joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that alot of this does not effect most down in SNE but each run we seem to be losing the ENE scoot up this way and are getting more of a NNE track and thats whats bringings us back into the better qpf up here.......

Hopefully keeps trending this way..... we need every flake we can get

For areas like MBY, S VT and S ME.. I would honestly rather see the NAM come back east a little bit..like Scott said earlier, there is going to be a monster deformation band with this and per the 18z Nam that would be located in central Vermont and NH.. I could see places like laconia an rutland cash in 15-18 on the 18z Nam and s NH and ME get 10-12.. just the nature of the band

Yup... not good.. east of 12z... Looks like this is a battle of the meso's vs the long range models. I'd expect a solution in between the NAM and GFS. What a hard forecast for places in W and C NE. The good thing is that we have ALL of the meso's on our side including the Euro. I'll take that any day. Hopefully its just a fluke run of the GFS

:huh:

It's actually it being stronger that's a smidge of the problem. Holds the vorticity longer, by the time it gets further north it's also further east as the entire thing begins to jump. Carbon copy of what happened at the very end the other day IMO but like I said pointless to talk about it, just one of those things to look at tonight at 0z.

No changes.

6-12 everywhere west of HYA, all the way through all 3 of our SNE states, 8-16 loli between you weathafella and ktan etc etc

lol...if that's the case the model is completely off it's rocker. This solution should not lead to a more OTS track.

I know that alot of this does not effect most down in SNE but each run we seem to be losing the ENE scoot up this way and are getting more of a NNE track and thats whats bringings us back into the better qpf up here.......

It still can. It's not like the ensembles or even the OP EC/ENS are infallable. I'm not going to get back into it re the other event and model performance but it busted for a reason and it wasn't because forecasters misread the models....it's because the majority of models botched the transfer.

Here's the GFS same time period. It's a subtle change out under us, it holds back the max vorticity just a smidge and it's a little weaker initially so it's able to get a little further NE before it does the wrap up. It's a subtle different off the coast of NJ and south of LI. Doesn't mean it's right, it's going to change a bunch more times but it goes to show how a very small timing difference between 33-39 hours has major effects. No different than what the NAM did in rolling NW some.

When people say the m/l is "stronger" sure it is a little. But the vorticity is weaker that spins up the low and it takes it 3-4 hours longer to get organized. Again not saying it's right just saying it's not off the rocker. We just went through this and everyone said the models were wrong right up until the thunderstorms fired 300 miles east of the cape under the new center.

Absolutely no sense really going into detail until a change sticks on a run for a few or transfers to the euro etc. Just interesting discussion...actually it's no longer even interesting.

ALY is livening up their AFD's the last couple of days.

SO...AS THE NORTHERN STREAM CATCHES UP WITH THE SOUTHERN

STREAM...BAROCLINICITY...CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY AND UPPER DYNAMICS

WILL RESULT IN A SOLID SNOWSTORM. AREAS FROM POU TO NW CT TO

AROUND PSF AND BRATTLEBORO VT COULD SEE A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW

BEFORE ENDING LATE WEDNESDAY OR WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WHEN THE BIG FIST

OF A LOW LEVEL JET PUNCHES INTO YOUR REGION...SOMEPLACE IN THE

FORECAST AREA WILL TAKE A BIG HIT...AND AGAIN AT THIS TIME...IT

LOOKS LIKE POU TO NW CT TO PSF TO PARTS OF SOUTHEASTERN VT...AND

POINTS EAST.

Archived