbanks.

Well, this pic isn't from this season but instead from the 07-08 winter. By early March, I had about 48-50" on the ground. The roofs of both the garage and the house are the standing-seam type (metal) so the snow slides off from time to time. This shot was taken on 3/5/08 and is of the garage. Basically, the snow couldn't slide off anymore due to the amount that already slid and had piled up to the roof itself. It was just a big blob of snow.

2345623566_4c4496e5d6_z.jpg

this is one of those winters for the kids. everything is so much bigger when you're 3-4ft tall. they'll remember this winter 20 or 30 years from now and say "it doesn't snow like it used to..." like we seem to hear a LOT these days. alas, it does snow like it used to!

Like I said every house here has icicles.

It signals ice build-up at the edge of the roof... homes with the larger icicles probably have problems. Most people will get icicles from their house warming the roof and thus melting snow on roof. The larger your icicles are (and you know its been below freezing) the larger your problems. First, you may have poor insulation but the larger issue is further melt not being able to pass through said glacier at the edge of your roof. From experience, I can tell you that the water that pools above that ice floe will eventually find a leak or weakness in your roof.

I wouldn't be too worried about it now, but when it eventually r@*ns (which at this pace could be May) a lot of folks in the high snowpack area may see some problems. I remember a lot in the Albany area had problems with this back in 2002-2003 when 50" fell in 10 days (a freezing rain event also occurred in there)... the snowpack was near 30" in a lot of the suburbs and the pattern was cold and dry until more snow on President's Day '03. When it finally rained, everyone had foot thick ice on the lower portion of the roof and all that water had to go somewhere.

Yeah it did happen a couple times..it was like a mini avalanche..especially up by the house in those first few pics..I just toss the snow up there very carefully lol..As high as they are it just kills your shoulder and forearm..but it has to be done.

She thinks i am a lunatic and is embarrassed for me lol

My wife loved that, Blizzy. She's a chick so she doesn't get it.

She just knows that whatever it is, it's one of the good things about men.

At first she characterized the snow thing it as an obsession but then she realized it's more noble.

It's persistence.

Vim Toot!

It signals ice build-up at the edge of the roof... homes with the larger icicles probably have problems. Most people will get icicles from their house warming the roof and thus melting snow on roof. The larger your icicles are (and you know its been below freezing) the larger your problems. First, you may have poor insulation but the larger issue is further melt not being able to pass through said glacier at the edge of your roof. From experience, I can tell you that the water that pools above that ice floe will eventually find a leak or weakness in your roof.

I wouldn't be too worried about it now, but when it eventually r@*ns (which at this pace could be May) a lot of folks in the high snowpack area may see some problems. I remember a lot in the Albany area had problems with this back in 2002-2003 when 50" fell in 10 days (a freezing rain event also occurred in there)... the snowpack was near 30" in a lot of the suburbs and the pattern was cold and dry until more snow on President's Day '03. When it finally rained, everyone had foot thick ice on the lower portion of the roof and all that water had to go somewhere.

My neighbor has a 7-8 foot icicle on his house. I do have a 3 foot ice barrier under my shingles but I may rake off the edges this weekend just to be safe.

Tough to grab some nice scenic pics but here's a few.

Another 4-6' drift into the back. My driveway asphalt won't be seen for a long time. I gave up shoveling it. In the summer, you can't see the white fence. Poor hedges.

post-33-0-09723000-1296176422.jpg

Another disaster.

post-33-0-01679500-1296176495.jpg

Car ain't going anywhere.

post-33-0-67408900-1296176509.jpg

Nice snowpack behind my neighbors. Guess he didn't care today was garbage day..lol.

post-33-0-15177700-1296176541.jpg

You guys with the 3 foot plus snowpack got to get the roofs done. That is way too much weight for any wooden structure unless you have a metal/slider roof like they use up in NH/ VT/ ME. I got a snow rake from Ace for $33 and it works wonders. The roof is far more important than a driveway. Aside from the inherent risk of ice dams, the weight itself can easily cause rafters to spread or crack. Think of it as a quick way to add to the piles. Snowman.gif

You guys with the 3 foot plus snowpack got to get the roofs done. That is way too much weight for any wooden structure unless you have a metal/slider roof like they use up in NH/ VT/ ME. I got a snow rake from Ace for $33 and it works wonders. The roof is far more important than a driveway. Aside from the inherent risk of ice dams, the weight itself can easily cause rafters to spread or crack. Think of it as a quick way to add to the piles. Snowman.gif

i highly doubt roofs are going to collpase in modern developed areas.....perhaps if a house is very old, though i relaize many house in new england are

we dont have metal sliders up here and we do just fine.

certainly though ice damming and iciles are an issue leading to roof damage.

i highly doubt roofs are going to collpase in modern developed areas.....perhaps if a house is very old, though i relaize many house in new england are

we dont have metal sliders up here and we do just fine.

certainly though ice damming and iciles are an issue leading to roof damage.

The water equivalent down here in SNE From the last month of storms is probably much higher than what you see up in the North Country. My ratios have been 10:1 or less each storm with a decent amount of sleet each time. I didn't say roofs would collapse, but it sure puts a lot of strain on the rafters and houses down in these parts are up to 350 years old in rare cases. Many of them are 150-250 years old outside of the cities.

Archived