• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

you did tell me twice Jan 05 was not walking in the door. I saw that analog 11 times in 7 days. Can't stress enough how much that means something is going to pop.Might not mean an exact replica but then again maybe....

:lol: I also said "heil futility", at one point...as Scott so gleefully recalled.

Like I said, if we're bantering in a thread, I'll speak out of frustration....if I didn't alter the outlook, it didn't happen.

I said I expected at least two KUs this season, and that at least one would be Miller B east.

Don S made a post in the general forum referencing something about Jan '05 along about mid month...I remember because i was going to quote in our thread, but I was tired because it was late. i figured that I'd post it when I woke up, but Jay had beaten me to it by that point.

I endorsed the idea.

This is why I took the time to draft that prolix this season....because I wanted my thoughts right there in plain english.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are talking long range here, if we step back there are 4 main features so far this winter from my perspective:

1. a prominent -EPO and good PNA spikes
  2. a progressive pattern
  3. a decent southern stream
  4. a positive NAO

As we look further into February and into March, do we think these features stay the same or will some change?  The biggest case for change might be weak Nino climo which should give us some -NAO.  But we have gotten on that horse before and been thrown off.  I could see 3 scenarios:

• The EPO finally turns positive and we flood warm and its spring
  • We get some NAO blocking and everybody happy, me happy too
  • More of the same, with some big misses and some decent hits.

What do you think?

Since we are talking long range here, if we step back there are 4 main features so far this winter from my perspective:

• a prominent -EPO and good PNA spikes
  • a progressive pattern
  • a decent southern stream
  • a positive NAO

As we look further into February and into March, do we think these features stay the same or will some change?  The biggest case for change might be weak Nino climo which should give us some -NAO.  But we have gotten on that horse before and been thrown off.  I could see 3 scenarios:

• The EPO finally turns positive and we flood warm and its spring
  • We get some NAO blocking and everybody happy, me happy too
  • More of the same, with some big misses and some decent hits.

What do you think?

Bullet 1 is not likely IMHO.

I feel growing confidence the -NAO ain't happening in a steady fashion. I see no signs. But, Pacific looks have decent and we can work with transient or east based -NAO setups.

At least we are getting some NAO pulses showing up. The mean definitely still looks positives but the transient pulses can amplify our storm chances with the PAC setup we have.

At least we are getting some NAO pulses showing up. The mean definitely still looks positives but the transient pulses can amplify our storm chances with the PAC setup we have.

That is something that has changed recently.  Maybe that is what continues.  But I would suspect that we get a period of -NAO.  I just hope it doesn't ruin spring.  The reason I say that is because it usually happens in weak Nino's right?  Maybe not until later February though.

Archived