• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May Discobs 2024

George BM

I know we had/have a couple of nice days... but when are we going to break this pattern... After tomorrow, it looks unsettled for like a week straight.

I have no issues with 80, partly sunny and storm chances. It’s the low clouds that take until an hour before sunset to break up along with 55-60 degree temps that can I do without. I’m hoping we’ve graduated from that pattern.
  • Like 4

On 5/4/2024 at 8:46 AM, IronTy said:

What year is that from?  Looks like a throwback classic from old TWC local forecast graphics from my childhood.  

It is an old school TWC emulator. I have it set up locally on my home network using IIS. That said, I'd rather not make my local network public.

But here is a some public stuff you can try...

battaglia.ddns.net/twc

There is a problem with that site. Only the main locations work. For example, Baltimore City works but Pasadena does not. This is due to some bad wind data which cause the script to stall. I have told the guy that hosts the site, though I don't think he fixed it yet. I believe he may be looking for some more info from me. I know what the problem is because my server works on the localized sites.

It is a windows based server.

Here is another that is very similar. It is linux based (no music/smooth jazz).

weatherstar.netbymatt.com

I also run a version of it locally on my linux server.

Here is one that I run locally on IIS, but also have a public version on github.

https://kaosfactor.github.io/

It defaults to Pasadena, but you can change the location if you like. It is based off of the intellistar (newer) hardware. Where as the others are weatherstar based.

Please note the the radar is only for our region in this version.

image.png.d715e0e703b2a7d09a671f9aeaa97dda.png

That version uses low-rez radar. I use it it with my Fire TV. The Fire TV chokes on the hi-rez version.

image.png?ex=66562a70&is=6654d8f0&hm=4b8

And finally, another version from me. This one defaults to DC and uses hi-rez multi-location radar.

image.png.9bbebaf6c7e38c2578d1b3c9f1b5a221.png

https://k-a-0-s.github.io/

Here is some info regarding the hardware...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherStar

Hope that answers your questions.

• Like 1

Every pattern produces warmer than forecasted temps here.

We’ve had a lot of cooler than expected tho lol. The issue is we haven’t had much in between. Our winters follow that type of variance, too. Last year we had a lot of 70s, but it was accompanied by wildfire smoke…which I’ll pass on.

11 hours ago, Interstate said:

I wonder why NWS Point and Click Forecast are not working.

2 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Still not working from NWS Blacksburg as of 8 pm....

What part isn’t working? How do you get to it when it works?

4 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

What part isn’t working? How do you get to it when it works?

On main page if you click on a location it goes to a screen that looks like this, also none of the 'main topics' (forecast, rivers and streams, current conditions) open their dropdowns. 

You can type the zip or a location in the box and hit go and it works though. 

image.thumb.png.57bb5e903275044f3fa5da3f88721a03.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Wow this thing is whopping  a punch The wind is crazy. Lot of lightning before then when the cell hit the wind driven rain was loud. Our bedroom faces west so got the brunt of it. 

IMG_0730.thumb.png.ff75d1848837330176b33030102979f3.png

Driving home from Baltimore last night, I saw a couple flashes of lightning from that storm. When I checked radar, I couldn’t believe how far away it was.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Driving home from Baltimore last night, I saw a couple flashes of lightning from that storm. When I checked radar, I couldn’t believe how far away it was.

Had another one skirt just to the South of me about 25 min later. Caught the North edge of it and got more thunder and lightning a some more rain. Pretty tame compared to that earlier one. For such a small cell it was more intense than some of the lines that have come through here. Got .41” from the two, .30” was just from the first one. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Wow this thing is whopping  a punch The wind is crazy. Lot of lightning before then when the cell hit the wind driven rain was loud. Our bedroom faces west so got the brunt of it. 

IMG_0730.thumb.png.ff75d1848837330176b33030102979f3.png

Saw that cell (one of only 2-3 smallish cells left on radar at that point) dead-on targeting B.Creek on my final radar check last evening and thought, "Bet Mrs. J stays up for this one." Sounds like you didn't have a choice...  ;) 

Currently 69 and muggy. Some showers to our SW threatened to graze us 30 min ago...like yesterday afternoon's storms, they've missed us, but a line of stronger showers, maybe some lightning, getting its act together and heading this way now.

Gotta head out to cover the patio tables/chairs...so much for working out there today.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Saw that cell (one of only 2-3 smallish cells left on radar at that point) dead-on targeting B.Creek on my final radar check last evening and thought, "Bet Mrs. J stays up for this one." Sounds like you didn't have a choice...  ;) 

Currently 69 and muggy. Some showers to our SW threatened to graze us 30 min ago...like yesterday afternoon's storms, they've missed us, but a line of stronger showers, maybe some lightning, getting its act together and heading this way now.

Gotta head out to cover the patio tables/chairs...so much for working out there today.

Yeah I was watching it take a straight on path to my area. The size of it I just expected a quick normal garden variety cell. Was so wrong. I enjoyed it :D

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic