12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS and EURO and respective ensembles do not agree with the NAM..at least yet. Take solace in that. Also Newport is in a better spot than the cape as far as any changeover is concerned.. at least with this storm

You'd be surprised about the southern tip of Newport's little micro-climate. Yes, we're farther west than you and this should make a difference. But...Newport's on an island in the middle of Narragansett Bay comprised of Newport and two smaller towns. Last storm..the 26th....south Newport only had 6 inches and we changed to rain while the upper part of the island stayed all snow and hovered at 33-34 while I hit 36...while ALL the towns to the north, west, and even east had 10-11 inches.

I was living there from 88 - 93. And while I remember some good snows, you may be right. It may have been 1 or 2 per year, and the one or two big ones that happened over the course of 5 years stick out the most.

The biggest storm of this era was Veterans Day 1987. Not sure if you were there for that one. Feburary, or I believe Janiary 1988 had back to back snowstorms the sam week that dumped over a foot combined and March 1993 dumped about 8-9 inches on Bristol but in the years you lived there I don't remember there being a 10 inch plus event.

I think they run it down to 4km? The NAM is 12km and Euro 16km?? I may be wrong with this..someone else can chime in.

They run it down to 4km, but only out to 36 in that mode I think. Either that or it takes so long to integrate that the new runs are coming in before it has a chance to finish...

There always seems to exist a disconnect between the QPF distribution and the mid level depictions, in the sense that the QPF jackpot is always within the nw part of the mid level dry slot's progression.

18z NAM isa perfect example of this phenomenon in that it bullseyes mby, however a gander at the mid level plots reveals that I eventually become enveloped in the dry slot, thus it seems that that bullseye is displaced about ~40 miles to the se of where it should be.

Thoughts??

EXCELLANT DENDRITIC GROWTH IN AN ENVIRONMENT OF STRONG LIFT...20

MICROBARS PER SECOND OR ROUGHLY 70 MB PER HOUR...OVER CT-RI-

SOUTHEAST MASS. TEMPS ON THE OUTER CAPE AND NANTUCKET LOOK

MARGINAL FOR SNOW ACCUMULATION. QPF/TEMPS/LIFT SUPPORT SNOW ACCUMS

OF 10 TO 16 INCHES ACROSS THE REGION WITH HEAVIEST AMOUNTS IN CT-

RI AND ADJACENT MASS. HEAVIEST SNOW SHOULD BE LATE TUESDAY NIGHT

THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON WEDNESDAY.

There always seems to exist a disconnect between the QPF distribution and the mid level depictions, in the sense that the QPF jackpot is always within the nw part of the mid level dry slot's progression.

18z NAM isa perfect example of this phenomenon in that it bullseyes mby, however a gander at the mid level plots reveals that I eventually become enveloped in the dry slot, thus it seems that that bullseye is displaced about ~40 miles to the se of where it should be.

Thoughts??

The bullseye is often just NW of the dryslot because that area stays in the heavy snow the longest.....as the band pivots back to the east. Each storm is different but that is a common occurrence. You can of course get secondary maxes from banding further NW and such.

There always seems to exist a disconnect between the QPF distribution and the mid level depictions, in the sense that the QPF jackpot is always within the nw part of the mid levels dry slot's progression.

18z NAM is perfect example of this phenomenon in that it bullseyes mby, however the a gander at the mid level plots reveals that I eventually become enveloped in the dry slot, this it seems that that bullseye is displaced about ~40 miles to the se of where it should be.

Thoughts??

The qpf is 6 hour increments, the 700mb rh is time ending that hour. So you can have a dry slot over Wilmington and 1" of qpf for 0z Thu NAM, for ex, if the precip fell in less than 6 hours, between 18z and 22z

If the euro is right we do great here same as gfs. Nam was the worst model verifying in the past week so it's for fun only until supported.

i think the nam has support from Meso models

and i think most mets are not waving off the nam like you may be doing. this thing may want to demolish NYC. i.e tuck in 70 M south of central Long island. i.e east of toms river.

LOL...this is when you grab your balls and weenie..really your whole package and just smash people across the face with it

Your package wasn't packing a very strong punch on saturday night when you forecast 4-8/5-10 for the Cape/South Coast while most areas only had 1-3...except for a couple spot 5 inch marks which Messenger had to drive all over the Cape to find.

The bullseye is often just NW of the dryslot because that area stays in the heavy snow the longest.....as the band pivots back to the east. Each storm is different but that is a common occurrence. You can of course get secondary maxes from banding further NW and such.

That is my point.....it bulleyes me, but I make it into the dry slot; models do that consistently.

The jackpot should be over N ORH co and SW NH on that run, not mby.

Your package wasn't packing a very strong punch on saturday night when you forecast 4-8/5-10 for the Cape/South Coast while most areas only had 1-3...except for a couple spot 5 inch marks which Messenger had to drive all over the Cape to find.

How come you're not calling out all the mets who called for that..or BOX who had WSW up for that area? My other zones in SNE were on point

I find it amusing that we have most models starting to lock in a widespread 10"-15" snow event and people are concerned about somehow getting "screwed".

:snowman:

THE MAIN REMAINING UNCERTAINTY IS THE DEGREE OF MIXING OR CHANGE

TO RAIN OVER PARTS OF THE CAPE AND ISLANDS.

NANTUCKET IS NOT IN THE CURRENT WINTER STORM WATCH BUT WILL HAVE

THE STRONG WINDS. A HIGH WIND WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE ISLAND.

:arrowhead:

Archived