joxey
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bustin into the PINKS! :)

lol at the discontinuity between BOX and OKX from RI into southern CT

I'm surprised at where Taunton puts the jackpot. I would bump things up over NE MA, and trim back in southern RI, and a little less in ORH Co

Your first brew is on me in BWI next summer. :lol:

I just wish the cf would make it a but further in than I think it will, but 0 complaints.

Ok....so it seems the NW portion of the dry slot zone is often the best place to be, then.

It honestly depends on the exact setup of each storm....no two storms are exactly alike and there isn't exactly a set rule we can use to say where the jackpot is every storm. In the blizzard of 1996, New Bedford, MA (and other southeast areas) drslotted....it almost made it to me. They got 27" while I got 15"....so the "rule" didn't work out so well that time. Parts of E MA actually briefly dryslotted or came close (precip started to break up a bit) in 12/9/05 but then got 14-16" jackpot amounts anyway as the ccb from hell destroyed them. I know your BY didn't dryslot but areas to your south that still had high amounts flirted with it.

A lot of it depends on the orientation of the CCB....if it starts out more ENE to WSW and then tilts over time to almost NNE to SSW...then areas who eventually get dryslotted could still be in the max as they are piling it up rapidly for hours before it reaches areas NW of them....only to kiss them for a couple hours and then collapse back SE. Its something we'll have to monitor as we get closer. On the whole though, the mid-level tracks don't get much better for a good portion of SNE as stands right now.

Exactly..this is precisely how you get those mega amts. You don't want it to stall out.

You'd never expect that much ..but every single one of us here..including the mets knows there will be some 25-30 inch amts in a few lucky zones. Noone knows where..but we all know those big numbers will occur

Here is my call on where that will end up:

Jackpot around the Norwood area....20"+......secondary, larger and relatively unexpected one in N ORH CO, SW NH....that is where you will see your 30" c*mshot.....Jaffrey, Princeton....shutout to Cpick's wawa fetish.

Guys - At least for MBY -

This will be HISTORIC if I can pull 15" out of this. The reason being:

2 15" Snowstorms within 1 month of each other -

1. The Incredible December of 1945 had 2.

2. December and January of the 1947-1948 Winter had 2.

3. The UnREAL February of 1969 had 2 (20"+ too)

4. January and February of 1978 of course had 2 (20"+ of course)

Very Close Call on January and February of 1994 and February of 2003.

But THAT is all. Some Huge company there.

It honestly depends on the exact setup of each storm....no two storms are exactly alike and there isn't exactly a set rule we can use to say where the jackpot is every storm. In the blizzard of 1996, New Bedford, MA (and other southeast areas) drslotted....it almost made it to me. They got 27" while I got 15"....so the "rule" didn't work out so well that time. Parts of E MA actually briefly dryslotted or came close (precip started to break up a bit) in 12/9/05 but then got 14-16" jackpot amounts anyway as the ccb from hell destroyed them. I know your BY didn't dryslot but areas to your south that still had high amounts flirted with it.

A lot of it depends on the orientation of the CCB....if it starts out more ENE to WSW and then tilts over time to almost NNE to SSW...then areas who eventually get dryslotted could still be in the max as they are piling it up rapidly for hours before it reaches areas NW of them....only to kiss them for a couple hours and then collapse back SE. Its something we'll have to monitor as we get closer. On the whole though, the mid-level tracks don't get much better for a good portion of SNE as stands right now.

Will, thank you; this answers my questions about as extensively and thoroughly as possible.....exactly what I was looking for.

Here is my call on where that will end up:

Jackpot around the Norwood area....20"+......secondary, larger and relatively unexpected one in N ORH CO, SW NH....that is where you will see your 30" c*mshot.....Jaffrey, Princeton....shutout to Cpick's wawa fetish.

First call...for our backyards?

FMBY...what you say (+2) :lol: j/k

Yeah that's true as well. Overall people shouldn't rip and read qpf because it may unnecessarily excite them or disappoint. It's good to see some that are looking beyond qpf and trying to understand the inner working of these systems. There is also things like OES and low level frontogenesis that can throw qpf off. I do think that sometimes snowfall is underdone in areas that get into the good mid level frontogenesis.

Exactly..this is precisely how you get those mega amts. You don't want it to stall out.

You'd never expect that much ..but every single one of us here..including the mets knows there will be some 25-30 inch amts in a few lucky zones. Noone knows where..but we all know those big numbers will occur

seems a bit low assuming we use the MPM Kev conversion ratio.

Archived