• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Yeah I've installed around May 1st in years past so it's a bit late this year, but not by much

I dunno, 3 weeks is substantially later......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All those years of open windows and exposing kids to pollen every spring with refusing to install. We mentioned this would happen 

Nah this year was bad. Back to open windows after today. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS says install next week.

I installed bedroom AC last night, no air flow and couldn't sleep. a little earlier than usual, but I don't care as long as I can sleep. For that, I am ok with lighting my money on fire (paying electric bill)

10 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

I installed bedroom AC last night, no air flow and couldn't sleep. a little earlier than usual, but I don't care as long as I can sleep. For that, I am ok with lighting my money on fire (paying electric bill)

To me…comfort is worth paying a little extra for the added AC. 

• Like 1

You installers should consider mini splits.  I had window and wall mount ACs in my older home which is steam heat, no ducting.  3 yrs ago I installed 1 mini split with 2 heads and I will never look back at windows again.  How many heads you need is going to vary house to house of course.  I had mine installed professionally (huge BTU unit), but you can buy DIY kits and it doesn't seem too hard for a middle of the roader handyman.  I could have done a small single head.   I spend about 20% less for cooling season, but the house is way more comfortable.  Those things dehumidify especially well.  They also heat - shoulder season it's cheaper than oil for sure. 

I also recommend an electric heat pump water heater if you need to replace an electric one and you don't have gas.  Keeps my basement cool and dry all year, and cheap hot water to boot!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

You installers should consider mini splits.  I had window and wall mount ACs in my older home which is steam heat, no ducting.  3 yrs ago I installed 1 mini split with 2 heads and I will never look back at windows again.  How many heads you need is going to vary house to house of course.  I had mine installed professionally (huge BTU unit), but you can buy DIY kits and it doesn't seem too hard for a middle of the roader handyman.  I could have done a small single head.   I spend about 20% less for cooling season, but the house is way more comfortable.  Those things dehumidify especially well.  They also heat - shoulder season it's cheaper than oil for sure. 

I also recommend an electric heat pump water heater if you need to replace an electric one and you don't have gas.  Keeps my basement cool and dry all year, and cheap hot water to boot!

Yeah I have. On the to-do list, but I have a few others on that list taking precedence. 

34 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I'm getting an estimate at the end of the month.

It's not just about the installation.  That too, but mostly it's about a fraction of the per annum energy cost to heat and cool the edifice of the home. 

Plus the sound controls.  Jesus. Install A.C.s that don't sound like an emissions control test at an aeronautical proving ground cost a lot, plus are less efficient to even run.   In the winter, my house has electric base board heaters.  redic

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's not just about the installation.  That too, but mostly it's about a fraction of the per annum energy cost to heat and cool the edifice of the home. 

Plus the sound controls.  Jesus. Install A.C.s that don't sound like an emissions control test at an aeronautical proving ground cost a lot, plus are less efficient to even run.   In the winter, my house has electric base board heaters.  redic

I don't hear mine at all.  Only if the fan is on BOOST, and it's just the whoosh of air.  

We still have a window unit in a far-flung room of the upstairs, and when that compressor kicks on, you can feel the vibration propagate through the walls.  It's got a resonance.  Stick frame house, but any material can do that.

Tell you another thing - our wall mounted units (same as window ones basically) also had mold growth we didn't notice until removal.  Can't be good.

I don't think I paid much mind to the heating aspect when I bought it.  But boy that was a pleasant surprise.  It's not going to be too efficient below 25 degrees or so, but for quickly heating up a house or shoulder seasons, it's perfect.  I heat mostly with pellets when cold, but between those 2 things, I used less than 1/4 tank of oil all year.  It wasn't cold, but that is same ratio as other winters.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Why is there so much cool water above the gulf stream?  Just seems weird 

2BF16A0F-228D-4187-9215-08F9686C3F35.png.bf9aabd84782828763620ac715d48a8d.png

I wonder if those maps struggle with resolution given how narrow the Gulf Stream is. With differences in resolution between climo and observations you wind up with some weird looking dipoles (you can see the really warm anomalies next to really cold). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You'll save money on heating/cooling and get a write off on taxes so helps you there too. My sister put them in and saves quite a bit, I put a similar concept hybrid system and spent as much on heating as when I used my wood stove, so hardly used my stove last winter, electric bills for AC are way down to from out old system.

8 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I wonder if those maps struggle with resolution given how narrow the Gulf Stream is. With differences in resolution between climo and observations you wind up with some weird looking dipoles (you can see the really warm anomalies next to really cold). 

Have to look online, but I wonder what ERSST vs maps would show (though I'm not sure how up-to-date that data is available for). IIRC, that version has one of the best resolutions.

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I have. On the to-do list, but I have a few others on that list taking precedence. 

you won't regret it!  What sold me was that I saw them all over China and other hot AF places in Asia.  It was a billion degrees kelvin and super humidity everywhere, and those units were relied on ubiquitously.  Figured they must know something.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

you won't regret it!  What sold me was that I saw them all over China and other hot AF places in Asia.  It was a billion degrees kelvin and super humidity everywhere, and those units were relied on ubiquitously.  Figured they must know something.  

We're getting them installed this year, and are doing so exclusively for the cooling aspect.  I'm in PWM so we're not nearly as hot as SNE, especially with the sea breeze, but we've been using window units more and more frequently the last few years and I don't see that changing, so why not reduce the electric cost.  I'm sure ROI will be a few years, but I won't ever have to install (or listen to them) again so that's a win.

44 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Thanks! It was kind of blowing my mind that there was such a difference.