• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

a slight left tick on the QPF field on the GFS. 0.75" close to the NY/CT border whereas it was in central CT before. 1.0" line to about the CT river where it just scraped extreme SE New London county at 6z.

Yeah--the qpf is clearly more generous than the 00z run.

ALY is/was riding the GFS in their a.m. AFD.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing's verified just yet....but, sufficed it is to say, should this go that way it really was not hard to see coming

Exactly. I hope you're right, I think this would be one of the most fascinating storms in ages around here if the NAM/RGEM are right. But when I see them doing the same thing they did with two different s/w up here just in the last week I have to think they're potentially at it again. Meanwhile the GFS shifts west some, so a good compromise is in order hopefully in the form of the Euro.

I've got to ask you because you would be the one to explain it - is it possible the convective nature of precip off of NJ is in fact causing the NAM to spin up the uber vorticity? This seems to be what happened the other day and gradually as each run passed inside of about 24-30 hours it slowed the development of the vorticity bomb and things shifted just slighty each run east. It did this for sure the other day, are we certain that's not what's happening this time?

wow.. GFS does not want to budge..

But it did. The GFS is coming around to a better hit in time, more QPF etc. It just won't develop the black hole that the NAM/RGEM are east of NJ. It's either a feedback issue on the NAM/RGEM or insufficient resolution/factors Tip mentioned on the globals. It's that simple.

Garbage in, garbage out...

Kind of a ridiculous statement given performance of both models in the last week. I know you're excited but I believe the NAM works off the GFS first guess field for some data, so it isn't quite what you'd think.

GFS looks just nw of the BM and then bombs east of the elbow.

Yes, how does it compare to the euro?

Exactly. I hope you're right, I think this would be one of the most fascinating storms in ages around here if the NAM/RGEM are right. But when I see them doing the same thing they did with two different s/w up here just in the last week I have to think they're potentially at it again. Meanwhile the GFS shifts west some, so a good compromise is in order hopefully in the form of the Euro.

I've got to ask you because you would be the one to explain it - is it possible the convective nature of precip off of NJ is in fact causing the NAM to spin up the uber vorticity? This seems to be what happened the other day and gradually as each run passed inside of about 24-30 hours it slowed the development of the vorticity bomb and things shifted just slighty each run east. It did this for sure the other day, are we certain that's not what's happening this time?

But it did. The GFS is coming around to a better hit in time, more QPF etc. It just won't develop the black hole that the NAM/RGEM are east of NJ. It's either a feedback issue on the NAM/RGEM or insufficient resolution/factors Tip mentioned on the globals. It's that simple.

Kind of a ridiculous statement given performance of both models in the last week. I know you're excited but I believe the NAM works off the GFS first guess field for some data, so it isn't quite what you'd think.

MM5, NAM HRRR , high res time Mess. it is why they were developed

Just in from ALY:

FYI...THE 12Z NAM CAME IN TRACKING THE STORM SLIGHTLY EAST OF THE

OLDER RUNS...BUT ONLY ABOUT 25 MILES. HOWEVER...THE QPF IS STILL

ROBUST...HIGHER THAN WHAT OUR CURRENT FORECAST. WE WILL AWAIT TO SEE

WHAT THE 12Z GFS HAS TO OFFER...IT HAS PERSISTENTLY OFFERED LESS

QPF. THE 12Z ECMWF NOW SUPPORT THE HIGHER AMOUNTS OF THE NAM

(COMPARED TO YESTERDAY). NO CHANGES IN HEADLINES JUST YET.

STAY TUNED.

It's still east of the euro by maybe 30-40 miles or so. Big difference in sensible wx for your area.

Just in from ALY:

STAY TUNED.

I assume the meant the 0Z ECMWF..

Just in from ALY:

STAY TUNED.

Do they mean 12z Euro from yesterday?

:axe:

It's not excitement, it's everything vs. the eastern outlier that is the GFS that is not nearly as equipped to handle this as the NAM as Tip has beaten into us. This sounds like you wanting the GFS solution, actually. What do you find wrong with them in the last week? They've done a very good job, actually, as opposed to much of the season before.

MM5, NAM HRRR , high res time Mess. it is why they were developed

You may be right but I'm asking...why is the NAM and the RGEM spinning up so much vorticity right off the Jersey coast out of the blue? Ironically at the same time they're both driving insane UVVs. If that were the GFS we'd scream feedback. Again just asking from a weather standpoint, what's causing it and did anyone notice the vorticity spin-up on this run of the NAM was a few ticks slower than last time?

--

Crazy uncle ukie...goes with the GFS.

well it gives me .75 here in the manchester nh region although the 1 inch line just to my south so as of now any one know what my ratios will be 12 to 1? if so I guess I could expect 6-10" nam gives me 10-15 " ! hopefully 18z gfs comes around a little more so If I go middle of the road I would say 8-12 is a safe bet. I will take it and run!Snowman.gif

You may be right but I'm asking...why is the NAM and the RGEM spinning up so much vorticity right off the Jersey coast out of the blue? Ironically at the same time they're both driving insane UVVs. If that were the GFS we'd scream feedback. Again just asking from a weather standpoint, what's causing it and did anyone notice the vorticity spin-up on this run of the NAM was a few ticks slower than last time?

--

Crazy uncle ukie...goes with the GFS.

If we could see the 18 and 21 Ukie maps it might be closer than you think

Archived