Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

24 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yeah a couple days in the '60s is not what I would describe as a torch. Sure, it's good bit above climate norms but it's not like anyone's going to be hitting the beach.

March 2012 ain't walking in anyone's door. Typical March with steep variations day to day. I stand by my call Mid March to Mid April BN by a few. Brownies and all

28 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yeah a couple days in the '60s is not what I would describe as a torch. Sure, it's good bit above climate norms but it's not like anyone's going to be hitting the beach.

60s are a torch. Hopefully sunny by then. I am all in for the heat but alas it's New England and it's spring have to keep reality in check. The pattern change to cooler weather is coming. 

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s what has happened all winter. It happened with the Dec cold shot which vanished.. Jan cold shot ended up normal and the vaunted epic Feb ended up one week and really was normal averaged out . Same thing in Morch coming except higher sun angle and a torched , snowless Canada, ice free Great Lakes. Do the math …. Whale em up 

Persistence forecasting is great until it isnt.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

March 2012 ain't walking in anyone's door. Typical March with steep variations day to day. I stand by my call Mid March to Mid April BN by a few. Brownies and all

Typical +11.3 here so far

image.png

• Haha 3

32.0F  Light to almost moderate snow.   Where did this come from?   It started an hour ago with snow grains which I assumed was from the moist low level flow.  Over the past 15 minutes it's legit snow with goof flakage.  Ground is dusting white.  Edit:  Snow back to very light

Could this be a real birch bender/blue bomb up here tonight?  If so we are redy. Recently bought a Jackery solar generator. 1000plus.  No more starting the genny outside and dealing with all that at 1 in the morning.  This is quiet power, no cords running outside anymore.  I charged it yesterday via the sun and it should run refrig, lights etc. for 24 hours if need be.  Honda genny is still here for backup.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

32.0F  Light to almost moderate snow.   Where did this come from?   It started an hour ago with snow grains which I assumed was from the moist low level flow.  Over the past 15 minutes it's legit snow with goof flakage.  Ground is dusting white.  Edit:  Snow back to very light

Could this be a real birch bender/blue bomb up here tonight?  If so we are redy. Recently bought a Jackery solar generator. 1000plus.  No more starting the genny outside and dealing with all that at 1 in the morning.  This is quiet power, no cords running outside anymore.  I charged it yesterday via the sun and it should run refrig, lights etc. for 24 hours if need be.  Honda genny is still here for backup.  

Nice, 2k watts is not bad at all for the money.  These things are way more viable than they were not long ago.  Was just outside and it feels like snow despite my expectations for almost none from this.  Makes me feel better to know that it's not that far away.

1 minute ago, bobbutts said:

Nice, 2k watts is not bad at all for the money.  These things are way more viable than they were not long ago.

32F snow has stopped

Bobutts,  for me it's not about the money anyway but the convience of not dealing with gas,oil, fumes and setup outside.  Keep it in the closet, pull it in and plug stuff in.  Go back to bed.  Woodstove provides heat.

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

32F snow has stopped

Bobutts,  for me it's not about the money anyway but the convience of not dealing with gas,oil, fumes and setup outside.  Keep it in the closet, pull it in and plug stuff in.  Go back to bed.  Woodstove provides heat.

Yeah, I just mean you would have had to pay a ton for something that didn't work well 10 years ago and now that's not the case.

43 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

60s are a torch. Hopefully sunny by then. I am all in for the heat but alas it's New England and it's spring have to keep reality in check. The pattern change to cooler weather is coming. 

Could care less about heat, give me 50-60 and sunny and I will take that for a 3-4 weeks stretch 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

It's fine to show LR anomalies, but I'd rather the overall trends as we move forward.  I'd wager the "cold" shot(s)  will tend moderate a bit as we get closer.

My "theory" on why that may be favored is two-fold. 

One ... simply put, the models bias amplitude wrt just about any/all facets out in time.   Doesn't matter whether it's temp extremes (either direction), or the specter/size and amplitude of some cyclone,  ...or just the governing synoptics that tote along these potentials itself, whatever you see on a D8 chart, it'll be some 5 ... 40% less than it's original specter when it's inside of 3 days.  I don't know why that is so...  It may just be an unavoidable artifact/emergent property of the technology.

Two ... in mid March, seasonal forcing adds to that.  The sun pulverizing air masses now on either side of the boundaries, and then mixing that ...changes the thermodynamic state of the hemisphere.  Not sure why this is, but the models also for some reason can't handle this, either. They seem to take whatever thermal state of the hemisphere is in place per a particular initialization, and then as they process out in time ... what we are observing is their 'cleansing' the warmth out of the run - it's like they don't have physics in them for seasonal forcing ( a little tongue in cheek here).  Whatever the cause...

These two aspects make the amplitude and those ECM AI type solutions kind of in a boxing match with wisdom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who’s ready for another 2-4” of rain ?!

The amount of water pouring and flowing out of hillsides around here is amazing 

3IUUtqT.jpeg

Lol, doesn’t matter if it’s rain or snow, Keene is such a precipitation screw zone. 
Shadowed in every direction.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_43.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_45.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_46.png

Well, this has been pretty consistent on the models over the last several days for the 20th time frame. Will see what happens then. There was a storm we had in the March 21st to 23rd time frame in 2018 that dropped it decent among the snow in the tri-state area, especially New York City South. There is also a couple of others years ago that dropped a good amount in the Northeast.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Well, this has been pretty consistent on the models over the last several days for the 20th time frame. Will see what happens then. There was a storm we had in the March 21st to 23rd time frame in 2018 that dropped it decent among the snow in the tri-state area, especially New York City South. There is also a couple of others years ago that dropped a good amount in the Northeast.

That storm dumped 20” in a narrow area over LI. 

• Thanks 2