Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter 2024

George BM

10 hours ago, 87storms said:

You mean you don’t miss overpriced resorts, schlepping skis all over the place, and having to wear 25 lbs of gear?

I’m exaggerating, but there are definitely reasons why I haven’t skied in a while. Long story short…it’s kind of a drag lol.

I’m due for a trip, though…maybe next winter I’ll shake the rust off.

That said, I do enjoy hiking in the snow…was hoping for more of those opps this past winter.

THIS ^^ this or snowshoeing thru deep stuff is what I like to do nowadays. 

THIS ^^ this or snowshoeing thru deep stuff is what I like to do nowadays. 

One thing I like about hiking is that I’m moving my legs. I’ve skied out west several times in pure powder and it’s pretty great, but it is a restrictive movement. That was always my least favorite part of it…otherwise, it’s pretty cool being able to glide down a mountain…especially when it’s snowing.

I haven’t tried snowshoeing, but I do have Snowshoe on my list lol.

19 hours ago, Jebman said:

I am jealous. Mid Atlantic will get 3 inches of rain. All I eked out of that system was a half inch. You guys get all the luck (and all the beneficial rain).

Some of us are going to need some details on the weather to expect come eclipse time. Looking forward to being out your way.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:50 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Some of us are going to need some details on the weather to expect come eclipse time. Looking forward to being out your way.

Expect Wall to Wall sunshine and wide deep blue Texas skies! We will have excellent eclipse weather for all of you who come on down here! Expect temps in the 80s and mid to upper 60s dewpoints, steady southeasterlies. 

On 3/20/2024 at 12:36 PM, psuhoffman said:

@Maestrobjwa I agree with others...don't go out west to learn how to ski.  Liberty near Gettysburg is actually a good mountain to learn.  I taught my kids there.  The best time to learn IMO would actually be a warmer day when there would be less distraction from being cold or overly bundled up nor the need to buy a bunch of skiing specific clothes you might never use again...and the snow will be soft and mushy.  You don't want icy conditions when trying to learn.  

Thank you, @uncletim, @snownut   ,and the rest of you for your input! At a little over an hour and a half away, Liberty is definitely is a doable drive for me, so that one will definitely on the short list :lol: This is the first year I'm actually giving legit consideration to the idea!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stormy said:

22 early this morning. 

11 years ago this morning was a winter wonderland at my place!  6.5 inches of snow and 28 degrees. 3.5 inches fell on Palm Sunday afternoon and 3 more inches Sunday night. Mar. 25, 2013.

And speaking of Palm Sunday...a Baltimore history page on FB shared these pictures yesterday: The Palm Sunday storm of 1942! :D

A great shot of it still snowing At the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Baltimore City) c. 3/29/1942:

FB_IMG_1711394134917.thumb.jpg.55d276228bb154fc845cebdeb02f9f91.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

Yeah, holy smokes on the bridge collapse. Not a good day in Maryland. RIP for those who are lost. This is going to have regional impacts for a long time.

The 4am wake up call for that was surreal. Weather isn't going to cooperate too much after tonight, with possible coastal flooding, rain, low ceilings, and wind.

From where I live, I could see the Key Bridge on a clear day. It's so fortunate that the mayday call went out prior to the bridge strike, and the bridge was shut down in time to prevent more loss of life. Hopefully those 6 workers that were on the bridge can be found.

The logistical nightmare from this is insane. The Port itself closed for weeks for shipping traffic, travel itself being redirected all around Baltimore for years due to the bridge reconstruction.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yet ANOTHER massive storm cycle for Mammoth/Palisades starting tonight into Sunday night, could be as much as FOUR FEET of fresh snow!!!!!

Plenty of refills and more than enough of the goods for all! This is a good time to head for the Sierra for some great turns! Great spring skiing!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 12:47 PM, RickinBaltimore said:

From where I live, I could see the Key Bridge on a clear day. It's so fortunate that the mayday call went out prior to the bridge strike, and the bridge was shut down in time to prevent more loss of life. Hopefully those 6 workers that were on the bridge can be found.

The logistical nightmare from this is insane. The Port itself closed for weeks for shipping traffic, travel itself being redirected all around Baltimore for years due to the bridge reconstruction.

Companies will have to have their goods retrucked then repicked up at another port, for G-d knows how long. Its gonna cost them tons then we get to pay up.

Someone needs to pay BIG for this shyte. This is ridiculous! They KNEW that boat had power problems! They used that son of a birch ANYWAY! Russia has the right idea. You pull that shyte in Murmansk, you get awarded a quarter in Siberia! That entire boat crew needs to be utterly destroyed in court, then in the Supermax in Colorado with no mercy!

27 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Mammoth and Palisades are both under the gun for heavy snow again!

It's been snowin and blowin all day!

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams#tab=palisades

Snow will pour down hard into late Sunday night!

Average high in DC is now 60. Bye bye winter. I’m ready for spring. 

25 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Average high in DC is now 60. Bye bye winter. I’m ready for spring. 

Average high in Austin is now 73. However, I am still up for and I am definitely ALL IN for BIG crippling Sierra snows!

I NEVER get enough. Not even in a killer ice age.

Like James Bond said, The World Is Not Enough. Hoth is a fictional world but if it were real, Hoth would not be enough. I NEVER ever get enough snow, ice and vodka Siberian COLD and 190 mph Sierran wind gusts blowing that snow right off the lodge roof! And savoring all the ski patrol crews getting completely punked out from digging snow!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

Average high in Austin is now 73. However, I am still up for and I am definitely ALL IN for BIG crippling Sierra snows!

I NEVER get enough. Not even in a killer ice age.

Like James Bond said, The World Is Not Enough. Hoth is a fictional world but if it were real, Hoth would not be enough. I NEVER ever get enough snow, ice and vodka Siberian COLD and 190 mph Sierran wind gusts blowing that snow right off the lodge roof! And savoring all the ski patrol crews getting completely punked out from digging snow!

I love that you love seeing it dump in the Sierras. I'm going to Tahoe the first week of May for work and plan to spend a day or two spring skiing at Palisades... looks like they'll be running well into late May at least! I've never been out there so really looking forward to it. Unbelievable 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic