gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of moderate to heavy snow obs coming out of Ohio with that upper air system. That's almost always a good sign...especially when they weren't modeled to get all that much.

i mentioned this on a previous post

any thought that a stronger OV low/UL could result in things taking off a little slower along the coast?

just a thought.

I've said a bunch of times I'd ride the euro regardless of what it said at 12z. I think the NAM/RGEM have demonstrated just recently they'll be too far NW or I should say they could be too far NW. That may be totally wrong this time, but that was a decent shift at 12z and although it's not enough yet to rock the apple cart, if it continued again in the next runs you've got a solution much closer to the Euro/GFS. I understand the thought that the meso's should be better here and again they may well be, but I've not shoveled many feet of snow the NMM and ARW have delivered. I think we had all largely discarded them in SNE and up until this event they're rarely mentioned for a reason. Same goes with the MM5 although it has had its moments this year just like the ARW.

I'm kind of done making the point for now because I don't know it'll continue at 18z. If it does then we have something to talk about if the NAM is still the NW outlier. In posting the maps earlier right or wrong later, the thought was there.

All of those models absolutely nailed the Boxing Day storm this year... they all had that deform band out in eastern NY and heavy QPF along E.MA with a dry area in CT and central MA. I could post the images if anyone wants to be reminded.

IMO that event gave me a bit more respect for those models and cweat you even said they nailed it...I remember your praise for the MM5 after that storm. You bashed the GFS endlessly during that storm IIRC, lol, but now its got the right idea with this one?

Lots of moderate to heavy snow obs coming out of Ohio with that upper air system. That's almost always a good sign...especially when they weren't modeled to get all that much.

Nice.

. . . BTW, thanks for the feedback regarding the QPF line movement yesterday. The margin of error that you mentioned makes sense.

I meant to say thanks lastnight, but the posts were coming hard and heavy, so things got lost in the shuffle.

I remember the Taunton AFD the day before the Blizzard of 05, referencing the 6" to 12"+ amounts falling across the Ohio Valley as a sign of big things to come in New England

It is? looks much wetter than the op

Yeah it is in terms of QPF which is what OSU etc said should have been the case anyway. It's a moot point anyway Kev and NCEP is using your favorite model, the RUC.

Will would say correctly that the RUC ALWAYS displaces lows too close to shore, he's probably said it correctly a bundle of tiems and I'd agree but this is all very interesting from NCEP and really speaks to the fact that we need Dr. Feelgood to deliver a semi-final verdict. I think the GFS trajectory won't be bad, the max QPF should be over Bob's head/ri/will not mine though as it will adjust west.

EDIT: BTW the latest Ruc is well south or southeast of earlier Rucs after 5-6 hours...it sucks with low placement..

...ERN CONUS/WRN ATLC EVOLUTION TUE ONWARD...

PREFERENCE: NAM/00Z ECMWF/09Z SREF MEAN COMPROMISE WITH SOME

INPUT FROM LATEST RUC RUNS

WITH THE WAVE OFF THE SERN COAST THE NAM/GFS SFC ANALYSES ARE

ABOUT 2 MB WEAKER THAN OBSERVED. BASED ON BOUNDARY LAYER WIND

ANALYSES... THE NAM MAY BE A LITTLE SSE OF THE OBSERVED SFC LOW

POSN AND TO A GREATER EXTENT THE GFS APPEARS TO BE INITIALIZED TOO

FAR EWD. CONTINUING FROM INITIALIZATION TIME THE GFS REMAINS EWD

OF THE NAM FOR THE DURATION OF TIME THAT THE SYSTEM AFFECTS THE

EAST COAST. THE 09Z SREF MEAN AND 00Z ECMWF FCSTS VALID AT 12Z

VERIFY CLOSEST TO OBSERVED AMONG RECENT GUIDANCE AND THE 12Z

CANADIAN REG GEM OFFERS REASONABLE SUPPORT FOR THE NAM SCENARIO.

14Z-15Z RUC RUNS MAY BE A LITTLE WEAK BUT DO OFFER A TRACK WWD OF

THE GFS. AFOREMENTIONED CONSIDERATIONS RECOMMEND A COMPROMISE

AMONG THE NAM/00Z ECMWF/09Z SREF MEAN WITH SOME IDEAS FROM LATEST

RUC RUNS ALSO LIKELY PROVING TO BE HELPFUL. THE COMPROMISE OF THE

SREF MEAN/ECMWF WITH THE NAM ACCOUNTS FOR THE FACT THAT THE NAM

LEANS TO THE SLOWER SIDE OF THE NON-GFS GUIDANCE SPREAD DURING WED

INTO WED NIGHT AND SOMETIMES HAS SLOW BIASES

Just the thought of something like that again makes me want to put my head through a window :lol:

I never want to go through another bandy system again...unless it's a tropical system.

I am just mildly concerned that the MM5 map has that bulge of much lower qpf that essentially stretches from the Monadnocks down through N. ORH Co. and out towards GC. We saw that during the blizzard and it just kept expanding rather than shrinking. It's weird that it's placed E. of the Ct Riv Valley.

My hope is that the dynamics of this system are much different than the blizzard and that qpf hole is just an anomaly.

Archived