• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

That particular area of precip should advect south of the triangle and dissipate.

Really just a chance of some flurries after lunch as the upper level trough axis approaches, which I think is represented by the precip west of Greensboro. Too much dry air to do much I think. At best a few snow showers, but unlikely.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow flurries just started here on the southside of Savannah at 10:55 AM! This is the first snow I've actually witnessed here since 1986 because I was in Atlanta during the others!

Congrats Larry!!

I did not realize you lived in Savannah! For whatever reason I thought you were in Atlanta. I guess because the climo stat's you post are always in reference to Atlanta. We spend a lot of time in Beaufort and make it down to Savannah frequently. I bet they are going nuts down there!! Crazy weather for sure. Enjoy the cold and the SNOW!!

That particular area of precip should advect south of the triangle and dissipate.

Really just a chance of some flurries after lunch as the upper level trough axis approaches, which I think is represented by the precip west of Greensboro. Too much dry air to do much I think. At best a few snow showers, but unlikely.

Well, shucks. Thanks for the response, though. My official measurements yield around 8".

Congrats Larry!!

I did not realize you lived in Savannah! For whatever reason I thought you were in Atlanta. I guess because the climo stat's you post are always in reference to Atlanta. We spend a lot of time in Beaufort and make it down to Savannah frequently. I bet they are going nuts down there!! Crazy weather for sure. Enjoy the cold and the SNOW!!

Thanks and congrats on your big snow! I still live in Atlanta. However, I frequently visit Savannah, since I'm able to work here, to see family and childhood friends being that I was born here.

Tiny flakes now have gone up to small size here at 11:20 AM and getting larger. I should mention that it was drizzling before changing to snow.

Can someone comment on whether or not we think the stuff in SC/GA is going to eventually rotate up through the Triangle, or will it either head east or dissipate? Thanks!

Based on RUC data, this area will lift NE through the coastal plain between noon and 6pm. Mainly for areas along and east of 95. The RUC 700mb RH panels and accumm QPF show this area coming through later, before exiting stage NE around 7pm.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/ruc/hr4/index_700_m_loop.shtml

5" is the official measurement for mby

However, I found some 5 1/2 to 6" spots in the pasture a few mins ago.

Got some pics I plan to post later

What a killer snow!!

I agree. This has been the best storm I've ever followed, even though it's not the most snow I've ever had. Even so, it's been a lot of fun, and I will say hands down this is the prettiest snowfall I've ever seen. It has stuck to everything. The landscape is so beautiful.

I thought you guys had that at 10:30 last night? when I went to bed at 10:30, I had 1" and the radar was just starting to look good (after all those holes kept opening for the longest time) Now I'm right at 4" on the ground. Still snowing hard.

We seemed to only gain only an inch or two overnight. We never got into any really heavy snow bands the entire event. Kinda dissapointed but at least it qualifies as a white christmas. My search for my foot of snow continues. 1988 is too long of a wait.

Archived