Newest Member
    joxey
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have our non region Debbies been?

I do kind of miss the daily troll post from Allsnow in a sick way...the once-a-day drive by like clockwork talking about how awful the pattern is and wouldn't bring more snow or some other aspect that was bad like how far below average ORH was for snow...you name it.

At any rate, no sign of the pattern going sour...cold and plenty of storm chances right through mid-February.

I do kind of miss the daily troll post from Allsnow in a sick way...the once-a-day drive by like clockwork talking about how awful the pattern is and wouldn't bring more snow or some other aspect that was bad like how far below average ORH was for snow...you name it.

At any rate, no sign of the pattern going sour...cold and plenty of storm chances right through mid-February.

That is some pattern on the ensembles. You would think NYC could cash in on something by mid month.

Question for the long range guys. It's a long ways out there, but do you have any preliminary thoughts on mid-late March for northern NE? Reason I ask is I have time off from work to go on a ski trip with my brother. Initial plan was to go to Snowmass Colorado where my Dad will be, but looks like the tough winter out West will continue for the foreseeable future. Northern VT looks like it's having the best conditions in the entire country now, so I'm kinda thinking that our best bet is to go there, but later in March is typically a wild card in the northeast. We had great luck with northern VT in March 2013 with deep winter conditions. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Question for the long range guys. It's a long ways out there, but do you have any preliminary thoughts on mid-late March for northern NE? Reason I ask is I have time off from work to go on a ski trip with my brother. Initial plan was to go to Snowmass Colorado where my Dad will be, but looks like the tough winter out West will continue for the foreseeable future. Northern VT looks like it's having the best conditions in the entire country now, so I'm kinda thinking that our best bet is to go there, but later in March is typically a wild card in the northeast. We had great luck with northern VT in March 2013 with deep winter conditions. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Right now, I'd say March looks pretty damned good...but late March is always a wildcard.

Anywhere in NNE though in late March usually has excellent skiing if the winter as a whole has been prolific...which looks to continue through February anyway. So even if you get some temps in the 40s or 50s, you'll have epic bases and corn snow to ski on. You just want to avoid a nasty rainer.

I was up at Sunday River last March 22-23 and it wa sliterally mid-winter conditions...50" natural snow depth at the base of the mountain (like 900 feet elevation) and probably 6-8 feet higher up in the Jordan Bowl. But the temps were in the teens and 20s and there had been zero thaws recently, so it was powder and packed powder conditions...not late March corn snow, lol.

Sugarloaf is always a good late season destination if you are worried...their extra latitude protects them and really prolongs the season. Ditto Saddleback.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I have skied the third week of March at SR for 18 years in a row, never had a really bad trip, worst yet best was 2012 skiing at 90 degrees but on a whole Mid week March in NNE is gold, 3rd week is the best week as its the week of non Canadian kid vacations, with the 100 inches Sugar loaf has received this year conditions will be great. Not guaranteed glades but regular trails will be fine

Sent from my SM-G900V

You'll be fine unless we do March 2010 again with 70s in the mountains for days on end lol.

The skiing is unreal right now, hope we can keep it going. The wet paste storms really set us up, that Dec 10th cut-off bomb that brought 2-3 feet of 7:1 ratio snow pretty much made the winter up here. Recently it was added by a foot of heavy dense snow in mid-January when it rained east of I-91. Since then we've had 2 feet of blower to top it off from the clipper, upslope and Monday's 8-10 incher.

I really can't remember the mountains up here skiing like this to start February. Only 2010-2011 was similar in just steady snowfalls all winter so far. This is quickly becoming my favorite skiing winter because it's not like it's just been good for 2 weeks, overall it's been positive since mid-November.

Thanks much ORH, Ginxy and Powderfreak. Sugarloaf could be another option for us. That's one great area in the east that I've never been to but would love to go to. I wish I could just take a trip next week based on how epic conditions are now, but I'm thinking barring a March 2010 or 2012 torch, we'll be in great shape in NNE. Can only hope it's as good as week of 3/17-3/23/13 in NVT. Stowe and Jay were incredible that week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sugarloaf rocks! I have been skiing there since 1983 and the variety of terrain never disappoints. :-)

Big mountain. When there is abundant snow it is the best skiing in the East period.

Edit: Saddleback is also big Western Maine Mountain skiing and is awesome with good snow cover. (Of course all mountains are awesome with good snow cover but SL and Saddleback are still somewhat hidden treasures relative to their VT & NH counterparts and huge)

Incredible cold somewhere around feb 14?

Yeah, lets get the focus back on our next big event.  This weekend early week thing might be kinda moderate so why not start looking for the next big opportunity.  I think 2 days ago the feeling was the teleconnections were suggesting something just post-vday.  Perhaps your cold shot and then an Archembault event a couple days later?

any estimates of our next date of interest after the current 12" of meh?

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

LOOKING OUT TOWARDS THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK, A BRIEF PERIOD OF HIGH

PRESSURE BUILDS ACROSS THE NORTHEAST FOR TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY BUT

ANOTHER CLIPPER SYSTEM IS FAST ON ITS HEELS SHIFTING ACROSS THE

NORTH COUNTRY LATE WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY FOLLOWED BY A STRONG

ARCTIC FRONT. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE.

Clipper parade lining up it seems... we'll do well with accums almost every other or every third day possible.

Ski areas are going to be absolutely ridiculous in another two weeks at this rate.  Its already bordering on all-time conditions with tons of light powder on top of the bomber base from earlier in the winter.

The pattern is just relentless in how it builds again through mid-month....the current storm threat is the relaxation period...but we managed to escape the torch that a large chunk of the CONUS gets as we stay north of the arctic boundary.

The PAC reloads and it is pure -EPO/+PNA cold transport right into central and eastern US.

The pattern is just relentless in how it builds again through mid-month....the current storm threat is the relaxation period...but we managed to escape the torch that a large chunk of the CONUS gets as we stay north of the arctic boundary.

The PAC reloads and it is pure -EPO/+PNA cold transport right into central and eastern US.

seriously awesome

And I'd like to underscore that ... or bold it I guess ...  As I was discussing earlier, the -EPO/+PNA coupled phase state is actually the less likely physical construct of the synoptic circulation medium.  CDC matrix correlation table has these two indices as fairly significantly positively correlated in Dec, but does weak more to neutral by Feb.  Still, I think there is vestigial noise/physics in the air that tends these two to move together...  

Anyway, that all said, it makes sense they would tend to not actually be polarized, because to do so would require some kind of ginormous wave-space anomaly from the western end of the PNA domain ...all the way to Chicago!   So getting one?   Yeah, that's got to be close to a primary Hemispheric-scaled cold conveyor.   

Great thanks for answering looks.like the EPO will outweigh the positive AO

Much of last winter's historic cold in the MW that we occasionally tasted locally was during antecedent and on-going +AO/-EPO regime... 

There really aren't that many ridged definitions to teleconnectors.   You can have warm and cool anomalies relative to any phase of any teleconnector.  It's simple a matter of probabilities...  Yeah, ur less likely to get a cool snap in a +NAO.  But WAIT!   We can do it with a -EPO instead...  

The AO is the domain space above the 60th parallel. The EPO covers much of the NE Pac below that far N, as well as the Alaskan Sector.  Placing a synoptic ridge there pulls polarward air into the Canad, regardless of whether the whole of the AO domain space happens to be positive or not.  In fact, I have seen -AO dump almost all the cold off-load into Eurasia, and we balm -

Archived