Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it was careful blowing about of snow from trees or what, but the road is now completely covered again, as is my car hood, windshield and top. It looks like we actually got a round of light snow last night. Can anyone verify if that happened?

I've noticed a lot of snow blowing off the trees here onto the road, as well. It made for some slippery spots yesterday/today that surprised a lot of people.

BTW, here is a nice map of snowfall accumulations in Alabama from this event:

image_full3.gif

GAWx, North Carolina has done an outstanding job of snow removal this month. Here in Winston-Salem, snow plows came through residential areas early this morning. The roads were scraped bare. Very few roads are treacherous now, although one should always watch out for occasional ice patches. The interstates and major thoroughfares are in excellent condition.

I think the NCDOT got a lot of practice from last year's 20" year and have improved this year. They did do a great job, although there are still some icy patches at night that you have to look out for, but there's not much they can do about that.

Likewise, businesses and citizens did and outstanding, cooperative job of cleaning sidewalks and parking lots. In my neighborhood, people were up and abuzz even while snow was still falling to shovel out themselves and their neighbors. Businesses yesterday had crews working everywhere to clear sidewalks and parking lots. It looks like the state is shedding some of its shutdown mentality during snowstorms.

I think the NCDOT got a lot of practice from last year's 20" year and have improved this year. They did do a great job, although there are still some icy patches at night that you have to look out for, but there's not much they can do about that.

I was surprised at how well they did here in Southern Pines as well. After last year's screw jobs and not much to speak of for a few years before that I thought they forgot how to handle it. Props to them though!

• 5 months later...

Archived