• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

I feel the same way that we are out of it , but there is a trend that seems to take place every storm.

Plus if we become the new North Pole afterwords, I rather it be dry have you ever tried to shovel 4 inches of solid ICE, that's what snow would become in a day or 2 afterwords.

If the predictions of a displaced arctic high comes true, things would be on lock down for a week or two.

I hope your right, But for some reason I don't think this will ! If it was just one model doing it then I would say it's out to lunch, But most all major models just don't bring here been a down hill slide for awhile now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still looks like a decent event here if you believe the snow maps...most of Cleveland and Gaston counties get close to half a foot of snow.

never go by those maps. The qpf before the snow gives way to sleet or ZR is probably at most 2" here, and usually to be honest snow goes over to sleet and ZR a little earlier than I always think in those situations where its going to be a close call, and usually in these setups , the snow ends as ZR. We do keep getting light precip after the changeover, probably more from that than the front end actually, but after we've used to good lift on the first "half" of thise event, the next round would be zr becuase of not so good lift in the snow layer. I hope this run is off.

never go by those maps. The qpf before the snow gives way to sleet or ZR is probably at most 2" here, and usually to be honest snow goes over to sleet and ZR a little earlier than I always think in those situations where its going to be a close call, and usually in these setups , the snow ends as ZR. We do keep getting light precip after the changeover, probably more from that than the front end actually, but after we've used to good lift on the first "half" of thise event, the next round would be zr becuase of not so good lift in the snow layer. I hope this run is off.

You know, I really do think this run is off considering how good the SREF run was.

just saw the (what i assume is their) RPM from fox (yeah its ken cook but i looked at the loop of the run and barely listened to him...he came on during half time of the lsu game) and its showing a good 5-6" across most of n ga with some periods of heavy snow moving from around atl and basically following 85 into the upstate!

how did the NAM do in this range versus the GFS with the Christmas storm?

you'd think i could remember a few weeks ago and a white christmas storm lol. from what i recall, the storm was pretty much lost at this point out, and didnt start reappearing really until christmas eve

Wow, an area of 1.25" south and west of ATL ? I wonder if that could be mostly snow ? If the ratios are good, I'm guessing that would be over a foot ?

would depend how far south and how far west. south of atl there could be issues with IP or ZR which would cut down on the snow amounts. but put some on top of snow and its a mess!

edited to add: just realized that by hour 84 on the nam, most of n ga is near 1" (at least thats what it looks like on twister) and a decent amount in sw and s nc through the upstate (near charlotte)

appears to be a pretty sharp cut off though as you get into middle nc (that sucks, i want us ALL to get in on the action)

You know, I really do think this run is off considering how good the SREF run was.

it very well could be. The SREF was further north, but again it too had the warmer air approaching us about hour 66 or if I recall, whereas places just to our west get all their precip or most, while its still cold enough to snow. Really strange, but I do remember a couple big snows in Atlanta that never made it here, one actually was rain here but don't remember the year. Not saying that will happen , but lets hope the GFS and ensembles are better looking here, or we'll end up with a little snow and a good bit of freezing drizzle Monday.

If you look at the sim reflectivity the QPF really looks strange. Clearly banding features shown by the NAM hr 66 through 78. Would be heavier snow and more QPF than the NAM is actaully showing if banding truly does develop. Not sure where the disconnect is coming from.

it very well could be. The SREF was further north, but again it too had the warmer air approaching us about hour 66 or if I recall, whereas places just to our west get all their precip or most, while its still cold enough to snow. Really strange, but I do remember a couple big snows in Atlanta that never made it here, one actually was rain here but don't remember the year. Not saying that will happen , but lets hope the GFS and ensembles are better looking here, or we'll end up with a little snow and a good bit of freezing drizzle Monday.

There was a time in the 80's where they were calling for a foot here and it snowed all day in Atlanta and never did snow here, not a flake.

how did the NAM do in this range versus the GFS with the Christmas storm?

Like everyone will tell you, it was a different setup, but the NAM never fully got it right, it was always slightly more south and east than the GFS was and the GFS ended up being right. But it could be right this time, the 18z GFS could have been a fluke run, we will see in about 30 mins.

18z GFS ensembles look pretty good for us here in WNC

I demand Cold Rain start the next thread.

I think Dawson should continue on w/ the next thread also, this is Al/Ga/SC storm. In the 6 years I've been on these weather boards there have been many times where I got snow and those south of me did not. I think it's our turn to watch everyone south of us enjoy there storm!

If you look at the sim reflectivity the QPF really looks strange. Clearly banding features shown by the NAM hr 66 through 78. Would be heavier snow and more QPF than the NAM is actaully showing if banding truly does develop. Not sure where the disconnect is coming from.

Would there really be that kind of banding on a weakening low? I thought the deformation bands only happened in really strong, cranking low pressures that cause nor'easters.

Would there really be that kind of banding on a weakening low? I thought the deformation bands only happened in really strong, cranking low pressures that cause nor'easters.

Thats a good point it did look a little odd. But this is a complex setup with the elongated trough and weakening lead wave. A met would probably know more about this.

Thats a good point it did look a little odd. But this is a complex setup with the elongated trough and weakening lead wave. A met would probably know more about this.

Every situation is unique so I guess anything is possible. I doubt you'll find a Met on a Fri night. Most are out with their supermodel dates.

What i'm trying to figure out is why everybody is getting so hooked up on the 84hr NAM? :arrowhead: Ummm....it's the 84hr NAM guys. Looking at the thing past hr48 is pretty much useless.

People weren't saying that last night Snowman.gif

I've already expressed my thoughts about the 00z nam tonight, and why its likely off. It would be nice to see the gfs hold serve and not come in significant drier for NC though whistle.gif

The 18 UTC GFS is still putting down a decent snow event for NC

FWIW, that graphic does not appear to accurately reflect snowfall in NE TN - not even close. If the GFS extapolated snow graphics had been correct, NE TN would have 3-5 inches today. I have one. I just don't think the models have this right - yet. Let me stress that is a lower elevation observation.

I demand Cold Rain start the next thread.

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is the GA, SC storm here. I think they should continue to on. They deserve a good hit.

On another note, I'd really like to know how every model for the past 3 days starts the s/w out stronger but then it ends up weaker. That doesn't make sense to me!

Archived