• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
My favorite event of the year

Ji

The jan 21 event. A cold snow(8-9) inches in my backyard and then unreal temps following the snow. Looked like i lived in Alaska. The storm and combined cold and the harshness made it my favorite storm of the year.Yes..beating the KU

Were you asleep or something overnight on the 13th, lol? ;) I'll take the 2"/hr rates and 18-19" total over a storm that had 60 degree temps the day before (causing us to waste some QPF to melting on the streets at least) and terrible rates until like the last 2 hours of the storm.

If you gave me the option of 8" and 0 degree temps after or a 20" HECS that starts melting immediately as we torch to 65 degrees after, I'll take the 20" everytime. :)

I'm gonna say Jan 2nd. Felt amazing to finally bust the snow drought in my backyard, and I was so surprised that it overperformed, unlike 12/10 that I thought would bust my 2 inch drought. The cold and wind the next morning was awesome.

Jan 21st was a bit disappointing as the first few hours sucked and we didn't reach the 8-12 amounts.

Feb 13th had disgustingly high temps the day of and after, even though overnight was epic. (I pulled an all nighter)

I hate getting soaking wet walking in snow. Give me 10 inches and cold over 15-20 and torch any day.

most of what i saw from the KU was mix. I didnt pull an all nighter. I stayed up till 3:00am and couldnt stay awake anymore. I woke up at 7 and saw 2 hours of pouring snow and then it mixed and it was drizzle all day till the it turned back to snow and that under performed. and then 2 days later...we had a severe melting.

This was probably my least favorite KU ever....

12/8: B-, nice to get 1st snow.  Actually colder than progged.  But couldn't go 2 posts without seeing a deck pick of 20" from the burbs.  Plus Philly getting a KU during the game.

12/10: D, Standard WSW bust.  I am still not over it.  Awful event made worse by nonstop deck pics.

1/2-3: B, Warm event, but good once it got going.  Lucky to happen at night.  Euro KU never happened, but it was actually an overperformer as it looked  like we would get screwed 24 hours out

1/21: B+, horrible antecedent air mass but delivered once it got dark. Well modeled inside 36 hours once Euro caught on.  North trend was frightening, but we ended up just surviving.  Beginning of GFS losing streak as it was way too far south and gave us like 50% of our precip in the 1st 3-4 hours lol

1/28-29: C+, I've never seen snow have trouble sticking at 10 degrees.  Nice semi-surprise as it was supposed to miss us to the southeast, but not worth staying up until the middle of the night.  Bush league move on my part.

2/9: B, Colder out than expected.  Snowed moderate for under an hour.  Kind of snow that stuck easily.  Nice little Sunday afternoon treat/appetizer.

2/12-13: A-, Took a while to get going.  Wish it was even heavier than it was.  Round 2 sucked.  But overall, memorable and special.  I was dog tired. Should have rested more before the event.  Euro hit an upper decker to win the world series.

2/18: C+, Kept the momentum going, but underperformer.  Too mixy. 2 unimpressive rounds.  Gets a bump up for brief bout of +SN in round 1.

2/25: A-, Overperformer. Nearly jackpotted.  Beautiful fat wet dendrites, that stuck pretty well due to nice rates. Felt like a March snow.  Great timing. NW got screwed which made it better.  Pretty snow.  Yield per time invested ratio was high.

2/26: B, performed to expectations.  Good timing.  Stuck better than 2/25 to streets and sidewalks.  Tiny flakes, occasional low viz. Nice event and nice stats padder.  Late start allowed me to get some more sleep than anticipated.

12/8: B-, nice to get 1st snow.  Actually colder than progged.  But couldn't go 2 posts without seeing a deck pick of 20" from the burbs.  Plus Philly getting a KU during the game.

12/10: D, Standard WSW bust.  I am still not over it.  Awful event made worse by nonstop deck pics.

1/2-3: B, Warm event, but good once it got going.  Lucky to happen at night.  Euro KU never happened, but it was actually an overperformer as it looked  like we would get screwed 24 hours out

1/21: B+, horrible antecedent air mass but delivered once it got dark. Well modeled inside 36 hours once Euro caught on.  North trend was frightening, but we ended up just surviving.  Beginning of GFS losing streak as it was way too far south and gave us like 50% of our precip in the 1st 3-4 hours lol

1/28-29: C+, I've never seen snow have trouble sticking at 10 degrees.  Nice semi-surprise as it was supposed to miss us to the southeast, but not worth staying up until the middle of the night.  Bush league move on my part.

2/9: B, Colder out than expected.  Snowed moderate for under an hour.  Kind of snow that stuck easily.  Nice little Sunday afternoon treat/appetizer.

2/12-13: A-, Took a while to get going.  Wish it was even heavier than it was.  Round 2 sucked.  But overall, memorable and special.  I was dog tired. Should have rested more before the event.  Euro hit an upper decker to win the world series.

2/18: C+, Kept the momentum going, but underperformer.  Too mixy. 2 unimpressive rounds.  Gets a bump up for brief bout of +SN in round 1.

