12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's snowing even though the radar doesn't show it. We will get some sort of accumulation.

Is it actually sticking now?

Flurries still have not resumed here in SAV, but I'm eagerly following that band to the WNW of us that sort of originated back in lookoutland.in NE GA.

Scattered snow showers :lol: It's been non stop snow here since 4:30am. I know I don't represent the majority but it's been Easily winter storm warning criteria here. Them labeling it as showers/flurries here is absurd though.

You can see the band I'm in..it's been nearly stationary all day and it's actually intensified some here. Huge flakes right now.

csg_None_anim.gif

Lookout or Foothills....do you notice the dry area over Greenville and Pickens county on the radar echos above. That has been going on all morning a really to some extent yesterday. In your opinion what causes this? Is it the trajectory coming over the mountains? Just curiuos. thanks. Lookout sounds like you made out pretty well. Congradulations!!

Same thing here. Watching the radar returns Alabama is getting the lions share of these snow showers. The roads here in the sunshine are clear and dry, the wind is helping with that I think.

The snow shower we woke up to this morning laid another inch down before it was all said and done. I took measurements in different areas and I have right at 3". :guitar:

After playing with the kids in the snow, I came to the conclusion that this was a GREAT storm. Many props to Robert and Allan!!! and the rest of you guys, including you Lookout. :snowman:

My kids are absolutely stoked!

Congrats on the snow. We've all been pretty lucky this last year or so haven't we?

Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I've spent an ungodly amount of time on this board and looking at models this week lol. Needless to say, I haven't gotten much work done. Between constantly hitting refresh on the radar, rushing to see every model run, and spending so much time moderating, I will enjoy the slow period after this. It sure is nice that we had a good payoff for spending so much time watching and studying this. It would have really sucked to have followed it for days only to end up with flurries or a dusting :arrowhead:

Light to moderate snow continues here. It has lightened up some and indeed, gsp radar is showing my band is starting to weaken and move south :( I will miss it so much lol

I do wonder though if the snow will continue even after radar shows it's gone. There is plenty of moisture in the low levels and it's very cold and will continue to drop, combine that with any vorticity lobes or disturbances moving through it seems there is the potential for low topped showers. But if it's starting to end, I'm more than happy. There is roughly 5 inches in the protected spots but 3 to 4 depending on where you look elsewhere. Despite that prolonged period of moderate to heavy snow, I only gained a little since it was melting so fast from underneath. I promise you if it wasn't for melting underneath it would easily be 6 or more. I sure with the ground temps were colder.

SN starting to pick back up here, not that it stopped, but had a lull from around noon - two pm where it was very light accum rates. 1-1.5" hr rates currently, with vis around 3/4 mile. Already have just under 8" on the board (7.8"), and a couple spots in the yard with drifts over a foot. Most areas I measured in the grass were around 9-10" :snowman:

I guess I've got one of the lower totals from this storm. Didn't bother measuring but its somewhere around three inches or so. Instead of spending time measuring and checking radars while wishing for more, I dragged my old butt outside with my wife and two grown daughters who are home for the holidays and we went sledding, built a snowman and had an awesome three against one snowball fight. Good times.

Lookout or Foothills....do you notice the dry area over Greenville and Pickens county on the radar echos above. That has been going on all morning a really to some extent yesterday. In your opinion what causes this? Is it the trajectory coming over the mountains? Just curiuos. thanks. Lookout sounds like you made out pretty well. Congradulations!!

I think intellicast shows base reflectivity on that radar and gsp, like all sites, are programmed to eliminate ground clutter on their base image and that can make it look like less precip around the radar site. If you look at the composite though, you can see what's actually falling around the radar site.

The first is the composite, the second is base..notice the lack of returns around the radar site on the base image.

GSP_0.png

GSP_0.png

High clouds, 31 and getting windy blowing snow from off the roof into the air. Still looking ahead to this evening when the winds really pick up. If they get close to the predicted values, there will be plenty of blowing snow and wind chills well into the single digits by morning.

I always chuckle when southerners call snowplow, scrapers and scraping instead of plowing the road. I was guilty of the same thing when I moved from SC to NH in 2000-2003. people looked at me like I was from

another planet when I mentioned scraping the road

That's because many southern areas use road graders to scrape the road instead of snowplows to plow it.

Blaster, where outside of Nashville are you? I am off Bend of the River Rd, 2 miles west of 58.

I'm on the other side of Nashville. Kinda between Red Oak and Castalia on Taylor's Store Rd. My stepdaughter and hubby just built a house on Bend of the River Rd about 1/2 off of of 58. I am 4 miles off of 58 north.

