joxey
The day has come, January 11-12 Snowstorm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<br /><br />

<br />

I'd be more worried if the GFS weren't alone, and the NAM, Euro, RGEM, etc. weren't all hammering us.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Well the NAM is sort of on it's own on the amped side though. It has like .5 additional QPF for basically - well - everyone!

I'd be more worried if the GFS weren't alone, and the NAM, Euro, RGEM, etc. weren't all hammering us.

Well if you want to believe the Nam scores thats fine and hopefully it does, But if does not and those qpf amounts are pretty ridiculous, I would just be cautious and keep expectation in check because it looks the only way this can go is down from here........

If I seriously were to get over 12'' with this storm I'd be screwed in the sense that I have zero place to put the snow, the two main sidewalks have bushes on the side of them then the street on the other. Same thing with my driveway, bushes on both sides. I seriously hope the landlord brings over the snowblower again or otherwise I may end up in the hospital, the blizzard event really did a number on my back, after not experiencing much back pain for the past two months shoveling that must have screwed it up again...or even more.

Not really. There's the NAM track to the west, the GFS track to the east and a nice gray area in the middle where the track likely is ... both would lose.

Yeah, GFS is predicting Six inches, Nam 30. When 18 inches fall they will both be off by 12. I don't like the SREF moving a tad east though. Bothers me. I mean I hope the nam verifies but it too good to be true.

Well if you want to believe the Nam scores thats fine and hopefully it does, But if does not and those qpf amounts are pretty ridiculous, I would just be cautious and keep expectation in check because it looks the only way this can go is down from here........

Agree. I guess my point is, a blend gives us a lot of wiggle room here in Boston - i.e. that if the GFS is more right than we think, we are still hit pretty hard. If the NAM is too amped up, there are others that offer a compromise beating.

If I seriously were to get over 12'' with this storm I'd be screwed in the sense that I have zero place to put the snow, the two main sidewalks have bushes on the side of them then the street on the other. Same thing with my driveway, bushes on both sides. I seriously hope the landlord brings over the snowblower again or otherwise I may end up in the hospital, the blizzard event really did a number on my back, after not experiencing much back pain for the past two months shoveling that must have screwed it up again...or even more.

Snow placement is going to be a huge problem in western CT. State DOT was out wing plowing the grass on the sides of the highways yesterday to make room. Plus my town has been stacking the snow with a payloader in many areas...awesome stuff

Agree. I guess my point is, a blend gives us a lot of wiggle room here in Boston - i.e. that if the GFS is more right than we think, we are still hit pretty hard. If the NAM is too amped up, there are others that offer a compromise beating.

I think a track between the 2 is prob what will verify, Euro was in between those 2 and some of the other globals......

The speed of the storm will also keep accumulations in check. The heaviest of the snow looks to occur in a 6-8 hour window centered on tomorrow morning's commute, with some lighter stuff a few hours on either side. A 12 or 15-hour storm will have trouble dropping a widespread 20+.

22 yrs old --- cmon - even Jerry gets out there and shovels like a man. This is a great problem to have and a good bit of enjoyable exercise. I love shoving a massive >10" snow storm.

Is it not odd that the NAM and GFS are making no attempt to converge? I mean - we are basically at D1 here. One of them is going to lose - bad.

Yup, that is what is helping me maintain a healthy and cautious optimism about what to expect out here.

MoneyPit and I are going to start our own "Circle of Cautious Trust".

:lol:

WOW the NAM is even more robust over CT. There's honestly 4 to 5 in/hr rates there with plenty of thunder. Probably with the same frequency as a strong summer storm!

I dont believe Ive ever seen 4 to 5 inch an hour snowfall rates. Its possible it snowed that hard in the 78 storm but not for very long.

<br /><br />

Not really. There's the NAM track to the west, the GFS track to the east and a nice gray area in the middle where the track likely is ... both would lose.<br />

Sure. But you would think that, at this point, the both would have started to nudge into the grey. If anything, the NAM has gone more crazy. And it's not just the track - the NAM seems to be finding more juice.

bottom line is...even if CT doesn't get the 18-28" advertised by the NAM...snowfall rates are gonna be absolutely insane for a few hour period overnight! The Dec 19 2009 storm was crazy at my place...probably the most intense snow rate / duration combo I've experienced. We had 3"/hr rates for a good 3-4 hours period. Whereever that band sets up...it could surpass that intensity easily. Somebody will see visibilities near zero for a period. Snowman.gif

Archived