joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've also gotten lucky in this pattern...you can't expect that a pattern like this would be giving Boston 70" of snow in 2 weeks if it happened again. You still need the exact shortwave details to come together to give multiple 12"+ snowstorms including 20"+ events.

The next time it happens, BOS could get 33" in two weeks...still pretty awesome right? But far from historic material.

So regression to the mean is still applicable within a good pattern too.

zero to do with climo though, climo doesn't change patterns, it doesn't determine whether a pattern continues to produce or not.

powderfreak, on 10 Feb 2015 - 9:22 PM, said:

C'mon Bday boy, you are the sultan of winter. You often contend negative posts about cold and snow. It's not a bad thing. I wish I had your optimism all the time. I really truly do. Not saying that to be a db.

cool but I contend people melting down when on the cusp of great runs, same ole she it 2010 2013 2014 2015. Not you but I already see some panic posts, it's obscenely funny.

zero to do with climo though, climo doesn't change patterns, it doesn't determine whether a pattern continues to produce or not.

Yes, climo is a composite of different patterns. So climo itself isn't an argument straight-up. But climo includes past patterns that were similar, so we can look at those past similar patterns and conclude that the luck is unlikely to continue at this level.

Certainly doesn't mean we don't break records though. Even another 15-20" the rest of this month is pretty damned good.

Which area do you think finishes with more snow this season, Boston, or Powderfreak's hood up in Stowe Village? They are running neck and neck. ...

I'm rooting for Boston. If they are ever going to do it it's this year.

We have had a very consistent winter though up here since mid-November onward. I always rib Ginxy for wire to wire comments in the fall but this one really has been up here. Only thaw was really Grinch storm.

We will have the length of the season though...deeper into April to sneak it out. And I do think with this consistent parade of systems (even back to Nov/Dec they were coming often), that as the seasonal jet lifts we stand a decent chance to reap in March. Especially if the ridge out west retrogrades a bit and the trough here moves west a bit.

Which area do you think finishes with more snow this season, Boston, or Powderfreak's hood up in Stowe Village? They are running neck and neck. ...

changing the narrative, your narrative change is like the GW alarmists who five years ago said my grandkids wouldn't see snow who now say well GW causes more snow. Now let's just take that question for the next two weeks which is the pattern limit I can see. I say yea Boston stays neck and neck with PF

changing the narrative, your narrative change is like the GW alarmists who five years ago said my grandkids wouldn't see snow who now say well GW causes more snow. Now let's just take that question for the next two weeks which is the pattern limit I can see. I say yea Boston stays neck and neck with PF

Changing what narrative? I'm making a germaine point. You ramble on in these incoherent tirades. I'm not talking the next two weeks, there you go, changing the narrative. I'm talking the rest of the season....hey, maybe the pattern will go til April, who knows...maybe it will never end and we'll have a white memorial day

We certainly had some luck though. No question. I agree with Will in that the same overall long wave pattern could and very well likely would not be as prolific. This is all with a +NAO you too. If you told me this would happen with a +NAO, I'd say you'd be crazy, but the Pacific has been a pants tent over the west coast. Just placed perfectly.

We certainly had some luck though. No question. I agree with Will in that the same overall long wave pattern could and very well likely would not be as prolific. This is all with a +NAO you too. If you told me this would happen with a +NAO, I'd say you'd be crazy, but the Pacific has been a pants tent over the west coast. Just placed perfectly.

New sig??

Natural variation or variance if you want to use more scientific terms.

Another name for "chaos"...the same longwave pattern would not produce the same results every time due to these small nuances within the longwave pattern.

Yes that's it in a more articulate way. Chaos.

It takes some "luck" to go 1717 style.

Well, we'll see what happens. Pattern is awesome, ripe with chances. Good convo, but sry for derailing lol

I agree pattern is great , if it sticks for another 2 weeks I like us scoring another 15-25" inches of snow (assuming next 2 threats don't get more than 5" combined. . If Ridge Retrogrades we are out of the sweet spot, if Ridge Retrogrades and we have no blocking.....get ready to resume cutter season. Yes our luck would probably be better than the first 7 weeks of MET winter when everything was a cutter but I would bet if 2 weeks from now we re-enter the early Jan like pattern we will be lucky to get 8"  from Feb 24 to End of March.  So let's say that gives us 26" additional from now. Obviously blindly pinning the tail on the donkey guesstimates but let's see.

Archived