2/25: A-, Overperformer. Nearly jackpotted.  Beautiful fat wet dendrites, that stuck pretty well due to nice rates. Felt like a March snow.  Great timing. NW got screwed which made it better.  Pretty snow.  Yield per time invested ratio was high.

2/26: B, performed to expectations.  Good timing.  Stuck better than 2/25 to streets and sidewalks.  Tiny flakes, occasional low viz. Nice event and nice stats padder.  Late start allowed me to get some more sleep than anticipated.

this is great. The KU storm was ridiculous in terms of how much i slept before the storm. I must of averaged 2-3 hours a night and the storm was on my mind 24-7. It really exposed how hooked I am to this stuff. Unhealthy to say the least

this is great. The KU storm was ridiculous in terms of how much i slept before the storm. I must of averaged 2-3 hours a night and the storm was on my mind 24-7. It really exposed how hooked I am to this stuff. Unhealthy to say the least

I should probably have given 1/21 an A, because if it kept trending north and busted, I would have been committed.  It saved my sanity. Most important storm of my life for my mental health.

2/12-13 is the best. The rates after midnight were great. I finally dozed off at 2:30 am and woke up at 5 am to see a lot of additional accumulation. The dynamics with the ULL were very fun. Thunder with the rain, a change to window rattling sleet and then big fat half dollar sized flakes. It ripped for a few hours to give me an additional few inches. It was awesome.

I should probably have given 1/21 an A, because if it kept trending north and busted, I would have been committed.  It saved my sanity. Most important storm of my life for my mental health.

the trends in the last 1 or 2 runs were awful. People in Southern Fairfax county hardly saw anything for most of the day. It would of been one of the worst busts of our lives i think

My top two events of this Winter season:

1.  2/12-2/13:  Woke up to over 15" of snow (found out that I was in 35-40 dBZ bands the whole night).  Round two was a huge over-performer.  Got around 6" in an hour and 8" for the whole round.  The 2' mark was exceeded with an unofficial report of 29".  The fact that the Today Show featured my home town for a little segment put the cherry on top.  

2. 12/8/13: Was tracking an ice event and ended up with 8-9" of snow.  Surprise snows are the best!  The Ravens played that day in white-out conditions.  Awesome to look at!

7ppuqge.jpg

The 1-21 ended the awful dca streak that cwg loved to talk about. It also restored our faith that it could snow again in the area. Probably the most important event of our lives

My top two events of this Winter season:

1.  2/12-2/13:  Woke up to over 15" of snow (found out that I was in 35-40 dBZ bands the whole night).  Round two was a huge over-performer.  Got around 6" in an hour and 8" for the whole round.  The 2' mark was exceeded with an unofficial report of 29".  The fact that the Today Show featured my home town for a little segment put the cherry on top.  

2. 12/8/13: Was tracking an ice event and ended up with 8-9" of snow.  Surprise snows are the best!  The Ravens played that day in white-out conditions.  Awesome to look at!

7ppuqge.jpg

6 inches per hour? Seriously? I'd don't know that was possible in synoptic snows. I thought the general cap was 4-5 inches.

2/13 KU (~17", first time I've ever seen the sky flash with thundersnow)

12/8/2013 (went from dusting to almost 4" in 45 mins, ~6" total)

12/10/2013 (very picturesque and pretty... first full snowstorm I've seen at Millersville, also helps that it came right after a great overperforming first snow of the season, 5")

I was away on 1/21

6 inches per hour? Seriously? I'd don't know that was possible in synoptic snows. I thought the general cap was 4-5 inches.

It is extremely rare, but it has happened. Last years NE blizzard dropped 6"/hr over Connecticut in spots that popped over 3'. They also had small hail in some of those bands. Strong tstorms off the coast wrapped right over the cold air causing 55dbz snow burst over area. Incredible radar shots of that band.

My favorite storm of the year was no doubt 2/12-13. The snowfall of 17" with thunder and lightning from ULL was awesome. My next favorite was the ice storm. I just have never seen a good one before. I finally have and boy do they mean business. It was worse for other areas as well. I'll do without another one for awhile and I'll be content. Mapgirl may yell at me for saying I liked that storm

The 1/28 "southern slider" that overperformed here. I know places along I-95 and west only managed a dusting to an inch, but I had 5 inches of 12 degree champagne power fluff. The forecast was for 1-3 inches. It came down fast and furious with perfect well formed dendrites. Very enjoyable event.

post-1005-0-27642300-1393467440_thumb.jp

3/3: B+, Late comer, but then underperfomer.  But gets a high grade for such a cool event.  High impact main street stickage.  +SN at the end. Epic cold.  Very pretty snow. And missed 40N for the most part.

I'm calling yesterday's my favorite due to the incredibly low temps and the fact that it screwed Philly/NYC/Boston.

Unfortunately lol, Philly got almost as much snow as Baltimore and DC. They ended getting 3", so I guess they kind of did well too.

My favorite storm was 1/21. It was a great, cold snow. I ended up getting 8", with 12"+ drifts. Awesome...

Archived