• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

I could see it getting wetter and maybe getting colder but the latter is more iffy. If the nam still shows snow inside of 24 hrs, I'll start getting excited. Right now it's still too much of a thread the needle deal for most of us. Where you live, you might be OK anyway sinc eyou're farther away from the ocean. DC needs help.

Any possibility of ice around CHO?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nam surface looks weird when compared to the 500h center. I'm not sure what it means. It certainly has lots fo convection out with the eastern low. That might be right but could also be an artifact of the latent heating from its convective scheme. This run does illustrate how much this is a thread the needle deal which around hee usually doesn't work that well.

Looking at the upper air everything converges at northern GA, AL area at 54 when the surface looks like it wants to start popping a surface low there. Could we be looking at the northern low escaping with a secondary forming to the south? Or is this the NAM not sure whether to capture the low or not so it leaves it strung out?

Not sure anyone can buy into these solutions yet given the huge changes every six hours. The 06Z NAM gave some areas 15 inches of snow and now we get this.

I agree but for us to get a big snowstorm is still less likely than a rain to possibly ending as snow storm. I suspect that the NAM surface is goofy based on its 500h pattern but that's a guess as this year quite a few lows have elongated like the nam is forecasting.

Looking at the upper air everything converges at northern GA, AL area at 54 when the surface looks like it wants to start popping a surface low there. Could we be looking at the northern low escaping with a secondary forming to the south? Or is this the NAM not sure whether to capture the low or not so it leaves it strung out?

I don't know, it sure has lots of rainfall/convection with that initial low. That might be right but the latent heat from the convective scheme could also be lowering pressures too much too far east. I'm not smart enough to know whether it's real or memorex. I do remember the jan 2000 storm had issues because the latent heat wasn't handled properly among other things. I'm not saying that is true here, I don't know.

I don't know, it sure has lots of rainfall/convection with that initial low. That might be right but the latent heat from the convective scheme could also be lowering pressures too much too far east. I'm not smart enough to know whether it's real or memorex. I do remember the jan 2000 storm had issues because the latent heat wasn't handled properly among other things. I'm not saying that is true here, I don't know.

Don't let SNOWLUVER from CWG see you say that you don't know. :whistle:

06 Z had a very similar look as well. Thought that didn't look right then and I don't think the 12Z looks right now. But you have to wonder when you have 2 runs back to back like this.

I think most of us have believed in a decent precip event for almost a week now. I never took the OTS runs seriously. Not saying they weren't possible but living in this area for the better part of 35 years kept me pretty confident on a decent precip maker given the consistent H5 evolution. The bigger challenge has been temps of course. Not overly impressed with the temps regardless of the track and strength of the low.

The earlier post about the front end would be more organized if the high to the N was in place was a great post. More resistence = more lift. Very easy to understand. I can't see how we get 1 - 2" of precip without a stronger high to the N. It looks like the majority of our precip will be driven by dynamics and the strength and position of the H5 as it moves through. This is what makes this a fun storm. A lot of things can happen with a relatively potent surface low and a great H5 track. This is probably our only saving grace when hoping to overcome the obvious temp issues.

It will be great if we do get accum snow near the cities but the odds are a bit stacked against us at this point.

Archived