It is STILL snowing pretty good in a W/E band just south of Raleigh. Folks in Harnett Co. are doing quite well. If it would just translate about 10 miles to the north, it would be directly over my house in SE Wake Co. We're still getting very light snow here because we're so close to the main band. There looks to be just a slight amount of back building North, so I might get lucky.

GSP Update

NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...IT IS INTERESTING THAT RADAR RETURNS OVER EAST TENN/FAR WESTERN NC

HAVE TAKEN ON AN ALMOST CELLULAR APPEARANCE...INDICATIVE OF THE LOW

STATIC STABILITY IN THE ATMOSPHERE AND CHARACTERISTIC OF SOME OF OUR

HIGHER END NW FLOW SNOW EVENTS. OTHERWISE...THE RADAR REPRESENTATION

IS RATHER UNREMARKABLE. THIS ACTUALLY ISN/T ALL THAT SURPRISING

SINCE THE FLOW DOES NOT REALLY TAKE ON A STRONG ORTHOGONAL COMPONENT

UNTIL UNTIL LATER THIS EVENING. BY LATE THIS EVENING...ALL THE

NECESSARY INGREDIENTS FOR A HEAVY NORTHWEST FLOW SNOW EVENT WILL BE

IN PLACE...STRONG FLOW...RELATIVELY DEEP MOISTURE...VERY COLD TEMPS

IN THE MOIST LAYER...AND A STRONG GREAT LAKES CONNECTION. THESE

INGREDIENTS WILL GRADUALLY LESSEN TOMORROW (MAINLY OWING TO

DIMINISHING MOISTURE)...AND POPS DROP OFF TO CHANCE BY THE END OF

THE DAY. WE WILL CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE HEALTHY ACCUMS TONIGHT

THROUGH TOMORROW ALONG THE TENN BORDER (6 TO 10 INCHES OVERNIGHT IN

THE HIGH ELEVATIONS...ANYWHERE FROM 1 TO 6 IN THE VALLEYS).

LIGHT ACCUMS WILL ALSO REMAIN POSSIBLE IN THE ZONES BORDERING THE

WARNING AREA...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGH ELEVATIONS...AND IN THE

VALLEYS OF FAR NORTHERN BUNCOMBE COUNTY. THE WW ADVISORY WILL BE

ALLOWED TO CONTINUE THERE. IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW...WIND CHILL

VALUES OF MINUS 5 OR LESS WILL BE COMMON ACROSS THE MTNS LATE

TONIGHT...MAINLY ABOVE 3500 FEET. INSTEAD OF ISSUING AN ADVISORY...

WE WILL WRAP WIND CHILL WORDING INTO SNOW PRODUCTS.

THERE ARE ALSO NEAR-TERM WIND CONCERNS. THE NAM CONTINUES ITS

TYPICAL BUSINESS OF DEPICTING VERY STRONG H8 WINDS ALONG THE BLUE

RIDGE FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH TOMORROW. THESE EVENTS SOMETIMES PAN

OUT...BUT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT DON/T. ONE POTENTIAL POSITIVE FACTOR

FOR A HIGH WIND EVENT IS THAT THERE IS A STRONG MOUNTAIN WAVE SIGNAL

TONIGHT AND TOMORROW IN MODEL GUIDANCE...AS THE NAM AND GFS DEPICT A

STRONG AND DEEP NEGATIVE/POSITIVE UVV COUPLET CENTERED ALONG THE

ESCARPMENT. ADDITIONALLY...WITH TREES WEIGHTED DOWN BY SNOW AND

ICE...THEY MAY BE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO BREAK/FALL...SO THE IMPACTS OF

A HIGH WIND EVENT MAY OCCUR...EVEN IF THE SPEEDS DON/T QUITE MEET

CRITERIA. WIND AND/OR LAKE WIND ADVISORIES WILL BE ISSUED FOR AREAS

ADJACENT TO THE CURRENT HIGH WIND WARNING.

Looking like it is winding down here. 14 inches looks to be the total if we don't see that stuff come through from the south and west. Power still out, so my assumptions about what is to come is coming from my weather app on my phone. This has been one memorable storm!

I lost power for 3 hours this morning. It is getting breezie and I hear limbs popping so power may go again. But it is pretty.

post-3024-0-43735900-1293394828.jpg

That's because many southern areas use road graders to scrape the road instead of snowplows to plow it.

here it wasn't plowing, but actual scraping. Sparks flying and asphalt chunking up out of the road. I've seen my road done this way during 2 snows now (plowing black top) The roads are in terrible shape because of this here.

Archived