• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

10am report from Chapel Hill: Light snow. Temp 31.9. Accumulation 5.5".

I went out and swept the snow from our walkway and while out I observed mid level clouds racing from the east northeast with a broken but mainly intect upperdeck with even some blue sky poking through. It was still snowing though the whole time. :arrowhead: Roads are covered here in several inches.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some snow has started falling in GA, in the Savannah area. Reports of snow have come in for two hours in Register, GA, no accumulation, Guyton, Statesboro, Ft. Stewart, and other places.

Here is WTOC's report 40 min ago:

An upper level low is swinging through the region and will spread a band of snow showers over a large portion of our area, mainly north of the Altamaha River. In areas south of I-16, little accumulation, but north of I-16 & into southern South Carolina, 1-2 inches is possible along grassy areas. Roads will most likely stay wet but some bridges could ice over during the times of heavier burst of snow.

Getting really bright outside here in RDU-looks like the sun will be busting out anytime now. =(

It got lighter here in Chapel Hill with some filtered but brighter sun about 45min ago. It even warmed the dark patio stone enough to melt the dusting that had accumulated since I swept. But its still snowing lightly.

i remember the discussion here late last night, and checking out the ruc, but i will admit i was surprised to see such an expansive area of moderate snow adding a couple of inches to the storm total (thats why this board is so great :thumbsup:)

its not as heavy ( :( ) as it was, but its still snowing :snowman:

it seems like this has sort of happened before after a big storm moved through, but i dont remember one that was as strong as this one

To the models credit, they hinted at this for a number of runs. I'm thinking they hinted at it for at least 2 days. It was barely noticable on the precip maps, with all of them dropping only a few hundredths. I just went walking a little bit ago and I measured 5 inches in a few spots. These areas are the ones that didn't melt last night.

About the camera, I thought i had it in my drawer where I normally keep it but it's not there. I didn't bother thinking about using it last night since it was dark. I think my brother has it and I'm more than a little irritated.

Anywho, check out this impressive snow band east of macon that's been virtually stationary for hours. I'm at the northern end of it but on the lighter side. I bet whoever is under that has done really well.

JGX_loop.gif

this has been an incredible stretch of winter weather around here. u got back a little over a year, to the dec 19, 2009 storm and hickory's had close to 3 feet of snow... :snowing:

Maybe we can squeeze another storm out before temps end up moderating through Winter of 2010/2011. I pretty much doubt it though.

this has been an incredible stretch of winter weather around here. u got back a little over a year, to the dec 19, 2009 storm and hickory's had close to 3 feet of snow... :snowing:

it sure has, which is fantastic. IIRC probably approaching, or even exceeding, about 24" +/- here since last december

To the models credit, they hinted at this for a number of runs. I'm thinking they hinted at it for at least 2 days. It was barely noticable on the precip maps, with all of them dropping only a few hundredths. I just went walking a little bit ago and I measured 5 inches in a few spots. These areas are the ones that didn't melt last night.

About the camera, I thought i had it in my drawer where I normally keep it but it's not there. I didn't bother thinking about using it last night since it was dark. I think my brother has it and I'm more than a little irritated.

Anywho, check out this impressive snow band east of macon that's been virtually stationary for hours. I'm at the northern end of it but on the lighter side. I bet whoever is under that has done really well.

measured 6" in a few spots here - what an amazing storm, and 'after storm' for a lot of us. and you are right, i bet that band has put down some decent snow there this morning :snowman:

edited to add: i had noticed it on the models as well, but honestly just didnt think (or couldnt tell) that it would really amount to much

It sure has been. This is the 3rd major snow in a year here. Unbelievable considering how rare snow has been here for so many years. From those, I have picked about 19 inches or so since last year. But if you count the snow that melted during the storm last year as it fell because of all the rain before hand, and the one in march, .it's been well over 20 inches..maybe close to 2 feet. Not bad for one of the worst snow screw zones in the eastern us. :snowman:

I know I'm going to pay for it...I'll probably never see snow again in my lifetime here :lol:

It sure has been. This is the 3rd major snow in a year here. Unbelievable considering how rare snow has been here for so many years. From those, I have picked about 19 inches or so since last year. But if you count the snow that melted during the storm last year as it fell because of all the rain before hand, and the one in march, .it's been well over 20 inches..maybe close to 2 feet. Not bad for one of the worst snow screw zones in the eastern us. :snowman:

I know I'm going to pay for it...I'll probably never see snow again in my lifetime here :lol:

our 70s/80s style winters have returned (well at least one and one-third winters). in addition to the nickel and dime events, we have had long lasting smaller events, plus a couple of pretty darn big ones (and heartbreaking close calls)

for those talking 24 hours of snow (sorry i cant remember who) that verified! started in earnest here about 1030 yesterday morning, and its on its last legs, but still snowing, at 1050 :thumbsup:

it sure has, which is fantastic. IIRC probably approaching, or even exceeding, about 24" +/- here since last december

measured 6" in a few spots here - what an amazing storm, and 'after storm' for a lot of us. and you are right, i bet that band has put down some decent snow there this morning :snowman:

edited to add: i had noticed it on the models as well, but honestly just didnt think (or couldnt tell) that it would really amount to much

Agreed, terrific storm..it started snowing around 7 last night and other than an hour or two late last night, it's been snowing nonstop since. Anytime you get more than 12 hours of snow in the southeast, you know you are doing great .

Like hky said, we have had an amazing year for snow. Think about all those little events you had last year that I didn't and this one, and you have to have over 2 feet altogether. You even had that ice event last year. All that is really missing is a major icestorm. It's hard to believe given how cold we have been since last year and with all these systems, that we have gone through this entire period without a major icestorm. I know most don't like them but I hope we get one before the winter is over.

10:50 15 miles NW of Columbia, SC (Irmo)

Moderate/Heavy Snow currently, about 2" on the grassy surfaces, 3" on the cars and deck, nothing on the pavement.

Headed back home to Myrtle this afternoon, hopefully some of this upper level energy and the leftovers back in SE GA will pivot up the coast. relatives said only a dusting down there and drizzle/flurries

Archived