joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I see Rays point as far as the streak ending. We have gone 5 for 5 in the last month. We miss a couple, trade for a linebacker off the scrap heap who turns out just to need motivation. Next thing you know we are winning the AFC and on to the SB

That's the thing though...we haven't. We missed a couple.

Those 15-30" storms make up for a lot of sins though.

Over the last month or so the bar was raised quite high on these events, First it started up here and recently in SNE but now they have to be lowered back to reasonable levels as it is tough to sustain these high end events over the long haul and eventually, All good tings will come to an end

That's the thing though...we haven't. We missed a couple.

Those 15-30" storms make up for a lot of sins though.

I forgot about that 2" event. I think the others were pretty solid...

Have there Ben 5 events since that Saturday storm before the blizzard? 6? I have lost count

So 4/5 or 5/6. Nice streak in my book I would like a 20"er since my biggest has been "only" 14.5. That has been a tough nut to crack here. The Octobomb has been my only one in a while

Yeah I guess I look at it in the same way Will describes. The actual pattern itself hasn't changed, but it's possible we may not get these ridiculous events with such frequency.

That said, pattern still is sweet looking.

Man, I'll never question you when you say that ever again. I remember a month ago when you and Will we're blowing the trumpet and banging the drum about a sweet pattern coming and many of us were like yeah right uh huh.

I'm not at all down on the pattern....quite the contrary. Just has to slow down a bit is all I mean.

why? I mean it's the same pattern. And don't go throwing out any time people post negative about snow I respond BS. It doesn't HAVE to slow down, it can though but I see the same pattern, missing by a couple of degrees of latitude is not it slowing down, I see Miller B bombs continuing, hopefully we cash in on the existing stable pattern.

What in the world are you talking about? If you can't grasp the fact that we aren't going to make 150-200" in Boston because of climo, then I don't think I can help you lol Pretty simple...nothing to backtrack

why? I mean it's the same pattern. And don't go throwing out any time people post negative about snow I respond BS. It doesn't HAVE to slow down, it can though but I see the same pattern, missing by a couple of degrees of latitude is not it slowing down, I see Miller B bombs continuing, hopefully we cash in on the existing stable pattern.

What in the world are you talking about? If you can't grasp the fact that we aren't going to make 150-200" in Boston because of climo, then I don't think I can help you lol Pretty simple...nothing to backtrack

if that is what you originally said I would agree but a bunch of people posted why you were wrong but you said we all lacked reading comprehension.

C'mon Bday boy, you are the sultan of winter. You often contend negative posts about cold and snow. It's not a bad thing. I wish I had your optimism all the time. I really truly do. Not saying that to be a db.

if that is what you originally said I would agree but a bunch of people posted why you were wrong but you said we all lacked reading comprehension.

That is what I said. The people who implied I gave up on Sunday ignored the fact that I said "perhaps". Last I checked, that is not an absolute term. Was I a little disappointed,with trends today? Sure....

climo doesn't determine existing patterns,climo has zero to do with this

Regression to climo only really matters when determining pattern imo. Now that we're locked in an exceedingly rare pattern, several SD above normal, I don't think that argument works.

Ok. Boston is not going to get greater than 120" of snow. I promise you. Write it down, record it, throw on yoga pants and choreograph some slick moves to the beat of it. Do whatever the hell you wish.

Regression to climo only really matters when determining pattern imo. Now that we're locked in an exceedingly rare pattern, several SD above normal, I don't think that argument works.

We've also gotten lucky in this pattern...you can't expect that a pattern like this would be giving Boston 70" of snow in 2 weeks if it happened again. You still need the exact shortwave details to come together to give multiple 12"+ snowstorms including 20"+ events.

The next time it happens, BOS could get 33" in two weeks...still pretty awesome right? But far from historic material.

So regression to the mean is still applicable within a good pattern too.

Ok. Boston is not going to get greater than 120" of snow. I promise you. Write it down, record it, throw on yoga pants and choreograph some slick moves to the beat of it. Do whatever the hell you wish.

If it ends up with 120, that's well above the previous record which def isn't climo slowing this thing down between now and then. That would be prolific for the rest of FEB/MAR. The only ceiling is how long/stable this pattern remains with a bit of variance depending on exact tracks etc.

We've also gotten lucky in this pattern...you can't expect that a pattern like this would be giving Boston 70" of snow in 2 weeks if it happened again. You still need the exact shortwave details to come together to give multiple 12"+ snowstorms including 20"+ events.

The next time it happens, BOS could get 33" in two weeks...still pretty awesome right? But far from historic material.

Oh, I don't expect this again in my lifetime. Still ridiculous, but it's definitely a prolific pattern that could produce the snowiest winter with any stroke of positive variance.

The luck factor evens out...we've seen plenty of patterns in the past that long range mets say looks awesome, and it ends up looking awesome but doesn't produce anything and folks are left saying "that wasn't an awesome pattern."

If it ends up with 120, that's well above the previous record which def isn't climo slowing this thing down between now and then. That would be prolific for the rest of FEB/MAR. The only ceiling is how long/stable this pattern remains with a bit of variance depending on exact tracks etc.

You're missing the point. There is a limit......the luck will run out.

The luck factor evens out...we've seen plenty of patterns in the past that long range mets say looks awesome, and it ends up looking awesome but doesn't produce anything and folks are left saying "that wasn't an awesome pattern."

But it depends what scale we use... Another 2-3 weeks of prolific events is really a microcosm in the grand scheme of things. I just don't think climo is a valid excuse for a tapering of these last few weeks. To get 70 again over the next few weeks won't happen, but epicosity can continue.

Archived