• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter 2024

George BM

I'm probably late to the party on this one but my god is twitter a mess now.  It was always a god awful place to get any political news from, but used to be if I was careful about who I followed my feed was 90% weather, soccer, and philly sports.  1 in 10 posts would be some BS nonsense.  But now...its the reverse.  No matter how many crazies I block my feed is 90% batshit crazy conspiracy nonsense, blatant racist garbage, or BS political takes.  I have to scroll through piles of BS to find anything I am interested in.  WTF 

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm probably late to the party on this one but my god is twitter a mess now.  It was always a god awful place to get any political news from, but used to be if I was careful about who I followed my feed was 90% weather, soccer, and philly sports.  1 in 10 posts would be some BS nonsense.  But now...its the reverse.  No matter how many crazies I block my feed is 90% batshit crazy conspiracy nonsense, blatant racist garbage, or BS political takes.  I have to scroll through piles of BS to find anything I am interested in.  WTF 

Yeah this isn't new. Thank Elon.

• Like 1

Well it is official. Oldest Ms J let us know that she will be studying in Prague in the fall. As part of the AU Abroad program she will be attending one of the oldest film schools in Europe. And the rest of the family has decided that we will all go and pick her up in December. I have always wanted to see the Christmas Markets. And as her program end date is December 19th we are heading over for the Holidays. 

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Well it is official. Oldest Ms J let us know that she will be studying in Prague in the fall. As part of the AU Abroad program she will be attending one of the oldest film schools in Europe. And the rest of the family has decided that we will all go and pick her up in December. I have always wanted to see the Christmas Markets. And as her program end date is December 19th we are heading over for the Holidays. 

That's great news and is a great experience for her!  Trying to get mine to look at the abroad program they have in London.  She initially wanted to and now is not so sure.  

• Like 1

This feels like Game 162 of 2011 all over again.

Caps win - in

Caps lose (in any fashion) and Red Wings win - Detroit in

Caps and Detroit loses and Penguins win - Pittsburgh in

Then there's Philly. Philly has to beat the Caps in regulation, and hope the Pens and Wings lose in regulation. Philly is in on the FIFTH tiebreaker. 

32 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

This feels like Game 162 of 2011 all over again.

Caps win - in

Caps lose (in any fashion) and Red Wings win - Detroit in

Caps and Detroit loses and Penguins win - Pittsburgh in

Then there's Philly. Philly has to beat the Caps in regulation, and hope the Pens and Wings lose in regulation. Philly is in on the FIFTH tiebreaker. 

If the Caps/Flyers game is showing the Caps ahead by 1 or 2 mid-way through the third, the Flyers could pull their goalie much earlier than normal in the third since OT does the Flyers no good as you alluded to.     The Wings game is the same time as the game in Philly so if the Wings are winning handily, it may dictate how the Flyers play the third if close.    It would have been even crazier if the Pitt game was set for tonight.  

So. Dune Chapter Two. Who's seen it? I've clearly missed my opportunity to see it on the big screen. But I loved Denis Villanueve's interpretation of the "first half" from a couple years ago and purchased the digital version immediately back then.

Full disclosure -- I'm...mostly...still a fan of the creepy 1984 version of Dune directed by David Lynch, but Villaneuve has clearly nailed the more modern/artistic vision of what I think Frank Herbert would want.  :)

I'm thinking I just need to go ahead and purchase Chapter Two as well. But if there are impressions out there...please share.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

So. Dune Chapter Two. Who's seen it? I've clearly missed my opportunity to see it on the big screen. But I loved Denis Villanueve's interpretation of the "first half" from a couple years ago and purchased the digital version immediately back then.

Full disclosure -- I'm...mostly...still a fan of the creepy 1984 version of Dune directed by David Lynch, but Villaneuve has clearly nailed the more modern/artistic vision of what I think Frank Herbert would want.  :)

I'm thinking I just need to go ahead and purchase Chapter Two as well. But if there are impressions out there...please share.

One of the best movies I’ve seen in a theater 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Flyers were already eliminated when they pulled their goalie.    Crazy timing to end that game. 

I wonder how DET fans feels about the Flyers pulling their goalie with 3 minutes to go in a tie game.  I think the Flyers did the right thing, that is all they could do.  They needed to win in regulation. 

22 hours ago, Interstate said:

I wonder how DET fans feels about the Flyers pulling their goalie with 3 minutes to go in a tie game.  I think the Flyers did the right thing, that is all they could do.  They needed to win in regulation. 

If the Wings game had gone to OT just a min or two earlier, Flyers may not pull as the win did nothing for them.   Regardless of the pull, someone had to win the Caps game so Caps may have won in OT and eliminate the Wings anyway. 

34 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The USDA should not have changed the zones this year. People are going to lose their gardens. I kept my stuff in the greenhouse. But this is why you dont fuck with planting calendars if you are the government. 

gfs_T2m_neus_27.png

What calendars did they put out?  I only know the hardiness zones which is about wintering over.

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

What calendars did they put out?  I only know the hardiness zones which is about wintering over.

They changed the Shen Valley zone this year. I ignored it. Because I know my yard. April to early May frosts are normal.  Bigger question for me is WHAT or WHO made them change it?

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2023/usda-unveils-updated-plant-hardiness-zone-map/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

They changed the Shen Valley zone this year. I ignored it. Because I know my yard. April to early May frosts are normal.  Bigger question for me is WHAT or WHO made them change it?

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2023/usda-unveils-updated-plant-hardiness-zone-map/

But that link has nothing to do with growing season.  It is about what can survive based off of the coldest temperatures of the winter.  You know, don’t plant a mango tree in Vermont.  I haven’t seen anything from USDA that tells you when to put tomatoes out.  Now, some seed companies may use the zones as proxies to give you a general timeline, but they also usually caveat that with plant specific guidelines.

Photographers out there...B-52 is going to do a low flyover of Arlington Cemetery around 11:40 apparently. The aircraft is currently holding over the Calvert County area. Anybody from from JB Andrews WNW to Alexandria/Arlington and then just NW of Arlington may get a photo-op from this. People farther out - it will depend how the aircraft departs the area. Guessing MoCo is out of luck as this airframe will probably head back to Barksdale after. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The USDA should not have changed the zones this year. People are going to lose their gardens. I kept my stuff in the greenhouse. But this is why you dont fuck with planting calendars if you are the government. 

gfs_T2m_neus_27.png

Yep, only cold hardy stuff out now. I generally don't put anything that likes warm (or dislikes cold) until May 15-20. 

Anyone done proper Midwest storm chasing? My family vacation plans for May got disrupted but I’m still debating taking the time I had scheduled off for myself… I’m gonna be over my PTO allotment if I don’t use it soon.

Trying to get a sense of the cost of existing as a storm chaser for a week - hotels, gas, rental car (with insurance, lmao). No idea if it’s worth the struggle but it strikes me as the kind of vacation that could work solo if I had to take a solo trip.