12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at how far the s/w moved between 42 and 48 hours -- from then on, it was just flat (in more ways than one).

I think the culprit may be back on hrs 24-30. There's a strong vort ahead of the trough (over C TX at 30hrs) that keeps the main s/w from wrapping up better.

Folks, in NC a system this size does not just disappear ! The models are not catching on in the later time frames. Every run or the past 2 days the moisture over TX has expanded and lots more QPF.

Tomorrow afternoon runs will be the ones I'm waiting for to see if a north and west trend start! It may not trend north and west but that has been the trend so far this year.

Oh but they do. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen.

This run looked further south with everything, slightly. LIke Wow said, rotten for most of NC. Major snow for Atlanta and Birmingham and just north of those areas, but tapers quickly.

Agreed. With the Christmas storm(though a different set-up), didn't the NAM do the same thing? What is its bias at this point?

Folks, in NC a system this size does not just disappear ! The models are not catching on in the later time frames. Every run or the past 2 days the moisture over TX has expanded and lots more QPF.

Tomorrow afternoon runs will be the ones I'm waiting for to see if a north and west trend start! It may not trend north and west but that has been the trend so far this year.

I hope your right, But for some reason I don't think this will ! If it was just one model doing it then I would say it's out to lunch, But most all major models just don't bring here been a down hill slide for awhile now.

Good point. We need those rates to be heavy in the set up the NAM is painting.

Glad it is Friday night...Few more model runs...

The upper levels warm around midday MOnday in southern NC near the SC border so if we don't get our snow by then, (and it is precipitating lightly then), we won't get much snow , on this run. Definitely not a good run for NC, but very good for SC and points west/southwest, with a big snowfall in Atlanta and northern Ga to Alabama.

I think FFC has a good handle on the forecast for GA snow amounts. Of course the models are showing potential for more than they are saying but their 5-7 amounts with locally more I think are good for now.

Yeah, if the GFS/Euro/GGEM show 6"+ like the NAM for much of N GA I could see them bumping totals up a tad, maybe to 5-7 for the metro. 3-5 is a conservative yet justifiable call at this point for ATL.

0z NAM is still a fantastic run for GA. But we get another shift with another run. 18z NAM shift north and juicier on QPF while 0z pulled the heaviest back south just a bit. But still plasters the entire metro area and all areas north of Newnan/Lagrange with 6+" inches or snow. The bulk of precip looks like snow.

30 hour event for n ga? looks like about hour 51 - 81!

I think FFC has a good handle on the forecast for GA snow amounts. Of course the models are showing potential for more than they are saying but their 5-7 amounts with locally more I think are good for now.

i would certainly agree....and thats 48 hours out. in the se forecasting more than that this far out (or even closer lol) is 'asking' for a bust. it just doesnt happen that often

Yeah, if the GFS/Euro/GGEM show 6"+ like the NAM for much of N GA I could see them bumping totals up a tad, maybe to 5-7 for the metro. 3-5 is a conservative yet justifiable call at this point for ATL.

Totally agree. We are looking very good on this...you maybe more so than me for amounts.:thumbsup:

This run looked further south with everything, slightly. LIke Wow said, rotten for most of NC. Major snow for Atlanta and Birmingham and just north of those areas, but tapers quickly.

Again I don't really see a physical reason for the nam to be less amplified than what we saw with the 18z run... the 500mb low that is producing all the cold air in the first place moves out faster, and the initial s/w starts out stronger in this run. We should have seen a more amplified solution, but for whatever reason its more dampened out.

Pretty amazing! NAM still gives you and me 6+" despite the shift south with the heaviest QPF.

its very amazing, and i am waiting for the debbie downer shoe to drop lol. looking this good, this long, this far out is sort of scaring me. i would glady take 6"+ and let those atl-ath get more and i wont be complaining at all! fortunatelyi could care less to be in the bullseye as long as i am getting a good snowstorm. and so far it looks great!! (not that i wouldnt like to be in the bullseye)

i just wanted to be sure i was seeing it correctly. thats a darn long time for frozen precip around these parts. thinking maybe i will try and turn in early tonight as i doubt i will be getting much sleep the closer we get, barring anything horrible happening. or stay up for the gfs?

during the last couple (or even many) years, i dont think anything has lasted anywhere nearly as long as is showing on the models right now

edited to add: the map strongwxnc posted below shows the next level of heavier qpf VERY close to both of our areas

Archived