• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

Should be tucked in closer if its stronger at H5 i would think.....

Normally yes but the 5h is in the process of jumping to the vorticity....so if that's further NE that's where the 5h will end up and that's where everything else ends up too in this depiction. Part of that is driven by the strength of the vorticity and in this run it came in a smidge weaker so it's weaker through the layers, a it all happens a smidge NE.

Not saying this is right but this is going to be the game, the vorticity max coming off the coast will drive the entire kaboose just like it did the other day with the big difference being this one is much wetter and further north to begin with, and that it's not on an E or ENE track, it's coming NE.

The big challenge will be in that intricate timing.

Ride the Euro.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALY is livening up their AFD's the last couple of days.

SO...AS THE NORTHERN STREAM CATCHES UP WITH THE SOUTHERN

STREAM...BAROCLINICITY...CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY AND UPPER DYNAMICS

WILL RESULT IN A SOLID SNOWSTORM. AREAS FROM POU TO NW CT TO

AROUND PSF AND BRATTLEBORO VT COULD SEE A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW

BEFORE ENDING LATE WEDNESDAY OR WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WHEN THE BIG FIST

OF A LOW LEVEL JET PUNCHES INTO YOUR REGION...SOMEPLACE IN THE

FORECAST AREA WILL TAKE A BIG HIT...AND AGAIN AT THIS TIME...IT

LOOKS LIKE POU TO NW CT TO PSF TO PARTS OF SOUTHEASTERN VT...AND

POINTS EAST.

Yeah this could be nice for the east slopes for those reasons. Don't fret.

Meanwhile I bet you would be pleased with anything over 8" for Noho.

:snowman:

Where do I sign for my 8"?

Actually I will confess, looking at the NAM VV maps, and hearing Feb '01 bandied about, I am tempted to hold out for more.

On second thought, give me my 8" and send the leftovers to the poor souls in NNE along with warm wishes.

Finally, skiing imminent!! :snowman:

Just took a closer look at the GFS. Looks like the mid level low is *deeper* but not as tight. Like I said before, looks like the trough is a little broader. So we end up with more speed shear related to the jet, than we do directional shear related with the low.

Again...going to be a great storm. Unlike many, I actually enjoy the time it is snowing better than the chase. If I get 9 inches and Ray gets 20, fine. If I get 3 inches of slop and Ray gets 15, I'll be pizzed off.

these things usually make me giddy and excited, but this one is turning out to be a big pain in the ass.

I hope my wife remembers how to use a shovel, it's been a looooong time. :arrowhead:

Just took a closer look at the GFS. Looks like the mid level low is *deeper* but not as tight. Like I said before, looks like the trough is a little broader. So we end up with more speed shear related to the jet, than we do directional shear related with the low.

The 18z GFS OP did something very similar yesterday and dumped it at 0z FWIW.

The 18z GEFS

18zgfsensemblep12048.gif

GFS ens mean really beefed up

18zgfsensemblep72072.gif

I'm also starting to think that as this goes to town, we may see the big ccb closer to the low center. It's also timing well for our area (general sne area) for rapid cyclogenesis and heavy precipitation development. That's what we would probably expect with such quick deepening. Take a look at the 15z eta on psu ewall. It shows this as well.

At this point, the only two questions left in my mind are: 1) Where does the Coastal Front setup- ie Cape Cod Canal, Rt 24 corridor, or I-95? and 2) Where does the CCB/ deformation band setup? I should have a good idea tomorrow late afternoon about where the CF will be, it usually sets up 12 hours before the event even begins. The CCB is still a wild card. If the rapid intensification happens off the Jersey Shore, NYC/ SW Ct will cash in, if it happens south of Montauk, eastern CT, RI and Eastern 1/2 Mass will cash in. The ENE movement after intensification takes place looks valid.

Archived