12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cold this morning here. Horrible migraine to add. Feeling horrible. Must be a big one coming.

I think we do better then 6-12", or someone around us outperforms that. Our ratios should be pretty outstanding and we are in the prime band zone. However, we have already discussed that plenty. Big nowcast event for us.

P.S. My first official visit being taken this weekend. Orono, UMaine Black Bear Football.

Nice, I think we will do ok with this storm, It may even hold some surprises, Being that it going to be amped up that usually favors people that are further north and west, We shall see over the next 12 hours

Yep ride the euro. Not much time this morning haven't really looked at anything will check back in after lunch. Amazing dynamic processes on the NAM.

It's initially a little less robust, not tearing a hole in the atmosphere off NJ like it did earlier which makes it more believable in terms of outcome. But time to watch the rest.

I really think thats the way to go qpf wise as well, It seemed reasonable.....

Almost time for the GFS to hold serve. :lol:

Actually, it has to budge at this point in light of all other guidance. I say it moves the low to a position 20 Miles SE of Nantucket.

I don't think it holds serve. BUT the NAM did shove the vorticity east a smidge and was a step weaker/slower. It had no real effect at the surface yet but I "think" based on a very limited look this might be the tick east beginning to the other guidance. Listen for most it's pointless it's going to be what it is which is a widespread 6-12/8-16 with spot higher amounts. Where it matters is well NW and down here...so for most...who cares either way.

That might not be that far off in the end. SREF runs have pumped out between 0.7 and just shy of 1" for the past day and a half with most of the members in line, NAM just about the same, GEM and RGEM definitely trending back west, etc etc. I think even if we don't get the 1" of QPF (okay maybe that is a bit high), looks like we'll be getting some awesome snow-growth Wednesday afternoon. The map below is from last night's NAM run, but we've got 12-20 microbar/s vvs moving through the dendritic layer at 18Z and swinging through the Midcoast. I wasn't that excited about this thing two days ago, but things are definitely looking good for a respectable 8-12 inches IMHO.

post-4714-0-86078500-1294757391.gif

With good ratios, that's what I am expecting at this time. Still a chance for a little more, but am not pushing it. I'll be happy!

GFS will probably nudge west a little, I would think. It's pretty far east.

It's the GFS, it won't budge :axe:

To think I go "aw" when I read calls for "only" 15-20 here. I love it. What are the odds we would have a chance to beat the blizzard snowfall just over 2 weeks later? 1 in 100,000?

Don't want to hear about dry slot problems in my neck of the woods this time around.

Dude the dryslot is east of us and even with that we are in the goods on basically every model, west or east, who the heck cares if we jackpot, non issue really for anyone West of CC East of the Hudson. Anybody who moans in SNE should be b**ch slapped and put on a five day diet.

GFS will probably nudge west a little, I would think. It's pretty far east.

What did the euro do to me down here Scott? I'm puckering the cheeks right now.

I really think thats the way to go qpf wise as well, It seemed reasonable.....

Agreed. Only because it's been stable not because I think it's going to be 100% right which is normal....this will be a nowcast, dry slots, etc.

I think Scott is right the GFS is coming west. The NAM did shift the vorticity east but just barely. It's going to likely keep doing that but again it's an outlier so we shouldnt be surprised. What's the difference anyway, 6-12/8-16 versus 12-20...now it's just greedy.

I don't think it holds serve. BUT the NAM did shove the vorticity east a smidge and was a step weaker/slower. It had no real effect at the surface yet but I "think" based on a very limited look this might be the tick east beginning to the other guidance. Listen for most it's pointless it's going to be what it is which is a widespread 6-12/8-16 with spot higher amounts. Where it matters is well NW and down here...so for most...who cares either way.

Any tick east would be magnified for the Mainers..just as we've been worried about..since the low never really turns northward after ACK, but instead just drifts NE. Either way, I think we can still bet on a good thumping up this way.

NAM still my model of choice for good reasons ...covered multiple times, surrounding mesoscale feedback processes and discrete/finite thermal field analysis bearing on physics in coastal frontogen/PP/baroclinic axis. NAM superior convective handling in slantwise CSI related lift is also troubling more accurate to this meteorologist, as well.

BOS FRH data:

24075999830 43309 960536 35009796

30094986713 -2008 853631 29009792

First bolded field sums to almost 1.7" liq equiv and there is more coming, but this interval achieves all that in 12 hours. At 13:1 ratio outside of I-95 that's 21" and counting in just 12 hours.. pushing extremeness undertstood. This can be done folks. This systme has some unique dynamical concerns as outlined, again ... I cannot emphasize enough that the NAM is superior in handling these types of finite scale physics.

2nd bolded column is wind: 36 kts at 900mb level is a sinch to sink down in heavier precipitation columns and dynamic mixing. That's your 6-hourly mean middle BL flow and there is your frequent gusts to 35mph at the surface.

This is a blizzard folks, period.

With good ratios, that's what I am expecting at this time. Still a chance for a little more, but am not pushing it. I'll be happy!

Yeah, one thing I have noticed, and my profs have talked about this a few times, are the screaming low level winds. While we're getting great snow-growth at say 700 to 750mb, those strong winds shatter the delicate dendrites and that tends to lower snow ratios. Still, the vertical velocities and temps through the cloud layers would still support an average of about 11-13:1 throughout the storm.

What did the euro do to me down here Scott? I'm puckering the cheeks right now.

Agreed. Only because it's been stable not because I think it's going to be 100% right which is normal....this will be a nowcast, dry slots, etc.

I think Scott is right the GFS is coming west. The NAM did shift the vorticity east but just barely. It's going to likely keep doing that but again it's an outlier so we shouldnt be surprised. What's the difference anyway, 6-12/8-16 versus 12-20...now it's just greedy.

It tracked it very close to ACK. It gave you over an inch of qpf, but half of that could be rain.

I'm not expecting the GFS to cave to the NAM if that's what you're asking. :lol: I figure it might shift slightly west to come in line with Doc. Seems a safe assumption.

I'm waiting for it to not phase at all, and shove the low over, say 40N, 65W. haha joking.

Hopefully, we like what we see this time around.

Yeah, one thing I have noticed, and my profs have talked about this a few times, are the screaming low level winds. While we're getting great snow-growth at say 700 to 750mb, those strong winds shatter the delicate dendrites and that tends to lower snow ratios. Still, the vertical velocities and temps through the cloud layers would still support an average of about 11-13:1 throughout the storm.

I've seen great dendrites in 60mph winds. While they can break up in stronger winds, I don't really think that happens all that often. Where it does hurt, is how the wind can compact the snow at the surface.

I'm waiting for it to not phase at all, and shove the low over, say 40N, 65W. haha joking.

Hopefully, we like what we see this time around.

I like the fact that is trys for a later phase, Would help here if it pops over our area, Buts its a moot point if it stays east anyways........

Archived