• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

I give the Euro credit for being the first to catch onto the large scale blizzard that ended up happening. But it did fail pretty hard on the placement of max qpf to the west in the very short term. It had similar issues in the Feb 2013 blizzard, though it wasnt as adamant in how west it pushed things within 24 hrs if i recall correctly. The nam was just as atrocious in the short term as it was in the feb 2013 storm. I hate that thing

Thoughts on weeklies? It's almost like the same overall theme.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has changed in the pattern to take us from cold and dry to cold and snowy? I mean there really haven't been any large scale changes. Maybe PNA spikes?

Perhaps having the stratosphere vortex displaced over in siberia of late has supported a wavier jet stream on this side of the globe alongside the favorable pacific setup...back earlier in the month through that first big cold wave, the stratosphere was split with a lobe in canada, which I think inhibited the waviness/storminess. Thats one hypothesis anyway.   

Thoughts on weeklies? It's almost like the same overall theme.

Yeah i mean I cant see what would break this pattern we have entered that is well supported by the strong +PDO regime..It looks PNA dominated and the occasional pac jet extentions modulating the EPO (which otherwise looks negative by default going forward)...The nao is dissapointing but we've proven recently and last year that it is not necessary, especially for you guys...I have no problem with the recent runs of the weeklies which have locked in this look

Yeah i mean I cant see what would break this pattern we have entered that is well supported by the strong +PDO regime..It looks PNA dominated and the occasional pac jet extentions modulating the EPO (which otherwise looks negative by default going forward)...The nao is dissapointing but we've proven recently and last year that it is not necessary, especially for you guys...I have no problem with the recent runs of the weeklies which have locked in this look

brutal cfs_f_2mtemp_avg_t4_f2.gif

well it was more than Mass centric, you forgot about 40 mile East Of NYC in LI

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/hydromet/hydrometDisplay.php?event=stormTotalv3_48&element=snow&centeron=BOX

OT...but that map is off back this way. I don't think I saw a single report of 20"+ west of the CT River(maybe Old Saybrook right on the river)...but it shows 20-25" shading back almost to HVN.

This may be under-the-radar but I noticed actually the NAVGEM was the first to hone in on the blizzard with consistency, run to run... out pacing the other guidance by almost a full day's worth of runs before they started converge on a similar solution.  Euro was next to do so...then the GFS and others nodded. 

Sometimes the sun shines on a dog's arse...  Since no one really uses the model ...save for mid afternoon boredom and nothing else to click... it's probable that no one really noticed that.  Even I dismissed it... I saw the model rotating the trough from positive to neutral ...negative across 18 hours and then stem-winding a coastal low and thought -- really.  Sure enough..

whats cool is I have been alive for 14/15 of these Jerry all 15

Once again, here is the list of storms total over 20 inches
here at Blue Hill Observatory's history dating back to 1885,
with the new storm update:

1) 38.7 on 24-28 Feb, 1969
2) 30.8 on 26-28 Jan, 2015
3) 30.3 on 3-5 Mar, 1960
4) 30.1 on 6-7 Feb, 1978
5) 30.0 on 31 Mar - 1 Apr, 1997
6) 29.8 on 6-8 Mar, 2013
7) 26.6 on 8-9 Feb, 2013
8) 24.7 on 17-18 Feb, 2003
9) 24.3 on 5-7 Dec, 2003
10) 23.0 on 5-7 Mar, 2001
11) 22.2 on 16-17 Feb, 1958
12) 21.0 on 9-10 Feb, 1969
13) 20.5 on 22-23 Jan, 2005
14) 20.3 on 12 Dec, 1960
15) 20.0 on 31 Jan - 1 Feb, 1898

I only was around for 12 of the 15.

I only was around for 12 of the 15.

It's interesting that 7 out of those 15 occurred since 2000, whereas (and probably more important..) the total spread is over a century's worth of years.  

Seems odd to have so much noise packed in to the last 15 years.  It may be that you just get episodes like this;  between 55 and 70 there was a packing of events, too.  

No one answered so I'll ask a different way. How are we looking for the end of week snow? Light- mod clipper snow, or still chance of a deeper solution?

The base-line pattern remains active post Monday's ordeal.  Smaller disturbances that fit inside of less than larger mass-field signals can take place from time to time, but I mentioned at the thread start that there was a more interesting signal nearing the end of the first week of Feb, more specifically ... I think that is still on the table as the next more viable potential...  The 12z Euro had an  echo of the potential out in la-la land, though it's absurd to think it would verify per se.  

It is in fact rare to get a 30" storm, that is encased inside a massive area of 15 to 20" like that, then put up a warning for another 9-14" just four days later.  I think folks should remember that if they are turning into the weather for entertainment.  May have to wait a bit longer next time.

Archived