12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Observations for the Christmas Storm II

Isopycnic

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at reports and outside, Chapel Hill appears to have really gotten screwed. I don't think we got more than 3" here and most reports from Chapel Hill are 3" or so.

I only got around three inches too. :thumbsup: Isn't that great? :arrowhead: For some reason areas to the north, south, east, and west of the upstate got more snow than we did. This seems to be happening a lot more now the last few years. We can get more rain than anybody in the Spring but come Winter and this area turns into a donut hole. :thumbsdown:

This is what I got off GSP website: (this is the whole event total)

I feel lucky with my 4". Upstate to immediate southern /sw piedmont of NC got the low end. If you watch the 36 hour radar loop, you can see what happens to the precip entering said region. Plus we dealt with low rates when we did turn over, after that terrible warm bubble collapsed.

clt.gif

no complaints from me on this storm.

Measured right at 4" when all was said and done (about 4:00 p.m.) in Stanly County.

Great storm but an exhausting one to follow for the last 9 days or so :)

I wouldn't mind the warm up for a bit, and then hopefully in a couple weeks Mother Nature will throw another round at us.

Enjoy your new year all!

Mark try this out, and make a (now 42 hour) loop, it has the better resolution and cuts out noise. I watched it a few hours ago just to see what happened after I went to bed at 10:30, and saw that it ended quickly after , and then around 5 or 6 this morning, the 2nd band developed over our area, and thats what gave me 3" . If not for that band, I would have had the 1" I had last night.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?radar_us+/2h/

This is what I got off GSP website: (this is the whole event total)

GSP 1.9"

CLT 1.9"

AVL 9.5"

I feel lucky with my 4". Upstate to immediate southern /sw piedmont of NC got the low end. If you watch the 36 hour radar loop, you can see what happens to the precip entering said region. Plus we dealt with low rates when we did turn over, after that terrible warm bubble collapsed.

I most def had 3 inches at least.....then again my measurements were just a tape measure out in random spots....most of them were around 4 inches.

Currently have 4.5 inches here. Temperature is at 22.7 F. We've had light to moderate snow nearly non-stop since sunrise yesterday. Upslope snows are usually good for us in Greeneville. The mountains have to be getting clobbered with the upslope.

Congrats to all in the South who received snow! Through the ups and downs of model runs, this has been a fantastic storm to follow and then watch develop. Major thanks to all the Mets who give us the info. Learn so much just by reading your analysis. Seems like this has been the most widespread good snow we've had in a long time. Add the fact that all this happened around Christmas and you've got the making of a story we will be telling for many years to come.

Looking at reports and outside, Chapel Hill appears to have really gotten screwed. I don't think we got more than 3" here and most reports from Chapel Hill are 3" or so.

I guess your part of CH got screwed...

...ORANGE COUNTY... CHAPEL HILL 5.0 835 AM 12/26

But you're right, Orange Co. Did have the lowest totals, 3-5".

That's odd. I've got a friend who lives in the Hill and he measured 7 inches. He said something about measuring on the top of a shrub though. :arrowhead:

I'm getting absolutely raked right now. Still say this isn't flow snow yet although it looks like ratios are going up. 2 more inches in the last hour and a half.

That is ODD. I've seen upslope ratios since just prior to noon today, and my high was 26.5 degrees. It's currently 22.6.

11" with moderate snow falling now. Only two inches have fallen in the past three hours though.

I have had a trip planned for tomorrow from Savannah to Chapel Hill (planned well before this storm). I'd be taking I-95 and then I-40. Then I have to travel on Highway 54 for a couple of miles at Chapel Hil, itself. I'm seriously considering postponing it due to both potentially treacherous roadways (due to being slippery from snow/ice and possibly having to deal with fallen branches) as well as possible widespread power outages in/near Chapel Hill. Does anyone near that area have an opinion as to whether I should just go ahead and delay my trip to Tue or Wed.? Is it a huge mess all over that part of NC as well on I-95 in SC and NC leading up to I-40? TIA.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'm not sure if anyone is really still reading that anymore:

If anybody wants a good trip down memory lane, go back and read the first 4-5 pages of Christmas Storm III. That was fun.

Here's a question to anyone that still might be reading this thread: The huge, anomalous, once in a lifetime storm that the Euro was coming up with the other day....what was special about the way it was phasing the energy that resulted in a 967 low just of NE NC? The real storm is a result of a phase, but obviously it phased differently than what the Euro was depicting. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

I have had a trip planned for tomorrow from Savannah to Chapel Hill (planned well before this storm). I'd be taking I-95 and then I-40. Then I have to travel on Highway 54 for a couple of miles at Chapel Hil, itself. I'm seriously considering postponing it due to both potentially treacherous roadways (due to being slippery from snow/ice and possibly having to deal with fallen branches) as well as possible widespread power outages in/near Chapel Hill. Does anyone near that area have an opinion as to whether I should just go ahead and delay my trip to Tue or Wed.? Is it a huge mess all over that part of NC as well on I-95 in SC and NC leading up to I-40? TIA.

Chapel Hill and Durham are fine and the freeways are definitely fine, at least from Raleigh westward. I was driving on both I-40 today and back roads in west Durham and aside from some slush spots, the roads are clear. They even had my neighborhood street plowed by 1 PM! East of Raleigh, I don't know. They picked up twice as much snow. But I think due to the warm ground temps, brining and aggressive plowing, the roads might be fine, certainly by tomorrow when the sun comes out.

I'm wondering if 1.9 was today's totals because I think they recorded .5 yesterday

I just got back tonight and measured about 3" on the front yard just SW of downtown CLT, so that seems about right. Streets, sidewalks and driveways are all melted and relatively clear although I'm sure some black ice will form overnight in places.

I was in SW Virginia all weekend, we basically had light to occasionally moderate snow continuously from Saturday morning until I left tonight. I drove back through Boone and had great snow there and the winds were really picking up as I drove through, great storm overall.

Great job to everyone here for great analysis and discussion, glad to see this one panned out for a lot of us.

Chapel Hill and Durham are fine and the freeways are definitely fine, at least from Raleigh westward. I was driving on both I-40 today and back roads in west Durham and aside from some slush spots, the roads are clear. They even had my neighborhood street plowed by 1 PM! East of Raleigh, I don't know. They picked up twice as much snow. But I think due to the warm ground temps, brining and aggressive plowing, the roads might be fine, certainly by tomorrow when the sun comes out.

Thanks Widre, much appreciated. This sounds quite good for travel in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill corridor and is quite helpful info.

However, since I have to first get to that corridor. I'm curious about the stretch of I-40 between I-95 and Raleigh as well as I-95 south of I-40 as I did see many 7-9" amounts there. I realize they may be OK by later tomorrow with the sunshine, but I'm still curious if anyone in/near those areas knows much about those road conditions based on their own experiences today? TIA

Thanks Widre, much appreciated. This sounds quite good for travel in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill corridor and is quite helpful info.

However, since I have to first get to that corridor. I'm curious about the stretch of I-40 between I-95 and Raleigh as well as I-95 south of I-40 as I did see many 7-9" amounts there. I realize they may be OK by later tomorrow with the sunshine, but I'm still curious if anyone in/near those areas knows much about those road conditions based on their own experiences today? TIA

Even I-540 late this morning in NE Raleigh was clear. I doubt it'll be much of a problem.

Archived