Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Storm Potential - Jan 11-12 II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS going to keep us on our toes.

Yup... not good.. east of 12z... Looks like this is a battle of the meso's vs the long range models. I'd expect a solution in between the NAM and GFS. What a hard forecast for places in W and C NE. The good thing is that we have ALL of the meso's on our side including the Euro. I'll take that any day. Hopefully its just a fluke run of the GFS

You know the NAM was fun when that ends up being a buzz kill!

LOL, you'll do fine I think.

The NAM might be the western outlier, but it may be on to something. We have a pretty dynamic system here. So perhaps we see something maybe just west of the euro track? It's possible. 00z tonight should probably nail down the uncertainty.

NAM and GFS low positions are 100 miles apart (different) at 42 hours...18z GEFS is hopefully reassuring

Boston from what I saw the 18z/6z gfs verify ok...not as good as the 0z/12z but not bad. I don't think we can really worry about minor shifts at 42 hours. let's see what the 0z brings, the 18z was very reassuring IMO.

Nothing is off the table from a track like the NAM to even another decent bump east like we saw inside of 24 hours the other day. We can slice it however we want but in the end it's still a center jump east and those have been problematic for models TO THIS POINT this season. Until proven otherwise come Thursday I see no reason to think that suddenly they're going to nail it this time 2 days out.

Yup... not good.. east of 12z... Looks like this is a battle of the meso's vs the long range models. I'd expect a solution in between the NAM and GFS. What a hard forecast for places in W and C NE. The good thing is that we have ALL of the meso's on our side including the Euro. I'll take that any day. Hopefully its just a fluke run of the GFS

Ya think?

18 GFS is more amped up at 500mb but the surface low is further east of 12z? Makes no sense.

yes 500 trending stronger makes me smile.

my guess would be the LP will go further west at 0z.

.....would like to say split the euro/nam but just because that sounds good doesn't mean it won't be nam verbatim.

more ridging out ahead of ULL.....meso models MSLP placement FTW On this one?

GFS relaxes QPF for western sections a bit...does make sense as the run starts out more amped, but ends up further east somehow.......can anyone sort this out?

Yes. 18Z should be a guidance for trends and we have opposite signals. However 15Z SREFs didn't change much. Wait till 0Z.

GFS relaxes QPF for western sections a bit...does make sense as the run starts out more amped, but ends up further east somehow.......can anyone sort this out?

The track of the low is not further east. QPF is lower on the west side because the low is more progressive, and we get less wrap around moisture Wednesday afternoon

Yeah I mentioned that. I would not think east.

below

Its better then 12z up here.....

Actually I would "buy" it if this turned out to be correct. It's getting pointless though because models are not locking onto (at least the US/CAN) a solution in terms of the transfer of energy east. EDIT: It's maybe a 2-3 hour delay with the max vorticity but it's enough to play with the final outcome.

I'm too lazy to do a graphic up right now and I think I'm out of storage but it's a sublte shift with the vorticity...it trails by a few hours this time so everything gets further east in the jump before it happens.

Like I said, no sense really analyzing it we know where the sticking point will be and it's going to change 3 or 4 more times between now and 18z run tomorrow....IMO

A pseduo screw zone appeared on the op this time.

LOL, you'll do fine I think.

The NAM might be the western outlier, but it may be on to something. We have a pretty dynamic system here. So perhaps we see something maybe just west of the euro track? It's possible. 00z tonight should probably nail down the uncertainty.

I know.....I was just chuckling at the comparison.

I'm going to ignore this run. lol

H5 trended stronger, yet the low is more progressive.....riiiight.

It's actually it being stronger that's a smidge of the problem. Holds the vorticity longer, by the time it gets further north it's also further east as the entire thing begins to jump. Carbon copy of what happened at the very end the other day IMO but like I said pointless to talk about it, just one of those things to look at tonight at 0z.

No changes.

6-12 everywhere west of HYA, all the way through all 3 of our SNE states, 8-16 loli between you weathafella and ktan etc etc

Archived