joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i got about 2" in the city with ~250' elevation. it was basically all snow at my location just melty snow.

And all I got was a dusting and I'm S of DCA. Elev around 180. The r/s line was painfully slow to reach me that day

It was sort've weird. I flew into DCA that evening and drove to Richmond. There was like a dusting at the airport, but it seemed the farther south I got, the more snow. I remember remember south of Woodbridge around Stafford and Fredericksburg about 2-3" had fallen.

This is somewhat like the March 1-2 09 event-- we had 1-3 inches region wide from the actual SLP and another 8-10 from the ULL. Biggest difference was the -10 h85 air that was screaming in from the west. We had a slushy 2 inches at my house round one and another 8.5 ull driven. Was pretty amazing-- 5 inches in 2 hours.

I'm feel pretty good at 48 hours out and the NAM/GFS bring the ULL a little to far south for me. No model will do well with the banding set ups-- March 1 had a 2 band event that dumbed a ton over the NRV region that wasn't really forecasted. They were expecting 2-4 and got 8-10.

i was thinking of this too. i think someone from your neck to west of ric to ezf gets a nice upper surprise

GGEM has a beautiful track, but gives everyone mostly rain until you're up in the mountains. Ends as snow. Probably because the storm is weaker and can't get the cold air wrapped in.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

GGEM is often way too warm at the mid-levels. I would trust the Euro, GFS, and NAM temp profiles more.

That was December 2003. I got about 9" of snow from the first part of the storm, in which warmer areas were completely screwed, and 6" from the second part.

Yea. I think it was 2003. But I just went looking through newspaper archives to try to find it. The December 2003 storm looks like it happened on a Saturday and I am pretty sure this was a weekday cause I was going on a work assignment up there. Either way, one of the articles mentions how Howard County had 3 early season snowfalls that year, so it was likely one of those.

Yea. I think it was 2003. But I just went looking through newspaper archives to try to find it. The December 2003 storm looks like it happened on a Saturday and I am pretty sure this was a weekday cause I was going on a work assignment up there. Either way, one of the articles mentions how Howard County had 3 early season snowfalls that year, so it was likely one of those.

That was a 2-part storm. The first part was a wet snow dump early Friday morning for the suburbs. The snow switched to drizzle for everyone before the coastal got cranking. Then, the Potomac River pretty much divided the significant accumulations from the coastal Friday night into Saturday morning from just an inch or two SW of the river.

Anyone discuss why HPC is going with a coastal solution when all their SLP track clustering favors a HSE to the BM solution, which is perfect for I-95 storms (DCA-ILG)? I get the warm air advancement and the 'stale' cold and the lack of a blocking High to infuse fresh Canadian cold air in place as the SLP bombs out, but what is up with that forecast SLP track? Looks like HPC simply ignored all the clustering data?

http://www.hpc.ncep....k_ensembles.gif

I just looked at my records from that storm. Up here i got 9.5". 3.5" fell on friday/ friday night December 5th, the other 6" fell Saturday December 6th

Anyone discuss why HPC is going with a coastal solution when all their SLP track clustering favors a HSE to the BM solution, which is perfect for I-95 storms (DCA-ILG)? I get the warm air advancement and the 'stale' cold and the lack of a blocking High to infuse fresh Canadian cold air in place as the SLP bombs out, but what is up with that forecast SLP track? Looks like HPC simply ignored all the clustering data?

http://www.hpc.ncep....k_ensembles.gif

some euro hugging maybe .. it has been rather consistent

I don't remember who posted earlier about "fight fight fight" but it will likely be the case. There will be a fierce battlezone with the R/S line and surface temps cold enough to accumulate. There is no way a model nails the battlezone. It's been a while since we've seen a storm like this. The obs thread is going to great for some and heartbreaking for others.

I live in Rockville so I expect to get enough slop to be happy but my friends in Mt Airy are going to make me jealous. Of course, maybe I-95 ends up being the dividing line for good snow vs meh.

Nowcasting is going to be a bit more fun with this than usual.

Came across this elsewhere. Thought you may find it interesting...

<sniP>

You could just link the Capital Weather Gang article instead of the whole copy and paste thing

Also - FYI... both Ian and usedtobe write articles for CWG. In case you weren't aware.

Archived