Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

Just now, ma blizzard said:

yeeesh hate to lose another one ... feels like a changing of the guard. 

Even as a kid...I get the big piles stuff...but I remember helping my Dad snow blow and then spending the rest of the time out playing in it. So I guess I always looked at it from a different POV. But shovel or no shovel, you still admire the big events and deep snow just as much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

I held on until age 74 when I deemed it prudent to minimize my back strain.  But in fairness, during my 60 hour per week work years I hired people beginning at age 69.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Snow blower without a question. Screw shoveling. I can get hours of my life back by snow blowing. Besides when the snow melts and only piles remain, that does nothing because deep down I know they're artificial. 

When I was young and foolish (I'm no longer young) I shoveled, and then in Fort Kent graduated to the snow scoop, at least for the driveway (and roof).  Still shoveled the walk and porch.  It wasn't until my dad passed in Dec 1993 that I claimed his Craftsman Trac-26 as part of my one-third of the estate - one brother lived in VA, the other in SoCal so no conflicts.
(I also used an all-metal single-stage machine dad bought after 1960-61 [storms of 18, 20 and 24"] when it was my turn for the driveway.  It was 3 years before we had a storm bigger than 6" but kids like noisy, clunky things.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I held on until age 74 when I deemed it prudent to minimize my back strain.  But in fairness, during my 60 hour per week work years I hired people beginning at age 69.

You are the gold standard we all hope to reach! Btw any memories of the ratters I mentioned? :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

Just to make you happy, I reverted back this year.  My snowblower went down with the first wet, heavy snow in December and I never got it fixed.  I don't shovel though, I use a snow scoop.  Much better than a shovel and not much worse than a snowblower.  

image.jpeg.48b1cb7876d6461c924d25d1409b493c.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks a healthy upslope signal for Mon-Tues in NVT. I think we’re cooked here but north and west of me should do OK on Sunday. Can we do 4” inches of rain in first 10 days of March in the foothills of the white mountains? 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Just to make you happy, I reverted back this year.  My snowblower went down with the first wet, heavy snow in December and I never got it fixed.  I don't shovel though, I use a snow scoop.  Much better than a shovel and not much worse than a snowblower.  

My old Craftsman died at the end of 2006-07; engine ran fine but moved only in reverse due to badly worn - with no replacements - parts.  Next winter included the 24.5" dump atop the 27" pack in late Feb, and we (son was at home and this event helped to convince him to move back to southern Japan) spent 6 hours scooping just the main part of the driveway, creating slanted piles 8+ feet high.  2009-10, the winter destroyed by the early Jan retro-bomb, featured the late Feb slop-fest that, after 10.7" of 4:1 mashed potatoes and 1.1" cold RA, left 8" of 3:1 cement atop thawed driveway, and was a harder push with the scoop than the 2-foot powder dump the year before.  Bought a new machine early Jan 2011.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I follow a Maine Snowmobile page, and people are wrapping it up this week, even up north.  Sure, you can find some snow in the woods, but getting there, in and out with the sled there are some real sh.it zones...bear dirt, and mud.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maybe becoming a wuss but man today feels cold as shit even though it's not really that cold temp wise.

I was thinking the same.  My high was 41° and most early March days that would feel warm.  Today is raw and cold.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ginx is sounding the snow alarms. They coming he says!

Never once did I say snow alarms. I said over and over its a wholesale pattern change totally unlike March 12. More and more confident every day. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tunafish said:

LOL @ that being a sign of shutting everything down. 

Camden Snow Bowl is a 1200' hill right on the ocean.  They're always the first to shut down.

My first thought.  But it's a brutal year for sure. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

All good until the piles get big or wet snow.

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

if you shovel properly, use decent footwear, and aren't horribly out of shape, there is a 99.99999% chance you'll never hurt your back.

I'll have you come up next year and show me how to shovel a 150' driveway with 8" of mash potatoes properly, Deal?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3