• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

Good morning fella snowbirds...we ended up with 6.5 inches here along the escarpment. I have been out cleaning the patio, I'm suprised at how dry the snow is and how easy it is to shovel off. The clouds have thinned enough to where the sun is trying to appear.

Next concern for me is late today and through the night as the GFS has 60 kt winds aloft over the region. High Wind Warnings have been issued even for us...with the weighted down limbs and lines, that could prove to be an issue tonight.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31 °F

Depth: 6”

Light Snow

Wind: ~5 NNE

Windchill: 28°F

Barometer: 1006.8mb

Humidity: 94%

Wet Bulb: 30.3

This has been a long, winding road to get to where we are. Recalling all the highs and lows(emotional kind) we all went through since last Monday, waiting for the big show to kickoff. Worth it? Oh yea, baby! guitar.gif

Now, if only my boss will call and tell me I do not have to come in and work the holiday desk tomorrow and Tuesday lmaosmiley.gif

Snow flurries just started here on the southside of Savannah at 10:55 AM! This is the first snow I've actually witnessed here since 1986 because I was in Atlanta during the others!

:snowman: boy just about everywhere in the se is getting in on the snow action this weekend

Still light snow. Temps have gone up to 34 and some meltage (lol) is happening. (not much though) I'd better go out and make a Snowman.gif before frostymelt.gif happens. Oh and the wind is kicking up.

I've been really surprised at how warm it's been over parts of the upstate. Clemson has been above freezing the entire time. (currently 34). I'm not sure if that sensor is off a little or not but anderson was above freezing all night for the most part. Indeed, they are up to 33. So I guess it's right. The surface trough has hurt the temps there it would assume. Pretty amazing though considering how cold the boundary layer is right above the surface and the cold mid level temps.

Meanwhile the temp here has remained steady at 29.

Did ATL have an official white Christmas?

I don't know if there is a certain hour of the day that snow has to be on the ground for it to count. However, this is the heaviest official ATL snow on record on 12/25 per the AJC with 1.2". According to the article, the last time there may have been a white Christmas was in 1882, when 0.3" fell.

I don't know if there is a certain hour of the day that snow has to be on the ground for it to count. However, this is the heaviest official snow on record on 12/25 per the AJC with 1.2". The last time there may have been a white Christmas was in 1882, when 0.3" fell.

i dont know if there is an 'official' time but i am pretty sure a lot us would certainly consider it a white christmas, even if we didnt wake up to it on the ground

Actually have had peeks of sunshine 2 times today, does not last long. Total for storm 6 inches with an occasional lurry. Would not mind seeing more but it looks like it is pretty much over here.

It is pretty amazing that there have been 2 nice snows here in the last two weeks for a total of 10 inches.:snowman::thumbsup:

i dont know if there is an 'official' time but i am pretty sure a lot us would certainly consider it a white christmas, even if we didnt wake up to it on the ground

No doubt about it, it was a white Christmas for all practical purposes and I hope this one counts for "official" purposes.

By the way, congrats to you and lookout! Your region has been renamed the "jackpot zone". Screw zone is now ancient history Wow!!

Flurries continue here in SAV often blowing sideways in the strong winds.

Around 1:30 this morning I was feeling a little disappointed watching radar fizzle to my west with just a trace on the ground here in Matthews, NC. But you could see it starting to pivot with heavier returns to my S/SE. Sometime after 2:00 it really started coming down! :thumbsup:

Got around 3/4" I think (haven't measured) and still snowing lightly. :snowman: This was certainly a fun one to track - quite a ride!!

Man tons of problems in Birmingham with the snow bands there. Numerous accidents tons of icing and interstates with people out there cars in groups. Looking at radar these bands should slowly inch on in over west GA over the next few hours. Also notice the Convective nature they are starting to take on. could see another inch or two from these if you get under a intense band. Would not be suprised to see FFC to extend WWA farther over entire area again later if the bands keep developing later.

Regional Radar:

Regional Radar

NE Bama Radar:

NE BAMA RADAR

Birmingham Radar:

BIrmingham Radar

Atlanta Radar:

Atlanta Radar

Still snowing here in NE Raleigh, but it is about to end. Measuring between 7.5 and 8 at my house and that is probably where we will end up. The ift assocaited with the echoes over Ga/SC will lift NE and we could see some flurries or as the NWS mentioned even a little freezing drizzle this afternoon into the early evening hours.

Still snowing here in NE Raleigh, but it is about to end. Measuring between 7.5 and 8 at my house and that is probably where we will end up. The ift assocaited with the echoes over Ga/SC will lift NE and we could see some flurries or as the NWS mentioned even a little freezing drizzle this afternoon into the early evening hours.

