• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

Yeah January 1996 was an odd cutoff also. Something interesting could happen out of it. I just hope the closed low doesn't go that far south so we don't waste it.

South trend hasn't been our problem at all this year except for the freak early season storm that hit SC. 

I suppose the best thing to hope for is the lead low tracking through the tn valley and not WV.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The map ian posted indicates they have another 30-40" to go, so they might just do it :)

Last year was a repeat of 1993-94 with the gradient a little further south, and therefore a great winter for all of us. I feel that this year is also like 1994 in some ways (-EPO, +NAO, persistent cold in the east) but with a gradient further north and SNE being the sweet spot.

Boston has a shot of getting 100" this year, which has only happened in 1994 and 1996 if I'm not mistaken

Last year was a repeat of 1993-94 with the gradient a little further south, and therefore a great winter for all of us. I feel that this year is also like 1994 in some ways (-EPO, +NAO, persistent cold in the east) but with a gradient further north and SNE being the sweet spot.

Boston has a shot of getting 100" this year, which has only happened in 1994 and 1996 if I'm not mistaken

94 fell short. 96 was pretty far ahead of this seasons' so far but of course it looks like a back-loaded season for them.

Other than 95/95, none of Boston's top seasons are the legendary ones for DC. Baltimore did better than DC though.

After looking at the euro ens members, there's an unusual risk of a coastal low retro'ing towards the nc coast and being rain up here. The hp moving lock step with the Midwest low keeps moving. A fair # of the big precip solutions from the crawling closed ull are kinda warm.

I'm certainly not sold on the whole closed and crawling stuff because that in itself is uncommon. But some of the solutions in the mix are comical in a heartbreaking kind of way.

After looking at the euro ens members, there's an unusual risk of a coastal low retro'ing towards the nc coast and being rain up here. The hp moving lock step with the Midwest low keeps moving. A fair # of the big precip solutions from the crawling closed ull are kinda warm.

I'm certainly not sold on the whole closed and crawling stuff because that in itself is uncommon. But some of the solutions in the mix are comical in a heartbreaking kind of way.

Is there a real life example of such a storm that's happened in our area?

Early Feb is a weird time of year to get a storm to cutoff and wobble around. But it has been showing up fairly consistently among various guidance so it does seem it's possible until the models get a grip at least. 

I believe DC's biggest snowstorm of all-time took a stemwinder type of track similar to what the Euro is hinting at.  Most likely the Euro and it's ensemble are wrong, and we end up with something else, but it's possible I guess. Of course we didn't have the technology we have today to track storms precisely back in 1922, so who knows what the exact track of that storm really was.  But anytime you get a closed 500 mb bowling ball south of DC, extremely rare at that lattitude, strange things can happen.

I believe DC's biggest snowstorm of all-time took a stemwinder type of track similar to what the Euro is hinting at.  Most likely the Euro and it's ensemble are wrong, and we end up with something else, but it's possible I guess. Of course we didn't have the technology we have today to track storms precisely back in 1922, so who knows what the exact track of that storm really was. 

the fact that you have to go back 93 years to find something along the lines of what the euro is showing, should give us all pause

not that I'm rooting against it, just feeling a wee bit incredulous about its evolution

like I said earlier, too complicated for our location

yeah i think you're mostly right with that in general. we are a simple snow town.  there is a signal for something in that sun-wedish period though... what else are we going to do with our lives right?

like I said earlier, too complicated for our location

Exactly why we root for the mw low to pass south no matter what. There are plenty of those to not write anything off. Some of the more believable solutions for a good hit have the low digging southward and a long swath of overunning stretching far nw of the low center along a frontal boundary.

I'm indifferent to the entire thing overall because we're way too far out in time to make fast decisions on how it goes. Could it go north again and stick SNE? Absolutely. But for now, the hp pressure center to the north is far more favorable than this last mess. Instead of moving behind the low and having a weaker arm extending across the lakes, this one move directly over top. Very big difference as it stands now. Being paranoid but hopeful is all we got.

Problems with the setup:

No 50/50 low

Kicker

Ridging in Western Atlantic= Progressive south to north flow.

Troff goes negative too late

The Western Atlantic ridge is actually negating the kicker and the late Negative tilt. The best we can hope for with that  setup is a March 2009 setup which didn't do well back this way.

Archived