• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

Yeah the extent of this storm is pretty amazing, not often are nearly entire states put under WSWs. A bit of advice when it comes to graphics, make sure not to post really big images from some of the model sites (the image you posted is fine obviously). And welcome!

Especially not states in the deep south !! I don't ever recall FFC putting their entire CWA under a WSW. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Advisories are issued by Tallahassee's office for areas in southwest Georgia.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the extent of this storm is pretty amazing, not often are nearly entire states put under WSWs. A bit of advice when it comes to graphics, make sure not to post really big images from some of the model sites (the image you posted is fine obviously). And welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I have Photoshop, so hopefully I can keep their size manageable.

Bring on the snow! Bah humbug for the ice!

Im just the messenger, so dont shoot me. Before the model runs tonight, The GFS has another killer storm by weeks end next week. Big time HP and heavy 1.25+ qpf. Lights out ice/ with snow on top This isnt the first model or first run Ive noticed this. So more big time fun and games are on the way.

I'm still strongly convinced MBY sees atleast a half foot plus Monday. If you do get some sleet on top of several inches of snow, let me tell you its the best sleding conditions you'll ever get. Had that last January. Plus it will secure your snowpack longer over the following days.

Once again... the 18z ensembles are wetter than the OP run.... its a pretty good bet that you can expect further trends northward.

It looks like the 21z SREF may have inched north with the probability of .50" or greater. Overall with the .10" and all contours they trended a little north, esp. in Tennessee it lookslike.

It looks like the 21z SREF may have inched north with the probability of .50" or greater. Overall with the .10" and all contours they trended a little north, esp. in Tennessee it lookslike.

and now the 00z nam at 6 hours is already significantly stronger with the southern stream s/w... in fact its deeper than the 06z nam run was at this time!

0z NAM's initialized FWIW. Let's see if we can keep the good trend going from here.

Btw, has anyone ever heard of a weather model called the CIMSS? I was never aware of its existence. Came across it last night.

There is a model called CRAS from CIMMS in U. Wisconsin. Is that it? It uses satellite data for most of its input. Output variables includes radiance, ie. the output looks just like an IR or WV satellite image.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/index.html

CIMMS Regional Assimilation System

Can anyone smarter than me, explain why so much dry air is apparently going to move into Central/Eastern NC and limit QPF? Obviously, I'm familiar with dryslotting, but this seems completely different.

Its just the arctic air in place plus the dying shortwave doesn't allow for the moisture to transfer like it would if the SW was not dying out.. go to www.twisterdata.com and click on your location and see the sounding data with a TON of dry air in place.

Archived