Well, I'm fine with that, as long as we don't see sunshine! :sun:

Great job with the forecast, by the way.

Oh man. I wish I had the energy to dig out and get a country ham biscuit and a sweet tea.

exactly what I got. Good!

6 inches even in Southern Pines! This officially beats my entire season last year.

finally, no more fail zones.

this has been an incredible stretch of winter weather around here. u got back a little over a year, to the dec 19, 2009 storm and hickory's had close to 3 feet of snow... :snowing:

I need to add up mine, but I know its barely 1 foot. Huge difference in such a short distance.

I've been really surprised at how warm it's been over parts of the upstate. Clemson has been above freezing the entire time. (currently 34). I'm not sure if that sensor is off a little or not but anderson was above freezing all night for the most part. Indeed, they are up to 33. So I guess it's right. The surface trough has hurt the temps there it would assume. Pretty amazing though considering how cold the boundary layer is right above the surface and the cold mid level temps.

Meanwhile the temp here has remained steady at 29.

The upstate to my area had a hard time with surface temps since the cold and low dewpoints never got established on this side of the mountains and against the lee, because of the setup. I really didn't look at that too much ahead of time, but now it makes sense. It also happened around the arctic outbreak 2 weeks ago or when you guys got snow and eastern TN /WNC got hit hard, the lee trough was here 2 full days, and it took the bulk of the first day to get cold at the surface. It actually caused mesoscale snow to form near me and head due north to Hickory.

Went to bed last night after radar cleared and snow stopped with a touch over 2". Got up at 7am and it was snowing as bout as hard as it ever did. Blew me away! Measured 3.5" on deck railing before it stopped the heavy stuff, now flurries and melting :thumbsdown:

Ended up a total success though!:thumbsup:

Glad to see you finally got some.

No doubt about it, it was a white Christmas for all practical purposes and I hope this one counts for "official" purposes.

By the way, congrats to you and lookout! Your region has been renamed the "jackpot zone". Screw zone is now ancient history Wow!!

Flurries continue here in SAV often blowing sideways in the strong winds.

:thumbsup: for some reason we are back in a more normal pattern i hope! the only thing mby is 'bad' for are upslope events due to downsloping. however, i usually do well with that little extra elevation in most other events when the temps are really close. this is esp true a lot when the precip starts (it never did rain here) or when its dropping and starts to stick here before lower elevations.

lookout has hit the jackpot the last few years! its about time. now we need to get oconeewx and the upstate peeps (and foothills/eyewall although they did well this time) in the action

this morning was pure bonus snow as far as i am concerned :guitar:

exactly what I got. Good!

finally, no more fail zones.

I need to add up mine, but I know its barely 1 foot. Huge difference in such a short distance.

The upstate to my area had a hard time with surface temps since the cold and low dewpoints never got established on this side of the mountains and against the lee, because of the setup. I really didn't look at that too much ahead of time, but now it makes sense. It also happened around the arctic outbreak 2 weeks ago or when you guys got snow and eastern TN /WNC got hit hard, the lee trough was here 2 full days, and it took the bulk of the first day to get cold at the surface. It actually caused mesoscale snow to form near me and head due north to Hickory.

Glad to see you finally got some.

Have to say, you have had some major issues with sleet/boundary layer temps over the last year. We really need a good cold air damming setup, so we can finally not have to worry about sfc temps! It's hard to believe it's been probably 5 years since we had a true CAD setup.

It sure has been. This is the 3rd major snow in a year here. Unbelievable considering how rare snow has been here for so many years. From those, I have picked about 19 inches or so since last year. But if you count the snow that melted during the storm last year as it fell because of all the rain before hand, and the one in march, .it's been well over 20 inches..maybe close to 2 feet. Not bad for one of the worst snow screw zones in the eastern us. :snowman:

I know I'm going to pay for it...I'll probably never see snow again in my lifetime here :lol:

Let's ride this train till it goes off the tracks lol

My hat is off to you, sir! I didn't think you could pull it off, assuring me I'd see snow against climo. But you have massive mojo...your magic is supreme! Tony

Thank you sir! :) I had a really good feeling about this from the very beginning. The right ingredients were definitely there from the beginning with this one, starting with a very nice HP in a great position. The rest of the pieces fell into place fairly nicely. I'm glad we all got a good snow, and for some folks, a White Christmas. I was hoping to see some snow before midnight last night, but I didn't. So my quest for a white Christmas continues.... :scooter:

Archived