• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Jan 9-10 Storm Part 2

MotoWeatherman

I love what the NAM was showing in the overall setup. I really feel like Matt and Brandon that this thing is going to come down to almost a nowcast situation. For the folks on the wrong side of that cutoff....boy what a heartbreaker.

That's beginning to look like us here in the triangle, though this would not be bad as sounding are showing freezing rain, which I want no part of. In 05 went 9 days without power.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

based on what i have seen i am not that excited for our chances in the more central and eastern areas of nc. what the models seem to all agree on is there will be a storm, it will blow up in the gulf and then it will weaken as it moves north and west. its possible that it maeks it up this way but any model you look at its making its way up here as a weakening system, not one that is strengthening. that worries me for moisture as well as temps and the models show both these fears. maybe the next few runs will change but given what i see i just don't have high hopes for my area. i do hope it slams the guys in GA though. hope to be reading plenty of obs posts with you guys going crazy!

Im pretty optimistic and strongly believe Our county will see 3-7 min out of this by Monday night. I am in the camp that models are underestimating qpf and the temp issue is a non factor. Would be nice to get the qpf reved up, and as I stated last night by Saturday 12z Sunday 0z suite youll see a suprising consensus rebounding toward more qpf as time goes on.

Im pretty optimistic and strongly believe Our county will see 3-7 min out of this by Monday night. I am in the camp that models are underestimating qpf and the temp issue is a non factor. Would be nice to get the qpf reved up, and as I stated last night by Saturday 12z Sunday 0z suite youll see a suprising consensus rebounding toward more qpf as time goes on.

I realize this is probably an anecdotal comment, but it’s not that moisture is being underdone by the models imo, but it’s that other low (you can see it on the NAM) that will be west of the apps and will affect not only temps, but .qpf. in NC

hopefully you are right. i used to have those feelings too but in this area they just never seem to pan out. i think we will be lucky to see much more than some drizzle and maybe a dusting. we shall see. not wanting to be pessimistic, i honked on this threat to my friends for the last week or so but its not trending the way i would like to see. models are modes and they are not the weather so i hope they (and myself) bust!

I'm still on board although a bit more concerned than yesterday at this time.

I agree, I am somewhat concerned but it just seems to imagine the qpf diminish so fast from upstate SC by the time it gets to central NC and watch it move at a snails pace as shown on the 18z Nam. Not saying it can't die off that fast like modeled but usually the precip from the upstate translates this way mostly intact.

We will see I guess.

Sorry to barge in during a model run, but how do you mets think the dry air we're dealing with will affect precip totals? I know last Feb we lost a lot of precip to dry air, it seems like this time around we'll be even drier. Quick thoughts to sooth this weenie's mind?

Apart from that, this really looks like the "perfect storm" for N GA/AL/SC. We have solid model agreement less than 3 days out that is pointing toward a historic storm for the I-20 corridor and decent snow well north of it as well. Amazing!

Sorry to barge in during a model run, but how do you mets think the dry air we're dealing with will affect precip totals? I know last Feb we lost a lot of precip to dry air, it seems like this time around we'll be even drier. Quick thoughts to sooth this weenie's mind?

Apart from that, this really looks like the "perfect storm" for N GA/AL/SC. We have solid model agreement less than 3 days out that is pointing toward a historic storm for the I-20 corridor and decent snow well north of it as well. Amazing!

It sounds WAY too good to be true doesn't it ? I'm just not used to being in a situation where everyone is so confident we're going to get snow. This is new territory. I have to keep reminding myself that its 2 days away and things can change.

Dry air/virga is already factored into the models.

I've noticed the models have an ever strenthening vort and strong southerly flow when its around eastern Tx to La/Ark border. If it trends stronger there may be a cutoff temporarily, any way the moisture is further north through 60 hours Even .75" aroudn Athens by then. With very cold aloft. Strong southeast flow at 850 aimed at northern GA....Major snowstorm there with tremendous lift under the 5H as well.

I've noticed the models have an ever strenthening vort and strong southerly flow when its around eastern Tx to La/Ark border. If it trends stronger there may be a cutoff temporarily, any way the moisture is further north through 60 hours Even .75" aroudn Athens by then. With very cold aloft. Strong southeast flow at 850 aimed at northern GA....Major snowstorm there with tremendous lift under the 5H as well.

You know up to this point, it really hasn't suck in this is going to happen but I'm getting more excited by the hour with what I see.

The 74 crew and 85 guys will like this. Gives .75" to 1.25", depending on where you are around the Upstate and lower piedmont and foothills of NC, and pounds northern third of GA. But, the 850's also warm at the end , so the mix would come in for the Upstate and ne GA and probably southern NC if this run is right on temps. The surface temps are going to be well down there however.

Archived